300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suppose I go to the Koran burning?

Some of you may have heard that a church in Gainesville, Florida is planning to burn the Koran this September 11th. This church is quite near where I live. I attend a different nearby church where the pastor has opposed the idea of burning the Koran and I agree with him. I feel as if I should go to the burning, keep to myself while there, and express my opposition to anyone who happens to ask, and via prayer if nobody asks.

I suspect there is a possibility of violence at such an emotionally charged event. I also suspect there is the possibility of numerous arrests.

With that in mind, does anyone have any advice on:

1. how I should prepare for such an event
    2. how I should act while there

I suppose the safest course of action is simply not to go. However, if I feel called to go and feel I must go, I might as well prepare and educate myself in advance. I have never attended a protest gathering before.

Thanks for any advice.

Just my .02, and I'm no big friend of Islam, but all activities like this do is fuel an already existing problem. You state that your Pastor is opposed to the burning, and that you agree with him. Why then do you feel you should attend the event.? None of my business really, but there's an apparent contradiction there. These can be emotional and highly charged events, and the possibility of arrests is ever present. How are you going to deal with the local mosque burning a Bible? . Yes, the simplest/safest course of action is simply not to attend. I recommend you consider the option seriously.

Comment

I suggest you stay far away from any kind of event like this, whether you want to support it, or protest it. There are better ways to get a message across. Extremists on both sides of the issue can make you look like a bad guy for even participating. Just a warning.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

As stated why go if you are opposed? it serves no purpose, and may only cause you heartache and pain, not to mention some time in county if things get out of hand.
        It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

While I appreciate your wanting to witness to this NOT being a good thing that they are doing, and your intent to be a "prayer warrior", I agree with the others about not going.

You can pray at home, and you will not be adding fuel to the fire.

If you feel the need to witness publically against what they are doing, how about writing a guest editorial or op ed piece for your local paper?
          We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
          but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

Redstart-

Unfortunately, I feel you must resist the urge to act on this. No matter how much you may dislike Muslims, or the teachings of the Quran (Proper spelling), you must not create public perception that you are openly prejudiced against one particular group or individual or ideal. No one is saying change your personal opinions. I am not advocating that you look at Islam with kindness. I am not saying you need to condone anything about or greet it with a smile on your face. However, you should publicly look on it impartially- as a professional police officer would. You may despise a child molester as the worst scum on earth.... But do we tie him to a stake and publicly burn him in effigy at midnight rallies?

Bottom line- NEVER change your personal ideals for anyone or anything. But, do not give a public perception that you are an extremist. Going to this Quran burning is just such an action..... It's wrong to burn any book, anyway. I don't care what kind of book, it's just the wrong thing to do.
            Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

As I read the OP, I took it to mean Redstart disagrees with burning the Quran, but wants to attend as a counter-demonstrator.

Redstart, I think this illustrates a salient issue-- will anyone looking at you there realize you are there to object to the burning? Won't they assume you are there in support of it?

I think there are more effective ways to witness that will not add to the volatility of the situation.

Comment

As I re-read, I agree with you, Chaplain. My bad.

Regardless, I don't think it would be wise to make an appearance. It could be mis-construed......
                Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

These 'events' are typically staged to provoke a response. If you go, you are providing that response. As the others suggested
                  stay away.

First thing I thought of when reading the OP's post was of the Nazi's burning books in the
                  30s---the whole thing disgusts me. How repulsive...........
                  Last edited by Zeitgeist; 08-16-2010, 08:19 PM.
                  Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                    These 'events' are typically staged to provoke a response. If you go, you are providing that response. As the others suggested
                    stay away.

First thing I thought of when reading the OP's post was of the Nazi's burning books in the
                    Book burnings will always be book burnings. They are an afront to reason, and a celebration of ignorance and intolerance. Once more, simply stay away.

Comment

I'm not going to tell you to go or not to go. Attending free speech demonstration is your American Right. I will warn caution. You don't want to be somewhere when mass violence breaks out. Just being at a burning like this in the current atmosphere is like smoking a cigarette around a gasoline spill all it takes is 1 spark to fly the wrong way and boom.
                      Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

If it was the Bible, you would be safe. If it's the Koran (or many of it's spellings) you will be nailed to the wall.
                        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Redstart, everyone has advised that you not go at all. I hope you listen to that.

I've re-read your post, and you wrote: I suspect there is a possibility of violence at such an emotionally charged event. I also suspect there is the possibility of numerous arrests.

With that in mind, does anyone have any advice on:

1. how I should prepare for such an event
                          2. how I should act while there

You've asked for advice about how to prepare if you DO go, and I guess I would like to take a swipe at answering that.

IF you go and IF it becomes chaotic or violent, remember that any officers coming in to deal with the situation will not know who you are, why you are there, whether you are an instigator, whether you armed, whether you intend violence yourself. And they will not have time, if and when all hell breaks loose, to ask you those questions. You may well be caught up in a sweep of the street. Cooperate fully with the police. If you survive the chaos/violence intact, you will have a chance to explain yourself later. If you are hurt-- by whatever breaks out, or in the process of being swept up by LE-- remember that you chose to be there. If anyone else is hurt, like an officer who gets sent into that situation to get it under control, remember that you chose to be there but the officer did NOT.

Remember that, if you go, and if it becomes violent and chaotic, you will be in an adrenalyzed state, and you may well not be able to think clearly. I am not insulting you when I say this, I am telling you the facts: in a state of critical stress, your neurological system is going to swing into survival mode, and that is not where we make "executive decisions" from. If you want to prepare for it, you might try some role playing with a friend and see if you can get a taste of what you'll feel like if someone starts screaming at you, arguing, shaking fists at you-- or comes up and tells you you are under arrest.

That'll do for starters. Others will probably have more advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                            stay away.

+1 If no one shows up other then the regular nutcases, it's a non event. Without a crowd of protestors or counter protestors it's not media worthy, don't add to the crowd. Encourage anyone else you know to not go. If you do choose to go, follow the chaplain's advice if it turns into a riot.

Comment

I wonder if this burning actually takes place how many Muslim countries will riot due to it.....I'm thinking they'll go as nuts as when that cartoon was made.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4112 users online. 230 members and 3882 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X