300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concealed Carry on a college campus

Im a senior at Liberty Univ in Lynchburg, Va and have been trying for 2 years to get the board of trustees to allow concealed carry. They voted on it after I sent a powerpoint to the chancellor in 2009, but it was voted down by the tie breaker vote. Since LU is a private, non-state funded school, we can decide whether or not to allow guns on campus. Do you agree or disagree with concealed carry on a college campus?
    Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil because my GOD IS GREATER.

LEOs can carry on TN Board of Regent campuses off-duty so there's already quite a few armed. The university where I obtained my undergrad had a student body of 20k+. With campus LEOs on site along with multiple jurisdictional PDs minutes away (city, county SO, etc), I really don't see the need to risk a bunch of barely 20-yr olds to be packing. Although there can be some mature adults from 18 - 22 yrs old, I personally don't see the benefits outweighing the risks.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

That was a big part of their reasoning for not approving it.. the maturity level of the students. I don't see how it is any different from off campus though. I was only trying to allot students who already had a CCP to carry. If these students are allowed to carry in malls, restaurants, or most any where else in public, why not on a college campus of 12,000?

I did some research of other schools and of past school shootings, mainly the 2007 shooting at Va Tech. I don't remember the exact numbers, so I won't quote them, but there were several people who were either killed, wounded, or witnessed the shootings that were former marines or at the time had their CCP. Had these people had their piece on them, there is no was the shooter kills 31 other people. Some one else would have stopped it well before then.

It just doesn't make sense to me that at 21 years old, I can legally protect myself most anywhere in public with a firearm, except on a college campus. Either 21 y/o adults are mature enough to handle a firearm everywhere, or they are not mature enough to handle the responsibility of a firearm anywhere.
      Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil because my GOD IS GREATER.

Comment

A large bulk of 21-yr olds don't ever think of the need to carry. Many of them have other things on their mind during undergrad i.e. the opposite sex, grades, parties. We can "what if" on the VA Tech and other school shootings all day long, but it would only take a couple of shooting incidents at frat parties involving irresponsible permit holders to end any lesiglation allowing carry on school property. Honestly college administrators, campus PDs, and city officials do not want to deal with an onslaught of firearms on campus grounds. The same can probably be said for the bulk of the student population and teaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
          A large bulk of 21-yr olds don't ever think of the need to carry. Many of them have other things on their mind during undergrad i.e. the opposite sex, grades, parties. We can "what if" on the VA Tech and other school shootings all day long, but it would only take a couple of shooting incidents at frat parties involving irresponsible permit holders to end any lesiglation allowing carry on school property. Honestly college administrators, campus PDs, and city officials do not want to deal with an onslaught of firearms on campus grounds. The same can probably be said for the bulk of the student population and teaching staff.
          +1

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
            but it would only take a couple of shooting incidents at frat parties involving irresponsible permit holders to end any lesiglation allowing carry on school property. Honestly college administrators, campus PDs, and city officials do not want to deal with an onslaught of firearms on campus grounds. The same can probably be said for the bulk of the student population and teaching staff.
            What is stopping this from happening right now?

Last I checked someone who wanted to do something stupid with a gun, did it anyways regardless of the law.

I've carried my gun to a bunch of parties, bars, (places I shouldn't) etc. Hasn't gone off yet unless I was intending to shoot something.

Comment

Originally posted by LawFowl View Post
              What is stopping this from happening right now?

Last I checked someone who wanted to do something stupid with a gun, did it anyways regardless of the law.

I've carried my gun to a bunch of parties, bars, (places I shouldn't) etc. Hasn't gone off yet unless I was intending to shoot something.
              Doesn't mean we should promote it. TN just recently passed a law to allow carry into anywhere that serves alcohol, including bars (but you can't consume while carrying). Why else go into a pool hall or bar? Luckily the owner of the establishment can opt out of this law and post a sign prohibiting firearms. I'm not saying it's the way it should be, but in my opinion, I just don't see why it's necessary to arm students. Of the millions of students and thousands of universities that have never had a problem with a firearm-related incident, should a couple of isolated events push states to let anyone carry anytime at their educational institutions? My opinion, NO.

