X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federalization of Local LE

I just saw this article on PoliceOne.com:

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issu...w-enforcement/

Any thoughts from LEOs on this? Do you think it would be a good or bad idea to federalize local departments? Do you think it would be better to have a national "Federal Police Service" of sorts, or just create a national standards requirement that all departments would need to abide by? Do you think it would be better for smaller communities in terms of funding, or would funding get cut hard since some "better off" communities would suddenly have a level playing field for federal funds with communities that don't have access to money?
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

The citizens in this country will never tolerate a national police force, nor should they.

I would retire about one microsecond after one was formed.

This isnt Russia, North Korea, or 1930s Germany.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

People like having police that respond and answer to the local communities that pay them. That would not be the case with a federalized police force. I don't see anything wrong with the system that we currently have.

Comment

I don't use the search function much, but this topic as been discussed a number of times.

No, I don't think it would work, nor do I think it is something most Americans want.

Comment

Our country is too diverse for the federal government to take over something as community specific as law enforcement. I don't trust the feds to realize there is a difference between policing in small town Missouri and Boston for example. Not to mention, I think as a whole citizens like having law enforcement that are accountable to a community.

As for national standards. I don't really think it's the feds business to begin with to be getting involved in an issue that is clearly a state issue.

Comment

The federal government is even more cumbersome and bureaucratic. Having it run local law-enforcement would be a disaster.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Local control of law enforcement is an American tradition. Sure, it has it's faults, but Federal control would be far worse than any problems local control might have. Don't believe we need the likes of Eric Holder, Janet Napolitano, et al, running anything more than they do. I agree totally with the prior posts of my colleagues. We don't need it.

Comment

Just reading through various discussions on this board, police work can be very different depending on where you work. A federal cookie cutter approach would create more problems than it would solve.
                “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

I also agree with my brothers and sisters. Individual departments are not only a tradition, but also a sort of localized "check" on the Federal Government. A "United States Police Force" .......?

Yep, I've seen it....on Escape From New York; a movie about an American Police-State. Ring a bell, anyone?

I'd never work for such an agency; and I'd be weary of the Fed. government /taxing/regulating/ordering me far more than I already am now.....which is too much.
                  Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

I've been a local cop and a federal one, and regardless of whether you're a fan of bigger government or not, no one does a better job of taking the community than local cops who not only live in the community but work for it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Im a believer that every state should just have a state Police. Its annoying how every interprets the laws there own way. I believe the entire state should do it one one across the board.

But im against the Feds taking over.

Comment

That is 1,000% AGAINST Federalism which is what this country was founded on to prevent dictatorship among other principles we are against.
                        Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Australian copper here. Here all our police forces are state based with authorised strengths numbering in the thousands (mine, NSW Police Force has in the order of 15 000 sworn officers), so it always puzzles me when I hear about every local community in the US having their own police force, some with only a handful of officers. How do you manage to deliver the full range of policing services to your community in those cases?

Comment

Originally posted by The Wild Turkey View Post
                            How do you manage to deliver the full range of policing services to your community in those cases?
                            Usually with the assistance of outside agencies, in my part of the country it is usually the county, but sometimes the state. Our Sheriff's Office has tons of resources to help us if we need them. We have a couple smaller cities that surround us, we generally offer a hand if they need it and they sometimes do the same for us.

It might seem overly complex, but it works. Citizens have a police department that are accountable to them on a local level and there are usually resources necessary to get the job done.

I would argue that under your system, a city of 1,500 citizens might be overlooked by your agency. You might respond to calls, but I doubt you have a station close to every community and I doubt they are benefiting from your resources the same as the biggest city in your jurisidiction. Here in the US, if that city chose to, they could form a PD of few officers (probably 3-7) and take care of most needs.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyChicaga View Post
                              I just saw this article on PoliceOne.com:

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issu...w-enforcement/

Any thoughts from LEOs on this? Do you think it would be a good or bad idea to federalize local departments? Do you think it would be better to have a national "Federal Police Service" of sorts, or just create a national standards requirement that all departments would need to abide by? Do you think it would be better for smaller communities in terms of funding, or would funding get cut hard since some "better off" communities would suddenly have a level playing field for federal funds with communities that don't have access to money?
                              Brilliant Idea! Ach Bien Deutchland!

Seriously? The dumbest idea EVER! EVER! Not only that, but the US Constitution would have to be rewritten.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12533 users online. 500 members and 12033 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X