300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public videotaping of LEO's

I found my way to officer.com while looking into the debate surrounding LEO's being videotaped by the public. Let me say to right off the bat, I'm not a libertarian radical. In fact I'm very moderate in most of my views by nature.

I was astonished to learn that in MA, the felony convictions of a couple of individuals were upheld for violating the state’s wiretapping laws by simply recording a LEO on the street. In Missouri there are no laws that specifically prohibit a LEO from being recorded in the public venue. I've talked with a few guys I know superficially about the issue. Other than a normal apprehension of one’s comments and actions being misconstrued, no one seemed very concerned about the issue.

Generally speaking, the line between observing police action and interfering with it is typically pretty clear. I've not heard any one of consequence suggest that videographers be permitted to interfere with a LEO.

I am curious how LEO's really feel about the issue. I have no doubt knowing someone is taping you is unpalatable. Beyond that, how is the issue perceived and managed by you individually, by your colleagues, and by your respective departments.

Thanks
    Strongly Disagree
    7.14%
    Diagree
    28.57%
    No opinion
    42.86%
    Agree
    7.14%
    Strongly Agree
    14.29%

The poll is expired.

I could give a s***. I'm doing my job and you can tape me all you want. If you get in my way, you will go to jail but by all means tape away....from across the street.

Edit....you do realize most of us are already being recorded when were in, on, and around our cars. My department has mics strapped to our chests and vid cams in the front windows. I have a vid mic on my radio and if that fails the MUVI attached to my pocket will back that up. Yep I could really care less about what some db is taping.
    Last edited by ummone; 03-11-2011, 04:34 AM. Reason: because i wanted too
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by ummone View Post

....you do realize most of us are already being recorded when were in, on, and around our cars.
      I think it' pretty common knowledge.

Comment

Good luck on your term paper.
        This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

Comment

^^^^^

Beat me to it....
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

^^^^Yea...That's why i didn't take the poll.

OP your name isn't Ritchie Katko is it?
            Last edited by ummone; 03-11-2011, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Who cares....

It's good seeing myself on the 5 o'clock news!! Of course, I can be a bit of a ham!!
              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by elih View Post
                I think it' pretty common knowledge.
                Which is why you asked the question anyway.
                Originally posted by crass cop
                Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ummone View Post
                  ^^^^Yea...That's why i didn't take the poll.

OP your name isn't Ritchie Katko is it?
                  No I don't think I want to know who that is....

Like I said, I am no radical left winger or anything like that. I'm just trying to understand why a state would toss a guy in prison for videotaping a LEO on the street. If you look on the web at the issue there's all kinds of opinions and comments made by extremists who don't put a lot of thought into their postings. There's really very little information available to indicate why some states would go to such an extreme. There's always two sides to an issue. To date, I've pretty much heard what I expected to hear from folks in the field.

Comment

Video adds 25 lbs. to me which I can't afford..

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                      Video adds 25 lbs. to me which I can't afford..
                      How's that? Or are you talking about department issued video rquipment carried on your person?

Comment

How's that? Or are you talking about department issued video rquipment carried on your person?
                        umm... dude... as in the saying "the camera adds 25 pounds" you never heard that sayin
                        Last edited by goosethebird; 03-12-2011, 04:28 AM.

Comment

No I don't think I want to know who that is....

Like I said, I am no radical left winger or anything like that. I'm just trying to understand why a state would toss a guy in prison for videotaping a LEO on the street. If you look on the web at the issue there's all kinds of opinions and comments made by extremists who don't put a lot of thought into their postings. There's really very little information available to indicate why some states would go to such an extreme. There's always two sides to an issue. To date, I've pretty much heard what I expected to hear from folks in the field.
                          because its illegal in that state. The dooshbag should have moved to MO and taped the officers
                          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by goosethebird View Post
                            umm... dude... as in the saying "the camera adds 25 pounds" you never heard that sayin
                            Nope

Comment

It's interesting that the same people that complain that police video's in public places are an invasion of privacy are the same people that want to video tape police actions just to find something the police do wrong. Video is a double edge swoard, in the wrong hands (videographer) it can be edited in such a way that anything appears to be police brutality, while done correctly and without bias can be exculpatory towards police by showing the actions that police are reacting to. I give the example of what many thought an officer hitting a juvenile in the head when putting the juvenile in the car handcuffed. What the video didn't show was the juvenile had grabbed hold of the officers genitals in a vicious way, the officer only reacted to the assault, but the fools video taping the event couldn't see what the juvenile was doing and made reactionary comments on the video about police brutality. Yes police are in the public eye all the time, but the electric eye (video) does not capture all angles of events to give sufficient explanation of occurances that may look like brutality, when infact they are not.
                              GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3147 users online. 179 members and 2968 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X