300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a game warden and a.........

Does a game warden and a state park ranger both have equal jurisdiction in a state park?

Also,does the SO and HP have jurisdiction in the state park?

I'm not talking like Yellowstone or that kind of state park as I know they have their own rangers.
    I'm old......that's all.

Originally posted by wyofirebirdbaby View Post
    Does a game warden and a state park ranger both have equal jurisdiction in a state park?
    Around here, game wardens have jurisdiction state wide and rangers have jurisdiction only within the parks (or forests). Many rangers, however, are also assigned as special wardens giving them authority outside the parks when called up by the DNR.

Yes, with a proviso. The sheriff's department can enforce any state law, state administrative rule or county ordinance within the park, but cannot enforce park rules. Our state patrol has statewide jurisdiction and can enforce any state law, but are primarily restricted to the highways.

I'm not talking like Yellowstone or that kind of state park as I know they have their own rangers.
    Yellowstone is a National Park, not a state park.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

In Alabama, Game Wardens are fully empowered state law enforcement officers. Park Rangers in general, do NOT possess authority as a Peace Officer. A Sheriff's Dept has full authority and jurisdiction in an Alabama State Park, and in most cases will handle the investigation of any criminal offense. The Alabama Dept of Public Safety has concurrent jurisdiction with the Sheriff's Dept, and upon request will assist in any criminal investigation. The Department of Public Safety also enforces all applicable state traffic laws and investigates traffic collisions in state parks.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
        Around here, game wardens have jurisdiction state wide and rangers have jurisdiction only within the parks (or forests). Many rangers, however, are also assigned as special wardens giving them authority outside the parks when called up by the DNR.

Yes, with a proviso. The sheriff's department can enforce any state law, state administrative rule or county ordinance within the park, but cannot enforce park rules. Our state patrol has statewide jurisdiction and can enforce any state law, but are primarily restricted to the highways.

Yellowstone is a National Park, not a state park.
        Yes it is and I said state out of habit as it's the National Park in MY state. Sorry!

Thanks for the answer. It cleared up my questions!
        I'm old......that's all.

Comment

Does a game warden and a state park ranger both have equal jurisdiction in a state park? YES

Also,does the SO and HP have jurisdiction in the state park? YES

Yellowstone is NOT a state park it is a National Park.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I guess it varies from state to state. In TN, we have TN Wildlife Resource LEOs who go through the same academy and are commissioned. The TN State Park folks also have commissioned officers. Both have non-commissioned personnel, but those who conduct enforcement have blue lights on their vehicles and have authority to enforce all laws.
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

In Mich a Conservation Officer is a fully sworn officer with full arrest powers to enforce all state laws including motor vehicle code. It fun to see the disbelief on one's face when they are stopped for running a red light and cited by a Conservation Officer.
              Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

Fish and Wildlife in WA state have state wide jurisdiction. They can gank you on the highway as well if you act a fool on the road. I have a lot of respect for WA State Patrol and WA State Fish & Wildlife out here in Washington. They have a tough job and they do it better than well.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSky View Post
                  Fish and Wildlife in WA state have state wide jurisdiction. They can gank you on the highway as well if you act a fool on the road. I have a lot of respect for WA State Patrol and WA State Fish & Wildlife out here in Washington. They have a tough job and they do it better than well.
                  I agree with you on what a job the Game and Fish have! Around here,in this county,we only have 1 G and F officer and he's highly overworked but does his job very well and seems to be where you'd least expect him to be at any given time! He also patrols the highways in search of poachers,which we have a lot of!
                  I'm old......that's all.

Comment

In California, all peace officers have statewide jurisdiction. Park boundaries, city limits and county lines have no effect on an officer's authority. The only limits are the state lines and how long you will be standing in the chief's office if you go outside your department's area.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

In New Hampshire, Forest Rangers & game wardens both have statewide jurisdiction on public & private lands and go to the full time police academy like any other police officer/trooper/sheriff. These guys usually know the specific enforceable park rules & regulations for the state lands within their various patrol areas, but park patrol is not their priority.

Local LE, county sheriffs, and state police do have the jurisdiction on state lands but most often don't know all of the particular park rules & regulations that the park rangers know. As with above, park patrol is usually not the priority for this group of officers.

State park rangers are not actually trained law enforcement personnel, do not carry firearms or any other LE tools, but do have authority to enforce state park laws & rules within their respective state parks or group of state parks. Some will wear a badge & uniform and issue tickets, but when challenged have to rely on trained & equipped LE personnel to back them up. Interesting situation.

That's our state. As the OP can see by now, it certainly varies from state to state.
                      The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                        Also, Wisconsin rangers have jurisdiction on any land/building owned/maintained by the DNR. And any highway that is adjacent to said DNR property. All Wisconsin park/forest rules are "Administrative Codes" (law).

Funnily enough, according to the "little blue LEO book," all LEOs in Wisconsin are deputy conservation wardens. (have to double check why that is though)
                        "The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it."--Thucydides

Comment

The park rangers in the state park by my house (in Alabama) are sworn APOSTC certified law enforcement officers.
                          1*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2667 users online. 149 members and 2518 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X