300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrants

The arrest on traffic thread got me thinking about this...

how many of you NEED to arrest for EVERY warrant you come across on patrol?
    Yes, every warrant
    50.00%
    No, it's completely up to me
    17.31%
    I have to arrest on certain ones
    32.69%
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Only on certain warrants here.....on misd warrants, it is a complete and utter waste of time unless they are over a certain amount (which has a comma, and at least 4 zeros in it), as they will be immediately cited right back out into the street.....you can cite them out in the field and give them yet another warrant application.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Felony warrants, we have to take in, 75% of misdemeanors are up to us.
      Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

OK,JT.Not surprised you posted the poll. Glad you did, and I believe it's pretty indicative of what we've been saying.

Comment

I have a pro-arrest Sheriff. They all go.

Comment

In Iowa the warrants state clearly

SHALL ARREST.
            Does that get fudged once in a while -----yes

However many misdemeanor warrants are entered they will only pick up x miles away or ajoining counties............
            if you are outside those boundries, you won't get arrested.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Missouri has a law requiring to arrest on warrants.

I'm not sure if Kansas has a law or not. But everyone plays a lot nicer than missouri when it comes to picking up their trash.

Kansas on misdemeanor warrants, if you want your guy we are going to be roadside, so you better be quick. We might be nice to agencies further away and transport to our station for pickup, but I'm not holding them all day for you. Typically I give an agency 30 minutes before I start getting on phone and hollering at their dispatch. Maybe a bit longer if it is a big dollar warrant and we have a good working relationship. Also, I'm not delievering your warrants to the county jail 30 minutes away. Luckily, we have a local computer system, so on traffic stuff we only see local warrants.

Felonies we usually just straight drop them to the county.

In Missouri it is a bit more of a pain in the ***. There are two big agencies in the area that want their warrants but will almost absolutely refuse to dispatch a district car and forget any notion of roadside pickup. So you are left at the mercy of their wagon. I have been in yelling matches with Sergeants of certain agencies when it's going on hour two of me holding a prisoner on their BS traffic warrant and they haven't even dispatched a wagon yet. Of course both agencies will always offer you the option and hand delievering to their station... nice of em'
              Last edited by Dingo990; 10-02-2010, 01:16 AM.

Comment

In Mass it is a shall arrest for warrants but that being said I can't think of anyone whose gotten jammed up for giving someone a pass and strongly encouraging them to turn themselves in

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  In Iowa the warrants state clearly

SHALL ARREST.
                  Does that get fudged once in a while -----yes

However many misdemeanor warrants are entered they will only pick up x miles away or ajoining counties............
                  if you are outside those boundries, you won't get arrested.
                  I recall as well in AK and WY as well as other states, the warrant specifically stated "shall" arrest , take the body of XXXXX in front of the judge........
                  So it is a court order that appears to have a statement of clear intent.

Realistically, as in the pac NW I am aware of so many warrants, so little space to house the defendants. It would be unrealistic to think every warrant would be picked up. However, again as each geographical region has different dynamics, I can see a policy of each warrant goes to jail policy.

I recall arresting on a Failure to Appear Warrant for orig charge of no rear view mirrors, the fail to appear got my attention then the history was very long.

Comment

NY has SHALL ARREST on the warrant. Doesn't give me any choice.

Comment

I'm supposed to arrest for every warrant come across but my supervisors realize that peoples lives will interfere with that plan more often than not. For misdemeanors, we're given some lee-way, providing we consult with a supervisor or have a really good reason not to arrest f we don't consult a boss. Felony warrants go straight to jail and don't get $200.

Comment

Small City, not a holding facility. 99% of time arrest on in house and in county warrants. 100% Anything Class B misdemeanor and above. 10% of time I will arrest on out of county warrants if the dirt bag really twists me off. Ive made some road trips to deliver to a few agencys. Of course no one ever tips the pizza guy.
                        Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

If they are from my agency, they normally go. Any Class B and higher, they go. Other agency's class C's, it depends. Discretion is a good thing to have
                          "Do not be deceived:Bad company corrupts good morals."
                          1 Corinthians 15:

You are the weapon, everything else is just a tool

Comment

I hook all felony warrants....if I DONT hook for misd warrants, then there better be a good reason...IE: single mom with her 3 kids in her POS car on her way to job #2, you give me some sort of good Intel, it's 10 minutes to quittin time, etc, etc
                            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

A number of years ago here in Suffolk County, the PD was not arresting for warrants on traffic violations. Chief Judge of the county let them know that they had no discretion. Once a warrant is issued arrest had to be made.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8445 users online. 296 members and 8149 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X