X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marines vs. Army?

Seems like a rather innocent topic!

Heheheheheheheh

USMC- smaller, specialized,expeditionary lite infantry with mobile support ( raiders, sharpshooters, " knockout artists"). Army- LARGER, more diverse, heavy infantry( skilled long duration ,crushing force- "blunt, brutal hammer")

......was once told- MARINES TAKE ground in a fight, ARMY KEEPS it in a fight....... but then again,seriously doubt if any current nation could actually BEAT our Army in an all out convention slug fest( and would be STUPID if they tried, ala Iraq in gulf war I and II), and we have to consider that our USMC is bigger and much more powerful than a vast majority of nations combined military forces, and if mass deployed could take over over many of them without even needing the ARMY.... the challenge in the 21st century and onward is which nation thinks they can challenge our NAVY? ( the "pretenders coming up" will most likely be China and India)
    Last edited by DOAcop38; 03-03-2011, 11:48 PM.
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
      USMC- smaller, more specialized, lite infantry with mobile support . Army- LARGER, more diverse, heavy infantry.
      was once told- MARINES TAKE ground in a fight, ARMY KEEPS it in a fight....... but then again,seriously doubt if any current nation could actually BEAT our Army in an all out convention slug fest( and would be STUPID if they tried), and we have to consider that our USMC is bigger and much more powerful than a vast majority of nations combined military forces, and if mass deployed could take over over many of them without even needing the ARMY.... the challenge in the 21st century and onward is which nation thinks they can challenge our NAVY? ( the "pretenders coming up" will most likely be China and India)
      I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss China. By sheer numbers alone, China has at least 1,000,000 more troops than the United States. Their technological and manufacturing prowess alone would lend them the upper hand in a ship building competition. Then there's their economy, which would sustain a war longer than ours. Not to mention, they've got about 700,000,000 more people to throw into war than we do if necessary.

I believe that a war with China would quickly turn nuclear.
      Originally posted by K40
      To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
      ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

I just can't decide on which I want to enlist in... LOL

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
          I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss China. By sheer numbers alone, China has at least 1,000,000 more troops than the United States. Their technological and manufacturing prowess alone would lend them the upper hand in a ship building competition. Then there's their economy, which would sustain a war longer than ours. Not to mention, they've got about 700,000,000 more people to throw into war than we do if necessary.

China has NEVER deployed their military overseas in large numbers, and they are having alot of problems with their technical skills- they are still at least 10 yrs behind us and the west military technology wise. The F-22 , upgraded F-15s,f-16s and the super hornet, can best alot of their 1st and 2nd tier acft.

The chinese have nothing BUT quantity. My grandfather fought them in Korea, and as long as you have the "bullets", you can best them( he also sarcastically replied that his folks ran out of bullets..) India has fought them, and China barely "won"- in the late '70s ,china "invaded" Vietnam, caused some havoc, and quickly pulled out of a "weaker" nation9 they didn't want a 10 yrs conflict like we had with Vietnam !) history has shown that the Chinese are not a successful invading Army, and despite having a central gov't that can throw their manpower into supporting a conflict, they can't sustain one traditionally like the U.S can.the Chinese don't want long ,protracted conflict, and are more liekly to want a quick tactical outcome. Chinese border clashes with russian in the late '60s showed that they'd rather be in a "strained" relationship with the US than act totally independent as a power like the US does.

I think the blue water navy goals for the chinese will be a poltiical stymy technique toward the U.S. to push negotiations and bargaining for chinese ambitions, rather than cold war conflict like we had with the soviet navy.Still a problem, and will be a few "shots fired" incidents, just so the chinese can saber rattle and push an agenda. now india? i can see more cold war like "conflict" with them as the flex their economic and military power- again ,something that will also be blunted by their contempt for China. The danger China runs is trade war and embargos by the U.S. an interesting , but fictional account of this was interduced in tom clancy's "the bear and the dragon". The Chinese are stubborn and can grind down almost anyone in a fistfight if cornered, but doubtful if they win starting one and win.
          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

The Army gives you a choice on your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty), which is just military speak for "job". I'm pretty sure the Marines assign you to whatever they need. You can see by the pic in my signature which one I would suggest...........
            I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
            it" - Thucydides

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stbspd View Post
              Seems like a rather innocent topic!

Heheheheheheheh
              Who cares? We're all on the same team.

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post

And yet, like it or not, China and the US need one another economically. Politically we are apples and oranges. Cyber wars are the wave of the future between super powers. Otherwise things would go nuclear, like you stated... and the Super Powers know it.
                Last edited by BigSky; 03-04-2011, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Marines

The dress blues are super cool, and they don't wear the GeY(<---Happy) beret!

I'm sure either choice is just fine....I've never been in either but the tight brotherhood of the Marines is more appealing to me. But what do I know.
                  This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

China is about 30 years behind us in military hardware.

Despite all the press about their Stealth jet, everything else they have is absolute crap. Including, probably that jet.

And I'm not convienced that we are as inept at the cyber war stuff as the press makes it seem.

Comment

Marines vs. Army?

First off, I never had the honor of serving in our military, but the question that comes to my mind is:

What do you want to do in the military?

Do you want to be an MP?

Do you want to fly?

Are you planning on this as a 20 year, or more, career?

Would you plan on enlisted forever, or would you hope to become a warrant officer or commissioned officer?

Comment

Be one of the FEW, the PROUD, the MARINES!

Semper Fi.

(Oops, sorry, got a little carried away there.)

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
                        "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

I enlisted in the Army because I could choose the MOS that I wanted. For me that was important. Marines share a bond that can't be put into words--even after they get out, still Marines. The G.I. Bill paid for most of my college tuition--you get that option with either branch. Truly depends on what you want.
                          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I went Army. Some of my friends went Marines. Far as I can tell there wasn't much difference except I got a guaranteed MOS and occasionally got shoved in a helicopter, they got to request an MOS and occasionally got shoved on a ship.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

The Corps is more of a brotherhood.
                              It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4683 users online. 280 members and 4403 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X