300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concealed carrying a knife?

I'm an 18 year old in college, and I don't live in the best area in the world, and off campus I want to carry a knife when I walk or drive, concealed. My question is, is it legal? I know I can buy one, but can I conceal it? Do I need a license? If an officer pulls me over and I have it, do I need to keep proof of purchase or anything with me? Also, as an officer, would you feel more or less comfortable if I told you I had a knife on me when you pulled me over?

I don't know if this is the right place to post it, so mods, feel free to move it to wherever, but I'd appreciate a response.

You really need to ask this in the state specific forum............However if you are in Missouri, you are lucky ----there are several MO officers who frequent this area of the forum and will most likely answer you when they see this post

In my state, we have permits to carry weapons license (as opposed to concealed gun licenses). My CCL is good for guns, knives, Tasers etc.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      You really need to ask this in the state specific forum............However if you are in Missouri, you are lucky ----there are several MO officers who frequent this area of the forum and will most likely answer you when they see this post

In my state, we have permits to carry weapons license (as opposed to concealed gun licenses). My CCL is good for guns, knives, Tasers etc.
      Ha sorry man, I would have had I known.
      Don't you have to be 21 to have a CCL license? I got a couple years to go to get one of those..is it illegal in iowa to carry a knife without one, and if so, is there a way to get one for just a knife in Iowa?

Comment

You can carry a knife concealed, as long as the blade is shorter than 4 inches, such as a pocket knife. It's not a big deal telling police on a traffic stop, however, if you are contacted face to face, let us know. So far as I know, CCWs are for firearms.
        Last edited by Doughboy213; 03-09-2011, 06:29 PM.
        Those of us that are in this profession have much thicker skins than the average person. Your "insults" are not even a good pimple on the *** of what truly bothers us. -Iowa 1603

Comment

Originally posted by abltburger View Post
          Ha sorry man, I would have had I known.
          Don't you have to be 21 to have a CCL license? I got a couple years to go to get one of those..is it illegal in iowa to carry a knife without one, and if so, is there a way to get one for just a knife in Iowa?
          In Iowa the CCL license is for ANY weapon. Knives are ok until you get to a certain length.. I am not sure what the length is when a CCL is needed.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

It's a 3 1/2 inch blade, so it qualifies as a pocket knife. Doughboy, thank you for your response.

Comment

^^^^ then youre good.
              as stated, not a big deal while on a traffic stop, but if Im talking to you on the street, DONT put your hands in your pocket or take it out to "show me".
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Blade length determines whether or not a knife is legal (concealed carry) in just about all the states. Your state may also impose prohibitions/restrictions on switchblade knives. Be familiar with the laws in your state regarding concealed weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                  Blade length determines whether or not a knife is legal (concealed carry) in just about all the states. Your state may also impose prohibitions/restrictions on switchblade knives. Be familiar with the laws in your state regarding concealed weapons.
                  Yeah, switchblades (auto-opening) and butterfly knives are no-nos in MO, too
                  Those of us that are in this profession have much thicker skins than the average person. Your "insults" are not even a good pimple on the *** of what truly bothers us. -Iowa 1603

Comment

Since the question was adequately answered above let me add one thing: I wouldn't carry a knife for self defense unless you've been trained how to use it. Using deadly force to stop an attack (aside from the legality of whether it was justified) is a simple concept: you're killing or maiming someone to the extent they can't continue the attack or scaring them enough they don't want to. A knife does a very bad job of that. A slash wound looks bad but really doesn't do that much damage and likely won't stop an attacker. A stab wound does not look bad but they tend to be the fatal ones. However, they're not immediately fatal; they usually die 10 minutes or so later (which doesn't help you) and it's often a surprise to the person with the stab wound (internal bleeding usually doesn't stop an attack).

I'd recommend looking into your state laws regarding carrying a gun, or better yet a Taser.

Comment

In Cali carrying a fixed bladed knife concealed on your person is a felony.

Carrying a loaded firearm concealed on your person is a misdemeanor.

Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                        Since the question was adequately answered above let me add one thing: I wouldn't carry a knife for self defense unless you've been trained how to use it. Using deadly force to stop an attack (aside from the legality of whether it was justified) is a simple concept: you're killing or maiming someone to the extent they can't continue the attack or scaring them enough they don't want to. A knife does a very bad job of that. A slash wound looks bad but really doesn't do that much damage and likely won't stop an attacker. A stab wound does not look bad but they tend to be the fatal ones. However, they're not immediately fatal; they usually die 10 minutes or so later (which doesn't help you) and it's often a surprise to the person with the stab wound (internal bleeding usually doesn't stop an attack).

I'd recommend looking into your state laws regarding carrying a gun, or better yet a Taser.
                        I'm not old enough to get a gun, and I hate tasers because they're one shot, if you miss you're dead.

I have taken a couple classes of training, and while I'm not going to say I'm trained because of it, I feel that in the case that I have to use it, ie im pinned on the ground, I know how to.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboy213 View Post
                          Yeah, switchblades (auto-opening) and butterfly knives are no-nos in MO, too
                          It's a folding knife, those are fine, right?

Comment

I'm not old enough to get a gun, and I hate tasers because they're one shot, if you miss you're dead.
                            That's not true. If your attacker is coming at you and you miss when you fire you can still just jam it against him and drive stun him. Tasers actually have better immediate stopping power than a gun. People can keep attacking with a gunshot wound. People can't attack when their muscles aren't listening.

Comment

I have taken a couple classes of training, and while I'm not going to say I'm trained because of it, I feel that in the case that I have to use it, ie im pinned on the ground, I know how to.
                              The thing about carrying a knife............................................. ....

You don't want to bring a knife to a gun fight.

There are VERY FEW people running around the country who are competent enough knife fighters to be able to say they were sufficiently armed to "defend themselves" with only a knife.

Most of them are highly trained Special Forces operatives.

It's a folding knife, those are fine, right?
                              If you are pinned to the ground-------------good luck getting that out, open and in use.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3460 users online. 174 members and 3286 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X