Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy seeking advice

Hello,

My name is Steve (Recent College Graduate with a Pr degree in December) and I'm brand new to the board. I'm ultimately trying to become a Marshall or work for the fbi and or secret service. Right now I'm looking for anything that can help me move forward in that process. I filled out stuff for ICE last night and have a post test next month for the Cap Police. I also filled out stuff for the USSUD but apparently I applied to the wrong vacancy so i have to wait for it again. At this point I'm working at Lowes b/c I have to make some sort of money. Any advice?

Steve

Keep working at a steady job while you are trying to get hired. Things are really tough right now, and pretty much all Departments, both local PD and Federal, are being very frugal with their budgets. Hopefully it gets better soon, but I would say to just keep plugging away and getting your bills paid. And keep applying and testing and don't limit yourself to one particular area/department. Just keep up a good credit score, and don't do anything dumb (like smoke pot, transport drugs, or have romantic episodes with animals etc etc heheh). Good luck to you.
    I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by sdewitt View Post
      Hello,
      I'm ultimately trying to become a Marshall or work for the fbi and or secret service.
      FIRST--------------------------Learn how to spell Marshal-------------(actually you mean Deputy Marshal since the Marshal is appointed by the President)-------or you will be laughed out of the testing procedure.

Any of the 1811 series jobs, you are looking at having a lot of seniority at Lowes before you ever get hired.

There are job specific thread in the area linked below of the forum that will help you further-------------------I suggest you read up on them and ask the majority of your questions there.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/for...ent-Job-Center
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-10-2011, 05:19 PM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Why would anyone want to work with the FBI? Just kidding. There are a few competent agents spread out here and there. But don't worry, the local PD's will cover for them so they look good in the media.

Just my .02, but you have basically three options to go Federal with any given agency: 1) Get hired by a local PD to get experience and learn what the streets are actually like first (Cap PD is a good avenue to pursue) then apply, 2) Accept any position you can get with any agency and then look into transferring to where you really want to go at a later date, 3) Keep applying with the particular agency you want to work with then pass all of the test and prepare for the possibility of waiting several years before you are contacted (unless you hold special skills like a language specialty or hold advanced degrees in certain areas). Echoing what others have said, it's a tough time right now for the Feds and most agencies are at a hiring freeze at the moment.

Something else to keep in the back of your mind and that's not always talked about: make sure you are in good physical shape and know beforehand what the FLETC requirements are for your age group. There aren't many second chances there so be ready. Also, there's a lot to be said for working the street. In a big enough city you get the same type of investigations and other 'special' assignments that Feds do. A lot of departments have task forces they contribute Officers to that work with Feds doing the exact same job. Either way though, good luck. and if it's what you really want, STAY PERSISTENT.

Comment

Steve - along with what everyone else has said, I suggest looking into the FBI, ICE or USSS internship programs. I understand that these are tough to get into and often times offer no money and probably won't get you a "one up" over anyone else when it comes to actual hiring processes, but it could give you great experience and help you figure out if it will be right for you. Sometimes however if you meet the minimum requirements and finish it with flying colors and they like you, they offer COE's. I recently got rejected from the FBI summer intern program but got accepted for the DSS summer program, so it is possible.

Also, have you done ride-alongs with your local/county/state departments? These are a great way to get to know officers and how your hopeful department works. It also helps if you make a name for yourself every time you go there - you never know, one of the folks you rode with could be on your hiring interview panel and recall the professionalism. It's also very fun and great experience, i've done a couple ride alongs with Des Moines PD and they were some of the funnest times i've had! Also consider if they have any Community Service Officer openings, Reserve/Part Time Officer openings, or Volunteer opporunities at the department(s).

I am not a Law Enforcement Officer.
          Last edited by jjbledsoe; 03-16-2011, 11:59 PM.
          Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

Internships are good, my nephew was hired by the USMS after an internship in college followed by 5 years with NYPD. I would suggest that you learn Arabic and / or Chinese. It will increase your value to the feds greatly.
            Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Originally posted by ddurkof View Post
              Internships are good, my nephew was hired by the USMS after an internship in college followed by 5 years with NYPD. I would suggest that you learn Arabic and / or Chinese. It will increase your value to the feds greatly.
              Good post - from the FBI Special Agent skills site: "The following is a list of language skills that are currently deemed critical by the FBI: Arabic, Chinese - all dialects, Farsi, Hebrew, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Pashtu, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Urdu, and Vietnamese. " I would imagine they are all about the same for other services w/ the same positions who work with communities and other countries (most all of them, lol).
              Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

Originally posted by jjbledsoe View Post

I am not a Law Enforcement Officer.
                Then posting in Ask-A-Cop is not a good way to start your time here at Officer.com.

Just an FYI. Read the rules and follow them, or you'll be shown the door.
                If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4681 users online. 279 members and 4402 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X