300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do cops have contracts?

Title says it all. My mom is a teacher and she has contracts with the school systems, some people told me they think police officers are the same. Is this the case?

Not in Colorado. I can't speak for everywhere else.
    MAC

Comment

Police officers usually have union contracts. Police chiefs usually have individual contracts.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes we do.
        This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by mopar9012 View Post
          Title says it all. My mom is a teacher and she has contracts with the school systems, some people told me they think police officers are the same. Is this the case?
          Do you mean like contracted labor? As in, a private company contracted to do police work for a Police dept? Or union-type contracts about working conditions etc.. The latter yes, the former I highly doubt. Infact I would be highly opposed to that.
          sigpic
          Any and all statements made by this account represent my sole opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed by. Further, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

Comment

We have a union contract with the city, very similar to the teacher's union contract. Not all departments will have a union and/or contract, though.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

^^^^ Union contract, very similar to teacher's union contract, minus getting the summer off!!!!
              Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

Many Police agencies have contracts (labor agreements) with their employing entities. I reside in a part of the nation where police labor contracts are very rare. That is simply a statement of fact as things exist in the South, not a slam at agencies/officers with contract agreements.

Comment

It depends on what you mean by "contract." A labor/union contract or a we-don't-automatically-have-to-rehire-you-at-the-end-of-your-contract contract?

Comment

No contract at my depatment Texas.

Comment

Not common in my state.

Comment

The only contract that I've seen is when my agency paid for Officers to attend the academy and paid them during their enrollment. They were required to do 3 (I think) years before leaving the agency or they had to repay the cost of training them. One of those rookies challenged it when he wanted to leave and an attorney said the contract wasn't legal (someone about the terms or wording). The PD didn't go after him for the monies.

We don't have unions in NC.
                        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                          The only contract that I've seen is when my agency paid for Officers to attend the academy and paid them during their enrollment. They were required to do 3 (I think) years before leaving the agency or they had to repay the cost of training them. One of those rookies challenged it when he wanted to leave and an attorney said the contract wasn't legal (someone about the terms or wording). The PD didn't go after him for the monies.

We don't have unions in NC.
                          I forgot about that. I know it's pretty common for SO's around here to do that. If they send a current jailer to the academy for a peace officer certificate, some SO's require them to sign a contract stating that they won't use their newly acquired certificate to jump ship. I think a lot of smaller SO's do this. I believe it's due to the lack of patrol openings when they return from the academy. Most return to the jail until a spot on patrol opens up.

Comment

Five-year contract you have to sign to be employed with us. Anything above rank of LT requires an annual contract. That's normally what you get when you work for an Airport Authority and answer to CEOs/COOs as a department head. Once I'm out of the 5-yr gap, then no contract exists.
                            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by mopar9012 View Post
                              Most teachers sign employment contracts.......................to work a set number of days for a set number of $$$$$$ They might also have union contracts that apply but they actually sign personal employment contracts.

Police officers do not at least in my knowledge. As Smurf stated ---many times they sign contracts that allow them to be sent to the academy and promise to work for the department for a set timeframe or they will have to pay back the cost of that training. That still does not amount to a personal service contract.
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12379 users online. 521 members and 11858 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X