Comment

First of all, I can understand globerry's concern and from the tone of his post, I'd venture to say He may be a bit more mature than his peers. That said however, there's no way in hell firearms should be allowed to be carried on college campuses. Sure a handful of students may be able to shoulder the awesome responsibility of toting such firepower. But for every one that can there's a LOT more that can not. Since the CCW laws pertain to the citizenry as a whole and not just a specific trustworthy few, my opinion remains that CCW's on campuses is a horrible idea and would only lead to significant 'issues' for campus PD's and School Board Trustees. Further side note, I've run into more that a couple folks that believe since they have a CCW they are automatically imbued with SWAT expertise. Not that globerry is one of these but you have to think that others in the college age range certainly would be. Just my .02.

Comment

While I have some sympathy with the OP's points, I'm not certain this is the battle he wants to fight at this time. The point has been made , and I agree, that most college administrators, faculty, and students have priorities other than weapons on campus. It's been my experience as well, that rightly or wrongly, most college administrators are fairly anti-firearms anyway.

Comment

I've got no problems with campus carry for those who can carry elsewhere. If you aren't dangerous to carry to the grocery store, you don't suddenly become dangerous to carry on a campus.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

If we get an active shooter situation on campus, having a bunch of ccw students waving their guns around (cause you know they will) will be problematic for their survival…
                      Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

While I see where you all are coming from, I still tend to disagree. I guess my beef is all in personal protection and self defense. I hadn't completely thought through the idea of everyone with a gun trying to go Rambo in the event of a shooting or other serious threat, however I do not like being unarmed. While the Lynchburg PD and county sheriff could most likely be on scene within minutes, I have zero confidence in the campus police at my school. Having dealt with them on numerous occasions through the fire dept on various calls off campus, I have come to know them a little better than most. Majority of the officers are all EMTs with guns. Sure, they are certified LEOs, but seeing how they carry themselves and publicly "respect" the authority given to them, I just don't have the confidence in them.

I would feel more comfortable knowing I could protect myself. No, having a gun does not make me any less likely to be a target, in fact it may increase my chances.. but I would rather protect myself, and anyone around me, versus wait for the campus pd to get there just to hide out and wait for the city to take over.

I see where most of you are coming from on the issue, but I still cannot say that I agree completely. Maybe after getting some job exp as an LEO will change that.

Thanks for the replies and insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Matt View Post
                          If we get an active shooter situation on campus, having a bunch of ccw students waving their guns around (cause you know they will) will be problematic for their survival…
                          Just had that image in my head, that would be nasty.

Comment

Here in PA, CCW holders have a lot of rights. We don't limit the 2nd Amendment much here.

It is not illegal to carry (open or concealed) on college campus in PA. However, the vast majority have policies against carrying. If you are not a student you will most likely be asked to leave and if you refuse you can be charged with trespassing.

If you're a student you will most likely face internal charges up to and including expulsion.

If you are not a student my advice would be to CC. If a student, CC at your own risk.
                            West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
                            Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
                            Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

I'm a big fan of people carrying, so this is going to be biased. There are much more law abiding citizens (students) than the problem people. So long as they have the proper permit to carry, which should include some sort of self defense course... The criminals are going to do it anyway. I could see it being a problem when law enforcement shows up and confusion sets in as to who's the shooter. But, hopefully the shooter would be eliminated by the law abiding students prior to that. The problem's going to be when someone does get stupid and drunk and everyone's going to blame it on the law instead of the idiot that got drunk and stupid. We'll jump on it like the media jumps on everything else. Just my two cents. If your state allows you to carry a weapon, I don't think it should matter where you are. I also believe it may be a deterring factor for the person that might be going nuts.
                              "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
                              -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6345 users online. 372 members and 5973 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X