Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Research

Dear forum LEO's,

I'm posting a thread here because it seems unusual to post anywhere else.

I'm a writer and aspiring comic artist in Denver, CO. As well as a bit of a sociologist.

To provide a bit of background, I have chosen to write a story about a police officer. This being because of my history with them, how they've helped me and my brief experience in seeing how they cope with their job. To me they're strong and interesting. I wanted to be in the police force as a kid (when you were asked what you wanted to be as you grew up) and as I grew up, I stuck to my talent instead, which was in the media arts.

As an adult, I planned for the last six years to gather realistic information about the occupation and haven't been able to gather much yet. This being because they were unresponsive to my questions, finding them silly. Or, they just never emailed me back. I attempted to just have a notepad with me as I approached a police officer on duty, just guarding the doors at King Soopers, and they looked at me like I was a bit off my rocker.

I haven't given up hope on getting information, but now it's gotten to where I need to be fleshing out my story in a more elaborate sense. This part needs to be extremely accurate where it needs to and exaggerated (because it is fiction) where it needs to.

If this isn't breaking any barriers by coming onto a forum for information as a writer, I apologize. A friend of mine reccomended me here since when he went to a police station and asked for information for a character he was writing, he was accused as a suspect for a recent case.

If anyone would be capable of answering my questions, I'd be delighted to post them after the ok.

King Soopers......haven't been in one in years. PM if you want.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

We've recently concluded a thread with an aspiring author, one with a request very similar to yours. Don't be too surprised if this forum doesn't jump all over itself in an effort to provide you with answers. What you're essentially doing is soliciting our ideas and expertise with no thought at all of compensating us for our time and efforts. In the event your efforts met with commercial success, all the profits would accrue to you, and to you alone. As I have noted to others who would profit from my experience and knowledge, I have a standard consulting fee. It varies with the amount of information I would provide to you, but the basic fee schedule is as follows. $500 pr hour for the first hour of consultation, with a three hour minimum. $600pr hour for any hour in excess of four, with a two hour minimum. Certainly, my colleagues are entirely free to accede to your request as they see fit, but, as I noted, don't be too surprised if we don't all jump into the boat at once.

Comment

If you walked up to me with a notebook in your hands and started asking me questions I'd think you were a nut job (or had an ulterior motive) and wouldn't answer them either. Have you considered contacting some local chiefs or sheriffs, explaining what you are doing and asking for his/her okay to interview officers. You might get more responses if the chief tells 'em its okay. The chief could also tell you it's not okay. Also, as Phil alluded too, we generally don't consider our experience, feelings and emotions to be grist for someone else's mill. I assume you are trying to get published. You need to lay some ground work and establish some trust. Maybe one or more of the chiefs will let you do multiple ride alongs (or maybe they won't).

Comment

My questions were more in just your overall appearence, how you look. Your experiences are not something that should be used like that. That wouldn't be fair to anyone. And also, very disrespectful. I'm sorry that it was assumed that it was for experiences.

Artists typically base their work on personal experiences, which I plan to. It's just in terms of drawing something out for concept work, we, as cartoonists, use for just about everything. From backgrounds to those people that walk on the street. It's having that relief that you've got the ok that this is right and this is wrong by someone that actually works there. What I did when I started as a child was just draw from my tour experiences in prison. That was my last time I got information about uniforms.

At the time I walked up to an officer in the past, I was very, very young. (when I had the notepad, I was about 13) I was just very excited.

I understand there could be a trust issue, but my questions have absolutely nothing to do with anything personal.

I'm sorry if it offended anyone. That wasn't my intention.

Comment

Ahhh, cartoons. Gotcha. there are so many cartoons out there of cops already....from caricatures of fat, donut-eating, lazy slobs to body-building supermen in uniform. If you are just looking for appearance, Google is your friend. I know my department has a uniform appearance guide on line somewhere. Good luck!!
            sigpic
            Originally posted by Smurfette
            Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
            Originally posted by DAL
            You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

PM your questions and I'll see if I can answer them

Comment

Originally posted by T-Deines View Post
                My questions were more in just your overall appearence, how you look. Your experiences are not something that should be used like that. That wouldn't be fair to anyone. And also, very disrespectful. I'm sorry that it was assumed that it was for experiences.

Artists typically base their work on personal experiences, which I plan to. It's just in terms of drawing something out for concept work, we, as cartoonists, use for just about everything. From backgrounds to those people that walk on the street. It's having that relief that you've got the ok that this is right and this is wrong by someone that actually works there. What I did when I started as a child was just draw from my tour experiences in prison. That was my last time I got information about uniforms.

At the time I walked up to an officer in the past, I was very, very young. (when I had the notepad, I was about 13) I was just very excited.

I understand there could be a trust issue, but my questions have absolutely nothing to do with anything personal.

I'm sorry if it offended anyone. That wasn't my intention.
                All very nice, very good. Still, and I admit this is a sticking point with me, you still haven't addressed the issue of compensation. So, in effect, what you'd be getting would be free, and any profits yours alone. One or two of my colleagues have invited you to PM them. Why not do that, and see what you come up with?

Comment

@FJDave

Google is good for some things, yeah. I could search for some tidbits.

The kind of look mine is to be is more of a crime noir style of art. Which makes it difficult to leave things out since it's not as simplified and admired for accuracy. Police characters as a child and in movies were always my favorite.

It's kinda funny, in Colorado, most people are all fit, so the first stereotype would be out of the norm and strange.

Thank you for the info, I'll check it out.

Comment

@just joe

Contacting people at work gets a little iffy at this time of the year since it's near the holidays. It'd be nice to ride around with any of them, I have before when I was a bit younger.

Thinking of publishing is years ahead of my time. Stories typically take atleast five years to build from scratch. The chances of it being published are very slim as well. I don't plan on publishing a reading book, but a graphic novel instead. Where I live is very friendly compared to where I grew up. Once it passes into the new year, asking for such things would be less stressful as a ride along. I totally see what you mean though. I'll make plans for your advice in the future.

Comment

Start with a local police Citizen's Academy. Then, meet the PIO for the department, tell him/her what you want, and ask for an intro to the Chief or Sheriff.
                      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                      John Stuart Mill

Comment

I have a consulting fee that starts at $750.00 an hr; there is an 80 hr minimum that is charged, this fee does not include travel, lodging, meals and a per dim . All of those are extra. My time starts when I leave the house, and ends when I return. I also require full credit for any of my work, I keep proprietary rights to all thoughts, suggestions, ideas and fact that I deliver. None of my work can be used in whole or part without my express written authorization. If you wish I can provide you with a list of suitable airlines, hotels, and meals along with a list of suitable ground transportation once at location. In the event that any of my material is used in whole or in part in any publication, or theater, I request 13% of gross profits, and a fee of $5,000.00 hr, during production. There is also a required one time donation in the amount of $50,000 to the Fallen Officers Trust.
                        The above is not all inclusive, but only a small sample of fees associated with my work. I can be contacted via PM to make arrangements and discuss further. Thank you for your enquiry and look forward to working with you. Bless your heart and have the best day ever.
                        It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4087 users online. 228 members and 3859 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X