Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CA Prop 19 and being hired as a Police Officer.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Prop 19 and being hired as a Police Officer.

So if CA's prop 19 passes, how will it affect the hiring of Police Officers? Will potential applicants be able to smoke pot during the process? How about previous use before prop 19?

Will current Officers be allowed to use pot recreationally such as they do with alcohol? Among other things with Prop 19, I have wondered about this stuff.

In other words, will committing a federal felony not matter?
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

My agency has been exploring it. Since it is still a federal crime, go right ahead....if you want to be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMM84 View Post
        So if CA's prop 19 passes.......
        Current polls say 51% of the people are against legalizing it, while only 35% are in favor.

I don't think it will pass.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...tory?track=rss
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I think Steve Lopez's column helped influence public opinion against "legalization."

Comment

There are virtually no corporations (read real jobs) in America that are going to employ someone that smokes pot on a regular basis. It's a liability.

The same goes for public safety. You screw up and you pop on a pee test and whoever you work for might as well write a check to whoever you hurt.

Weed is for losers, grow up.
            Last edited by wirefire2; 10-23-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Let me come at this from just a little different angle. If you smoke pot, if you desire to continue smoking pot, you need not apply as a Police Officer.

Comment

Actually, consider this fact: Businesses and employers are seeking NON-SMOKERS due to the present trend of law makers, rising insurance costs, public opinion, health issues, etc. What is your personal take on the matter if you are a smoker of tobacco, tobacco products or marijuana? Smoking is smoking! It is just that one is still a Federal crime while the other is a major tax revenue.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I'm not entirely up to date on what Prop 19 says, but from what I've heard there is language that prevents a company from taking negative action against someone for smoking MJ. If that is accurate, then what is to keep a company from moving across the border to NV, OR, AZ? Unless the company's product is something that can only be produced in CA I would think many companies would opt to relocate, if for no other reason than liability.
                  But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Manufacturing companies and those that can provide services by phone or over the internet are already relocating to other states because of excessive taxation and regulation. Among the oppressive regulations are California's complex and costly labor laws.

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                      I'm not entirely up to date on what Prop 19 says, but from what I've heard there is language that prevents a company from taking negative action against someone for smoking MJ.
                      Maybe you should actually read it before offering your opinion....

From the proposed HS section...
                      http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/pdf...posed-laws.pdf

11304. Effect of Act and Definitions.
                      (a) This act shall not be construed to affect, limit, or amend any statute that forbids impairment while engaging in dangerous activities such as driving, or that penalizes bringing cannabis to a school enrolling pupils in any grade from kindergarten through 12, inclusive.
                      (b) Nothing in this act shall be construed or interpreted to permit interstate or international transportation of cannabis. This act shall be construed to permit a person to transport cannabis in a safe and secure manner from a licensed premises in one city or county to a licensed premises in another city or county pursuant to any ordinances adopted in such cities or counties, notwithstanding any other state law or the lack of any such ordinance in the intervening cities or counties.
                      (c) No person shall be punished, fined, discriminated against, or be denied any right or privilege for lawfully engaging in any conduct permitted by this act or authorized pursuant to Section 11301. Provided, however, that the existing right of an employer to address consumption that actually impairs job performance by an employee shall not be affected.
                      All the employer has to do is show your MJ usage affects your job in a negative way, and you're gone. I would wager that right could even be extended to "negative public image" Think about it. If no one wants to respect / listen to a pot-smoking cop, that is a negative effect of your performance. Same could be said for just about any job, from the burger flipper to a salesman. All you would need is 1 or 2 customer complaints, and you're out.
                      Last edited by SoCalSheriff; 10-24-2010, 08:17 AM. Reason: opinion added
                      Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                      --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

NoNoNoNoNoNoNo....

Nothing will change for a police hiring process if it passes, and officers will still be fired for using. It's legal to be a functional alcoholic but it can still prevent you from being hired. How much more using a drug which is still a federal crime.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3814 users online. 263 members and 3551 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X