300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Service Officer (CSO) position opinion

I was hoping someone may have some better knowledge on the Community Service Officer position than me. The position I am applying for currently is paid unlike other departments where this position is unpaid. I am currently in the testing process for a bunch of departments around the area and figured the CSO position would be a great way to get my foot in the door and maybe have a better chance receiving a job with that specific department. Basically the position is explained on the website as sort of a supplemental patrol job to help relieve some of the duties from regular patrol officers.

My questions:
    1) What are your opinions relating to the CSO position?
    2) Do you think this will help when a position in patrol opens up?

Also, sort of a random question from which I am just curious. I have been an intern with the Office of Inspector General and have worked with the FBI, all unpaid intern work. I have received letter's of recommondation from both Special Agents in Charge of both agencies and am wondering whether or not to attach them to applications when I turn them in, even though they do not ask. Is there any negative attachment that goes along with doing this? I figure it can't hurt.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by mpb226; 03-12-2011, 10:23 AM.

Paid CSO positions are becoming more prevalent in the era of "Doing more with less"

Departments are trying to move jobs that really don't need a sworn officer to a civilian (CSO) position. Many are taking phone in reports, doing some basic traffic direction, and entering data into the computer. Some CSO's are even doing MORE, but that is dependent on the department rules.

It is a good way to get your foot in the door.....................you will be working around the officers & they will quickly see your work ethic. Your name will get around the department and it will be familiar when you apply for an opening in the sworn ranks.

Attach copies of your recommendations. It won't hurt.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It seems the CSO position deals with a lot of supplemental work, almost like a paid internship which is still an upgrade for me. Worth a try, if it'll help me down the road. Thanks for your fast response.

Comment

I was a CSO for a city before I became a deputy. I started in the crime prevention office talking at schools and public events, giving crime prevention tips and doing home and businesss inspections. I then moved to the patrol bureau where I handled parking enforcement and non workable reports (like come home and find your house burge'd with no suspect information).

If you do a good job and fit in (mind your manners) it can help. It could also kill any chance you have with that agency if you screw it up
        Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
          I was a CSO for a city before I became a deputy. I started in the crime prevention office talking at schools and public events, giving crime prevention tips and doing home and businesss inspections. I then moved to the patrol bureau where I handled parking enforcement and non workable reports (like come home and find your house burge'd with no suspect information).

If you do a good job and fit in (mind your manners) it can help. It could also kill any chance you have with that agency if you screw it up
          The city I applied for mentioned aspects of the patrol bureau you mentioned like parking enforcement, traffic control, motorist assist, and ordinance violations. I'm not sure what intra-departmental services mean but that is also included in the description. I know state agency atomosphere is most likely different than a federal atmosphere but I should be fine fitting in. I turned in my resume and should receive a response within the next four weeks so hopefully I get the job.

Comment

I'm not sworn, but I am a CSO, so I can tell you what I have learned. If mods take issue with this, PM me, delete my post, ban me...whatever you feel is proper course. I'll understand.

To answer number 2 (since I cant really answer number 1) If you do things right, work hard, and don't do too much you'll win respect from the full timers, who, when the times rolls around, will advocate for your hiring. At least, that how it works where I am. CSOs pretty much feed into the full time force. Not always, as most will leave, but those that really want to work with the dept end up there. And with this economy, that is huge. Thinking of all the full times (force is around 50), most of them started with the summer program (at the time they were sworn seasonals). There is currently 3 in the academy for my dept, and all 3 have roots in the summer program.

I hope that illustrates that if you play your cards right, work hard, and like another poster said mind your business and "don't do too much" (aka clog the radio with BS/interrupt priority calls with BS/start trouble with citizens/be a PITA to everybody/jump radio calls/be a hero etc...), you may find yourself with a job offer.

Good luck.
            NYPD
            Exam Taken 10/31/09
            Exam: #0308 Score:91.XXX%
            List Number: 5xx

PPB
            Exam: Passed
            PAT: Passed
            Oral Board: Passed
            Background Investigation: Ongoing

Massachusetts Civil Service
            Exam: 4/30 Awaiting Results

NPD CSO Summer 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Phouse70 View Post
              I'm not sworn, but I am a CSO, so I can tell you what I have learned. If mods take issue with this, PM me, delete my post, ban me...whatever you feel is proper course. I'll understand.

To answer number 2 (since I cant really answer number 1) If you do things right, work hard, and don't do too much you'll win respect from the full timers, who, when the times rolls around, will advocate for your hiring. At least, that how it works where I am. CSOs pretty much feed into the full time force. Not always, as most will leave, but those that really want to work with the dept end up there. And with this economy, that is huge. Thinking of all the full times (force is around 50), most of them started with the summer program (at the time they were sworn seasonals). There is currently 3 in the academy for my dept, and all 3 have roots in the summer program.

I hope that illustrates that if you play your cards right, work hard, and like another poster said mind your business and "don't do too much" (aka clog the radio with BS/interrupt priority calls with BS/start trouble with citizens/be a PITA to everybody/jump radio calls/be a hero etc...), you may find yourself with a job offer.

Good luck.
              Eh, this is one of those replies, which while technically not supposed to be made, it's good for the OP to get some information from a current CSO.
              Originally posted by K40
              To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
              ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

ditto^

i had a buddy who did CSO for Burlington and had a good time/learned some stuff along the way

it wont hurt any

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                  Eh, this is one of those replies, which while technically not supposed to be made, it's good for the OP to get some information from a current CSO.
                  How true..................................one of the reasons that the board is loosely moderated.

Not being picky Phouse but the correct way to handle your situation is to PM the OP with your info------but I m glad you posted it in the forum
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6164 users online. 323 members and 5841 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X