Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Police Officer Who "Hates" Cops?

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member on the site (please see my post in the Introductions thread). I've been reading the posts on this site for over a year. I'd like your input/comments on a statement that an officer made while I was on a ride-a-long that has stuck with me.

He said that he hates cops, but loves what he does. At the time I did not ask him to elaborate on the statement (and I wish I had). I'm curious as to how this mind set works/jives with your chosen profession. I remember reading a similar statement in a post by an officer on this site a while back.

I'd appreciate any comments/ideas that might help me to better understand this view point.

Thanks for your time and input. Be safe and thanks for all that you do to keep us safe.

Edit: Thanks to everyone for their responses. They have been insightful and have given me a new perspective on this topic.
    Last edited by Palmetto27; 01-28-2011, 10:02 PM.

Originally posted by Palmetto27 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm a new member on the site (please see my post in the Introductions thread). I've been reading the posts on this site for over a year. I'd like your input/comments on a statement that an officer made while I was on a ride-a-long that has stuck with me.

He said that he hates cops, but loves what he does. At the time I did not ask him to elaborate on the statement (and I wish I had). I'm curious as to how this mind set works/jives with your chosen profession. I remember reading a similar statement in a post by an officer on this site a while back.

I'd appreciate any comments/ideas that might help me to better understand this view point.

Thanks for your time and input. Be safe and thanks for all that you do to keep us safe.
    I don't hate other police officers, of course I know of officers that I do not like but that's for reasons outside of the uniform and far away from where HQ could ever be. Nevertheless, that person is still a fellow officer and if they need me or need something I'm there. That's the respect of the brotherhood of this fraternity between us officers. We don't all get along and we all ain't gonna be friends but regardless, if you need me, I'ma coming.
    <--- "The man"

Comment

Originally posted by Brave heart View Post
      I don't hate other police officers, of course I know of officers that I do not like but that's for reasons outside of the uniform and far away from where HQ could ever be. Nevertheless, that person is still a fellow officer and if they need me or need something I'm there. That's the respect of the brotherhood of this fraternity between us officers. We don't all get along and we all ain't gonna be friends but regardless, if you need me, I'ma coming.
      I also know a handful (that covers 35 years on the job) they're not on my Christmas card list, but if they call Ima coming too...
      It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
      Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto27 View Post

I worked with several Correctional Officers who clearly hated police officers.

However I have never worked with a Police officer who professed to hate other Police officers. (police officers in general----like the others there are plenty of officers that I don't like)

I would have liked to hear your officers rationalization for his statement.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

^^^^as would I.
          I really have no idea what he meant by that or why he would be a part of a group he hates

Betcha he loves cops when hes outnumbered and in a fight or in a life and death situation!
          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Our oldest cop at my department seems to hate everyone else. Not on a professional level, I just think he is ready for retirement :P

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
              Our oldest cop at my department seems to hate everyone else. Not on a professional level, I just think he is ready for retirement :P
              I know that feeling......................but it was on a personal level not a professional level..
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by oneoldcop View Post
                i also know a handful (that covers 35 years on the job) they're not on my christmas card list, but if they call ima coming too...
                x-2

Comment

X - 3

Some cops can be you best buds and backstab you the first opportunity. I Think we all know about this.
                  Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
                    X - 3

Some cops can be you best buds and backstab you the first opportunity. I Think we all know about this.
                    Anything for promotion, right?!
                    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

I'm going to take a wild guess here and probably get flamed by someone.

After a while, most cops tend to become very conservative in their values. They perceive much (but not all) of the clientele they deal with in a particular manner, tend to deal in a direct and no-nonsense method with many (but not all) of the suspects they come in contact with and are proactive in their enforcement efforts.

OTOH, there is a small handful of officers who take a more liberal, laid back approach. They feel that even the most violent of criminals are poor, misguided souls who are victims of the economic system and should be afforded the same respect you would show your mother. They often feel that officer to criminal counseling is more productive in crime reduction than making an arrest and that use of force is abhorrent, because everyone will see the light of reason and come peacefully if you just talk to them long enough, even if it takes days. These guys often hate all the other cops for what they perceive as unenlightened, brutal and thuggish ways.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                        I'm going to take a wild guess here and probably get flamed by someone.

After a while, most cops tend to become very conservative in their values. They perceive much (but not all) of the clientele they deal with in a particular manner, tend to deal in a direct and no-nonsense method with many (but not all) of the suspects they come in contact with and are proactive in their enforcement efforts.

OTOH, there is a small handful of officers who take a more liberal, laid back approach. They feel that even the most violent of criminals are poor, misguided souls who are victims of the economic system and should be afforded the same respect you would show your mother. They often feel that officer to criminal counseling is more productive in crime reduction than making an arrest and that use of force is abhorrent, because everyone will see the light of reason and come peacefully if you just talk to them long enough, even if it takes days. These guys often hate all the other cops for what they perceive as unenlightened, brutal and thuggish ways.
                        Not bad buddy....................................makes sense....................................

And the Old hands can also "hate" the laid back ones for their methods...........................

Comment

Sounds like the officer is one of those who should have been a social worker. They really suck to work with, because by and large, they are lazy, cowardly and think they're better and smarter than everyone else. Fortunately, they usually leave after a few years for another line of work.
                          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I have told female friends to never date cops. I know too many cops who are not the relationship type, or at least a steady relationship type.
                            "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

1. Could be having problems with admin, coworkers, court, marriage, etc.
                              2. Could be on the wrong side of the law, doing something he shouldn't be.
                              3. Could share the view that his coworkers are lame, nerdy, robocops that can't switch off.

Every officer has met one of the above, however your mileage may vary.
                              Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9049 users online. 439 members and 8610 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X