Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammunition question

Hello all,

As an avid benchrest shooter and handloader(reload my own ammo), I was wondering if LEO's can carry handloads in their duty weapons?

It would seem to me, ammunition custom tailored to your firearm would be a good advantage.

Thanks in advance,
    puma4440

Absolutely forbidden by department policy here.

You cannot even use reloads to practice with if you are using the dept. issued weapon, and you shall not use them on any dept owned range.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

btw.....I also handload my own ammo for practice....and would not consider using it for duty use in any circumstance, even if it was not against policy.
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Same here. Only department issued ammunition.
        Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Nope. Not allowed by policy.

You can thank snaky plaintiff's attorneys for that one.
          \

Comment

No handloads here either. You carry what youre issued.
            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

100% forbidden. Same ammo across the board for everyone.

Comment

Same here. With the guys I have worked with...it's probably a really good policy as I can only imagine what they would use!!! Besides, at least for general patrol, I think the ammo we are issued is at least adequate.

Just a side note, where I live there are a lot of deer poached by migrant workers. They kill them with 22 mags. It's more about shot placement than anything else. That is my very uneducated opinion. (crap, I sound like a prosecutor)
                Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

I'd roll with 10mm explosive-tip caseless. Name that movie reference....

Comment

Originally posted by puma4440 View Post
                    wondering if LEO's can carry handloads in their duty weapons?
                    Nope ...
                    ... unless it was somehow an absolute last resorce like you had run out in a protracted gun fight and happened to find some handy.

Off duty, on a private range or out behind your house, etc .... practice is encouraged and even practice with handloads is better than no practice. No prohibition then, but if you blow it up .... maybe good to have a check ready.
                    Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 12-14-2010, 01:39 AM.
                    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Not recommended by most experts and forbidden (as you can see by the posts) by nearly every department. Simply too much liability... if I get to an on-duty shooting, that is simply one more thing that is open for litigation.

Comment

No way. Hell, I have to use department issued ammo in my off duty too....

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
                          I'd roll with 10mm explosive-tip caseless. Name that movie reference....
                          Aliens.

-V

Comment

Department authorized ammo only for both on duty and off duty.
                            “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

Only dept. issued ammo here. I wouldn't want to carry anything other than higher quality issued ammo anyways for duty use.
                              Last edited by Cyber_Saint; 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4108 users online. 244 members and 3864 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X