Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not in Louisiana. Check the Ohio criminal statutes regarding justification of homicide. Louisiana is very specific that citizens are within their rights to use deadly force to prevent someone from attempting to forcibly gain entry to their home, or any other occupied home, or to use deadly force against someone who has already gained entry. This means that a Louisiana person may shoot a burglar who is in the home, or outside trying to get in, but not one who is fleeing *and is outside*. We reserve the right to shoot the scum in the back if he doesn't make it to the door in time.
    Last edited by BayouCop; 12-03-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Many states now seem to grant homeowners immunity from lawsuits if they use force in defending their homes.

I would not be comfortable shooting through a door. Like other people have pointed out, you don't know who is there. Family member, drunk college kid or the police department because they saw you had an open door or a neighbor called them about the guy who broke into your house (I know cops who think not announcing their presence in a house is more "tactical").

I say error on saving your own life, but I doubt I would find myself squeezing rounds through a closed door when the only information I had was "someone is in the house"

Comment

Means, Proximity and intent. If you can provide these three elements then deadly force is justified in MN. Behind a closed door might be a stretch but with that being said if this was my house I would be placing holes through my new oak door.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
          Forum: Ask a Cop

Looking for advice? Is there something you always wanted to ask a cop? Only LEOs should answer questions.

Yet another non LEO giving "advice" in Ask a Cop

I think he was referencing someone...

In California - As told to me by family members who were detectives with local PD's and SO's.

The best bet. Stay in the bedroom, make sure you have 911 on speaker phone. Speak in a loud, clear manner that you are warning the person to stay away, and that they're coming through the door. 911 calls are recorded.
          If they come through that door, and you are in fear of your life. You can use deadly force.

To avoid the horrific civil suits in California, make sure you don't shoot someone in the back. That can be seen as they're running away, and no longer a threat.

As others have said, and is the case, it is completely state dependent.

Comment

Originally posted by Spikerz View Post
            In California - As told to me by family members who were detectives with local PD's and SO's.

The best bet. Stay in the bedroom, make sure you have 911 on speaker phone. Speak in a loud, clear manner that you are warning the person to stay away, and that they're coming through the door. 911 calls are recorded.
            If they come through that door, and you are in fear of your life. You can use deadly force.

To avoid the horrific civil suits in California, make sure you don't shoot someone in the back. That can be seen as they're running away, and no longer a threat.

As others have said, and is the case, it is completely state dependent.
            "Starting process to become a Reserve Officer". A large part of any successful application process is the ability to read and follow simple instructions. This is "Ask a Cop". Currently, you are NOT one. You can ask a question, and you can respond to replies to your original post. That's what you can do. What you can't do is respond as if you were already an Officer. Pretty simple, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
              "Starting process to become a Reserve Officer". A large part of any successful application process is the ability to read and follow simple instructions. This is "Ask a Cop". Currently, you are NOT one. You can ask a question, and you can respond to replies to your original post. That's what you can do. What you can't do is respond as if you were already an Officer. Pretty simple, isn't it?
              Indeed my mistake all. I actually thought I was still browsing in the General section and not the Ask section.
              I apologize to all, and hope it didn't detract from the OP's excellent question.

Mike

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7515 users online. 321 members and 7194 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X