Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell Casings in the Alley

Hi there,

I live in what the neighborhood development people like to refer to as a "transitional" neighborhood but it's really, in fact, still quite hood-like at times. I recently found myself in the position of having found shell casings in the alley behind my yard after hearing shots fired the night before. My question for you officers is whether or not calling the authorities on found spent casings is warranted if there appears to have been no actual assault or other "crime against a person" committed in the "use" of these rounds?

Your feedback is much appreciated as I don't want to bother the police for something potentially minor.

Thanks,

Sossux

Originally posted by sossux View Post
    Hi there,

I live in what the neighborhood development people like to refer to as a "transitional" neighborhood but it's really, in fact, still quite hood-like at times. I recently found myself in the position of having found shell casings in the alley behind my yard after hearing shots fired the night before. My question for you officers is whether or not calling the authorities on found spent casings is warranted if there appears to have been no actual assault or other "crime against a person" committed in the "use" of these rounds?

Your feedback is much appreciated as I don't want to bother the police for something potentially minor.

Thanks,

Sossux

I would say that chances are it's nothing, but it couldnt hurt. There may have been another shooting somewhere else in the city involving the same gun. Who knows. It wouldnt hurt to ask.

Comment

It NEVER hurts to call the local PD. You don't want to be that guy who calls every time he hears a bang or sees lights in sky or my favorite, sees a "suspicions arab man walking his og, but it never hurts to call.

Comment

Yeah, go ahead and call. The worst thing that happens is the officer has to do some paperwork for nothing. We do pointless paperwork all the time...a little more isn't going to hurt anyone. And who knows, there's an outside chance it could be useful evidence.

Comment

I guess it depends on your area, but if its actually 'hood and there is no victim and no suspect, nothing is going to happen other than they get picked up and tossed. At least here, where simply firing a gun in city limits is only a ticket. Now if something/someone is hit, that's obviously different, and a guess in areas where guns aren't allowed at all it might be different.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I'd call the violent crimes detectives and ask them if they wanted them or not. I'd just tell them you weren't sure if someone was shot or if there was a robbery, etc. or if it was just some clown firing into the air. "Before I throw these out, do you guys need them for anything." They may not need them, but they will appreciate your willingness to help them out and get involved with what is going on in the city.

Comment

Here, this is something I would want you to call about. How do you know there was no victim? You just may not be aware of a victim. And the guns that are shot like that will most likely be used in crimes. We take shell casings and keep track of what gun is being used where. Its interesting to see the same guns used in various shootings and shots fired calls. Those shell casings could be from the same gun used in previous (or future) homicides or shootings. I'd call and let the agency do what they want with them.

Comment

There could have been a shots fired call the police couldn't find. Call them and give them all the pertinent information.
                Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6685 users online. 351 members and 6334 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X