300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help...Medical Examination Question

I am currently testing with a couple of agencies to become a police officer, but recently have stumbled across a signficant road block.

My current job requires a lot of typing and I have recently suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands (just another reason why I don't want a desk job the rest of my life). I have been in physical therapy the last two months and my hands are doing much better, but I have not regained my full strength yet in either hand.

My question to everyone is, if I get offered a conditional offer would I considered too much of a medical risk and discarded? My current doctor says long-term prognosis is excellent.

I would hate to inform my current employment (It's a good job, but...) that I'm leaving to become a police officer and later be nixed by the medical examination.

Can anyone help me?

Originally posted by dusty:
    I would hate to inform my current employment (It's a good job, but...) that I'm leaving to become a police officer and later be nixed by the medical examination.
    Dusty getting hired can take a long time. Sometimes up to a couple of years. And that is in the BEST of circumstances.

If it was me, I would say NOTHING to the current employer until I had (in writing) a job offer from a department! There are so many tests to go through and so many hurdles to jump, it would be foolish to put the cart before the horse.

Now to your original question. This is probably going to depend on the individual department. Whatever you do, don't try to hide it from them. That does NOT mean that it needs to be the first topic of conversation when you talk to a recruiter, but it certainly can wait for a while. Like for your physical for the department.

Depending on where you are, when a department picks you up, they pretty much accept any physical liability you may bring with you. OTOH some departments could make you sign a "waiver" on a particular medical condition so they would not have to cover it on down the road. I would hesitate a very long time before ever signing one of these waivers.

Good luck in your endeavor to become a law enforcement officer!

Comment

Thanks Don

I was one step away from getting a conditional offer (background investigation) with one department when I first saw a doctor in Jan. Luckily, I had physical examinations long before and am now trying to get to my previous fitness level ASAP.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6933 users online. 257 members and 6676 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X