300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College and afterward

Hello everyone. I am currently a student studying computer engineering and I have a problem. I enjoy working with computers and would like to eventually hold a job working with them. However, I have a strong urge to try and go to the academy after college and see if becoming a police officer is a possibility. My father was a police officer so I grew up around law enforcement and it really stuck with me. My problem is that my father wants me to go to college and do something with my degree, and I am afraid that he will not accept me wanting to become a police officer. Not that there is anything wrong with it, he just wants me to go to college and get a good job (I will be the first to graduate, hopefully). Now I know it's my life and all of that but I would be lying if I said I don't care if my dad approves of my career choice. Have any officers out there gone to college for something completely unrelated and still were able to succeed in their careers or dealt with a similar problem? I would also like to apologize if this post sounds whiny. I am pretty much lost on what to do.

Thank you for your time and for your service.

You need to live your own life....................Most parents will support you in doing what is in your heart.

Your father has his reasons for not wanting you to become a police officer. That is on him,.

Yes If you would take some time-------use the search feature------------and read some of the posts on this subject in this forum you will find that many officers here have degrees in diverse regimens. Many have had other careers and used the experiences learned there to become police officers.

A computer degree would be just as good as any-other degree
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I think most of us want our parent's approval, no matter what our age. I have a degree that I 'did something with' for 9 yrs. A B.S. in Medical Lab. Technology. I went into law enforcement after working in various labs. I've never regretted the change in careers and it's been 11 + yrs now. Ultimately, it's going to be what makes you happy. Good Luck.
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Just as Iowa stated, you need to live your own life.

Think of it this way... this is going to be YOUR career. Whether you choose computer engineering, law enforcement, or any other industry, you'll be doing it for 40+ hours a week, 52 weeks a year, for 20, 30, or even 40 years. You need to choose the career that will make you happy. Something that you'll wake up everyday (or almost everyday) wanting to do. Working 40+ hours a week for 40 years in a field that you don't have an interest in, will make you miserable.

Since you enjoy working with computers and have a desire to be in law enforcement, why not do both. Many local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies have computer crime or computer forensic divisions.
        Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5691 users online. 355 members and 5336 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X