300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride along, strange question . . .

I am going on a ride along with a PD that I am interested in applying with some time in the future. I am already aware that business casual is the dress most appropriate, but I have a question about my hair. I am a guy, but have long hair (pony tail long). Is this going to be something I am looked down on for? Should I cut it now? Or are men allowed to have long hair in the force just as women are, assuming it is neat and clean?

Also I have a lip ring and realize I will need to get rid of it when I begin applying, should I get rid of it now? It is not very noticeable. In fact, most people know me for months and later ask when I got my lip pierced, when it has been pierced for as long as they knew me.

Sorry, probably some wierd questions, but I appreciate your advice.

Originally posted by aclimbatize View Post
    I am a guy, but have long hair (pony tail long). Is this going to be something I am looked down on for? Should I cut it now? Or are men allowed to have long hair in the force just as women are, assuming it is neat and clean?
    Take a drive in downtown Boulder.

See how many long haired freaks with lip piercings you see in a police uniform and you will be able to answer you own question.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Disregard Iowa..hes off his meds again.

The proper tactic would be to keep your piercings in and make sure your pony tail is neat and clean. Try and meet as many of the Officers as you can and let them see you for who you are. Keep your conversation civil and questions pertinent. Its not about appearance. Its about attitude. Try and relate some form of your current job to whatever the officers are doing. Let them know that you too do the same jobs they do. If you go to a domestic let the officer know about the time you saw a guy and girl fight each other. he/she will be impressed with your experience and may even help you fill out an application.
      Originally posted by crass cop
      Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

lol at both ^^^^

Cut your hair, take the metal out of your face. You will have NO chance without doing at least that. Like it or not, that's the truth.
        Last edited by Michigan; 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
          Disregard Iowa..hes off his meds again.

Actually the meds are on-board and working quite nicely thankyouverymuch.

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
          The proper tactic would be to keep your piercings in and make sure your pony tail is neat and clean. Try and meet as many of the Officers as you can and let them see you for who you are. Keep your conversation civil and questions pertinent. Its not about appearance. Its about attitude. Try and relate some form of your current job to whatever the officers are doing. Let them know that you too do the same jobs they do. If you go to a domestic let the officer know about the time you saw a guy and girl fight each other. he/she will be impressed with your experience and may even help you fill out an application.
          I agree 100%
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I had long hair and a goatee throughout my hiring process and it didn't hurt me at all according to the folks on my oral board. Granted, I made sure that it was very neatly groomed and no hairs were out of place. I also made sure that my dress was extra professional to make up for it. Take that for what it's worth, but you almost assuredly should lose the lip piercing.

Also, I caught hell for it during the academy.

Comment

You would probably not be allowed to ride with my agency.
              Those of us that are in this profession have much thicker skins than the average person. Your "insults" are not even a good pimple on the *** of what truly bothers us. -Iowa 1603

Comment

Look Iowa, I am asking here because I want an honest straight forward answer from those with experience and expertise in such matters, not some hostile back-handed comment about men with long hair being freaks. Do you judge everyone who is different from you with such disdain and prejudice? I gave you no reason to respond in such a manner, so I would appreciate some common decency. Does long hair really make me less able to perform the tasks associated with the job more so than someone with short hair? Why is it OK for women to have long hair but not men? Are you satisfied with holding contradicting views? What are your views on tattoos? I know quite a few LEOs have tattoos, and those are permanent, a piercing can always be removed (well, not all, those crazy ear plugs leave ugly holes).

Anyways, Michigan's response was exactly I was looking for, honest, straight forward. He's right, it's not exactly what I would like to hear, but it's also not a judgement or an insult based on a physical description of someone he's never met.

I understand that most LEOs especailly those in higher ranks are going to be conservative when it comes to appearance. I appreciate those who replied with constuctive comments. I had been planning on taking out the lip ring for a while. It was one of those silly imulsive decisions made when I was no longer under my parent's roof or rules. As far as the hair, I am currious on other's perspectives as to why it may be looked down on by others in the field?

Again thanks for your advice! It always amazes me how much knowledge is contributed between people who don't even know eachother on these forums.

Comment

Why is it OK for women to have long hair but not men?
                  Are you seriously trying to go there? There is an image that police and those in uniform are expected to portray. Long hair with pony tails does not project it. First appearances will last a lifetime. I don't care if you're the best patrol officer/detective in the agency, it's the image in many cases that matters. Comparing the long hair with women vs. men is apples to oranges and to me a line that is avoiding the point.

I understand that most LEOs especailly those in higher ranks are going to be conservative when it comes to appearance.
                  Tell me how many male LEOs you see among reputable agencies that have long hair? Question answered.

As far as Iowa's response, you seem to forget that you're on a LEO forum. It's OUR house. You really don't get to dictate how officers here answer your questions. If you didn't like his response, ignore it. He's been in LE long enough to know a few things about appearance and how it plays a role in our job.

