Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for advice...

hey everyone,
    i'm 27 married with 2 kids, as long as i can remember i wanted to be a cop, but right out of high school for different reasons i didn't pursue college, long story short i started working met my wife had kids etc etc.
    i lost my job last year and in the midst of trying to figure out what to do my wife came up with "you wanted to be a cop, why not pursue it now" so currently i'm registered to start school in May (law enforcement program) and i am in the process of applying to be a Reserve officer.
    my question is what else could/should do in the next 2 years to better prepare myself to get into the LE field. are there any skills that are more desirable to departments?
    thanks

Originally posted by sidvicious View Post
    are there any skills that are more desirable to departments?
    Foreign Language Skills, especially Arabic, Farsi, or Pashtu. Barring those, Spanish is pretty good too.

Oral communication skills.

Written communication skills

Computer skills, to include networking design and operation.

Accounting skills.
    The academy teaches you skills, the street gives you experience, but it all comes down to your instinct.

Comment

Originally posted by RaucousSilence View Post
      Foreign Language Skills, especially Arabic, Farsi, or Pashtu. Barring those, Spanish is pretty good too.

Accounting skills.
      Become active in your community...................................."Show you care"

Volunteer with some non profit agencies

Big Brothers

American Red Cross (become an instructor-----it might be helpful down the line)

Local Animal Shelter

Learn how to SCUBA dive & join a local SAR organization.

Check with your local departments to see if they have volunteer positions available.................

I understand you are at a crossroads in your life. You are going to need to remember that there are many experienced police officers out there that also have lost their jobs----------------------you will be competing with them as well as other non experienced people for very few jobs.................The better you stand out , the more appealing you will be.
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-12-2011, 09:25 AM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Don't waste your time/money on on a LE degree. I did, and quickly realized had I not been hired it would have left me with no back up plan and a useless degree. Pursue another career while you take tests and apply to agencies, you gotta think about your family here too. Just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          Check with your local departments to see if they have volunteer positions available.................

I understand you are at a crossroads in your life. You are going to need to remember that there are many experienced police officers out there that also have lost their jobs----------------------you will be competing with them as well as other non experienced people for very few jobs.................The better you stand out , the more appealing you will be.
          i am waiting on the background check for a reserve position at a local PD. I am fluent (speak,read and write) in spanish, when i met with the officer when i applied as a reserve he mention that spanish was a good asset since they have a large Hispanic community but only one officer that speak spanish. i know the job market sucks now and it probably won't change a whole lot in 2 years that's why I'm trying to figure out what skills/experiences will help me stand out

Originally posted by options open View Post
          Don't waste your time/money on on a LE degree. I did, and quickly realized had I not been hired it would have left me with no back up plan and a useless degree. Pursue another career while you take tests and apply to agencies, you gotta think about your family here too. Just my .02.
          appreciate the advice, my family is 100% behind me on this. otherwise i would even consider it. luckily we are in a position where we can afford me pursuing this, and worse case scenario i walk out with a degree and go back to the banking/lending industry where i have worked for the past 10 years.
          I'm at a point where i feel that if i don't give it my best shot now i won't have the opportunity again.

Comment

Originally posted by RaucousSilence View Post

Accounting skills.
            Originally posted by crass cop
            Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

my family is 100% behind me on this. otherwise i would even consider it.

This is the best part. No pressure from the homelife.
              Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Nunchuck Skills

Bowstaff Skills

Sweet Jump Skills

Cage Fighter Skills
                Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

Originally posted by brad601 View Post
                  Nunchuck Skills

Bowstaff Skills

Sweet Jump Skills

Cage Fighter Skills
                  awesome, i'm so in... i have all those skills plus i've been known to train in Rex Kwan Do

Comment

Originally posted by sidvicious View Post
                    awesome, i'm so in... i have all those skills plus i've been known to train in Rex Kwan Do
                    Ha Ha Rex KwOn do.

Ahh yess Glasshoppah. Even in trying a pun you fail. No-one practicing the discipline of Rex Kwon Do would ever misspell it.

Youahh ahttention to detairl skirlls needah much implovement.
                    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Are you in an area with a large Hmong population? If so in Minnesota it would be very valuable to be able to speak Hmong.

Comment

If you are already fluent in Spanish, Brazillian Portugeuse wouldn't be too tough to pick up. Also American Sign Language.....
                        Good luck to you.
                        Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4317 users online. 281 members and 4036 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X