If you can't figure out why long hair is "looked down upon" then you may need to consider another line of work. Regardless of your opinion on the subject, it's the standard across the board of LE agencies. If you can't get over it, then I'm sure Chip N Dale's will love your pony tail. Only guys I know in the LE community with long hair are those that work undercover to blend in with the perps they're looking to arrest.
                  I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                    If you can't figure out why long hair is "looked down upon" then you may need to consider another line of work. Regardless of your opinion on the subject, it's the standard across the board of LE agencies. If you can't get over it, then I'm sure Chip N Dale's will love your pony tail. Only guys I know in the LE community with long hair are those that work undercover to blend in with the perps they're looking to arrest.
                    Fair enough. I was honestly just curious if there was some other reason not being stated having to do with safety, or something like that. I am not hung up on it, and will be cutting it in the next few days before my ride along. I am very seroius about this line of work and am willing to do what it takes to be able to be a LEO.

I have not forgotten that I am on a LEO forum, and understand that responses will be blunt. I have seen many of Iowa's previous posts answering many other's questions with reasonable answers and advice, and have learned a great deal from his posts alone. With that in mind, his response to my question seemed strangely hostile for no reason and I was taken aback. It strikes me as strange to take the time to answer someone's serious question with hostility; I guess I just don't understand the motivation to take that time out of your day to cut someone down when they have offered up no adequate reason to deserve such treatment. I welcome constructive feedback and again would hope that my reasonable question and respect for those offering advice be met with an equal amount of respect and decency in return. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems to be a more than reasonable expectation.

Comment

You will fit right in at Boulder PD. Keep the liberal "it's all about me, nothing else matters, I don't want my feelings hurt" attitude and they may even offer you the Chiefs job.

Comment

Fair enough. I was honestly just curious if there was some other reason not being stated having to do with safety, or something like that. I am not hung up on it, and will be cutting it in the next few days before my ride along. I am very seroius about this line of work and am willing to do what it takes to be able to be a LEO.

I have not forgotten that I am on a LEO forum, and understand that responses will be blunt. I have seen many of Iowa's previous posts answering many other's questions with reasonable answers and advice, and have learned a great deal from his posts alone. With that in mind, his response to my question seemed strangely hostile for no reason and I was taken aback. It strikes me as strange to take the time to answer someone's serious question with hostility; I guess I just don't understand the motivation to take that time out of your day to cut someone down when they have offered up no adequate reason to deserve such treatment. I welcome constructive feedbac
                        k and again would hope that my reasonable question and respect for those offering advice be met with an equal amount of respect and decency in return. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems to be a more than reasonable expectation.
                        It was hostile because of the lack of common sense you state in your question. Good old Iowa was pointing that out sarcastically so you would understand.

Apparently you made one of those stupid decisions about your lip once you got out from under your parent's wing which doesn't bode well to your level of maturity or your decision making skills.

It is also apparent you do not like sarcasm or any criticism which again shows your immaturity. You may need a few more ice cream seasons before you apply to one of the most serious vocations called law enforcement.
                        Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Why is it OK for women to have long hair but not men?
                          In my agency at least, it is not. They either have to put it up in a bun or get it cut just like everyone else. Guy's don't get the bun option though. Officers are supposed to all look uniform, ponytails are not professional nor are metal piercings. You don't see business men with long hair, do you?
                          Last edited by LINY; 03-11-2011, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                            You will fit right in at Boulder PD. Keep the liberal "it's all about me, nothing else matters, I don't want my feelings hurt" attitude and they may even offer you the Chiefs job.
                            You really think so? Sweet!

Seriously, I'm not asking for a whole lot here, just the same amount of respect I'm sure you feel you are to be afforded. I guess that's too much to ask. And I'm curious what about my thingking that people ought to be decent to eachother indicates to you that I am liberal? If that makes me liberal, what makes one conservative?

Comment

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
                              Apparently you made one of those stupid decisions about your lip once you got out from under your parent's wing which doesn't bode well to your level of maturity or your decision making skills.

It is also apparent you do not like sarcasm or any criticism which again shows your immaturity. You may need a few more ice cream seasons before you apply to one of the most serious vocations called law enforcement.
                              What makes a piercing a stupid decision? I'm not saying wether getting a lip piercing is or isn't a stupid decision, I'm just curious your thoughts on why getting a lip piercing is a stupid decision, when ear piercings are not?

I am more than open to criticism as long as it is constructive. And sarcasm is great, it just did not seem warranted in this situation. Though I am willing to concede that maybe it was, it certainly did get me to think twice about keeping the piercing and long hair, both of which I will be rid of in a few days.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2868 users online. 145 members and 2723 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X