300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off duty carry

I am getting ready to graduate the academy in a few months and I want to get started training with my off duty weapon but I'm not really sure what to get. My department issues Sig P229 .40 cal and I like my glock 19 but I wanted to get some opinions on what would be some good ideas. I'm 6'3'' and about 250 lbs and have fairly large hands. I like the feel of the glock and I like my dept issued sig and I was thinking about a Kahr 9 or 40, a glock subcompact or a Walther 9. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Last edited by texas11; 10-04-2011, 01:04 PM.
    I'm not a cop, but I sometimes play one on the Internet.

Comment

Off duty guns are very personal - you need to try some. If there is a range that rents guns, go there and spend some money on gun rentals and ammo. Also, pay attention to what the others on the Dept. carry off duty, and see if you can try a few rounds through them. Also, make sure whatever you choose complies with your department regs for off duty guns.
      One size does not fit all, so try a variety. What works for me may not work for you.
      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
      John Stuart Mill

Comment

It seems to me like a lot of people either carry glock or springfield. I realize it's a personal decision and I have rented a lot of guns at the local range and I want to try and find something subcompact and easily concealable. Right now I think the glock 26 is the route i'm going to take. Thanks

Comment

Why not carry your P229 or your Glock 19? Both can easily be concealed on your frame.
          Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
          --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Of course, if you are looking for an excuse to buy another firearm, I think everyone should own at least one S&W J-frame...............
            Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
            --Winston Churchill--

Comment

I've talked to a few officers who hate carrying the p229 on our department. They say it's just way too bulky and isn't easily worn. The G19 I wouldn't mind I just thought it may be a little big. I have to try and find a good holster for it. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
                Of course, if you are looking for an excuse to buy another firearm, I think everyone should own at least one S&W J-frame...............
                So true...a 1974 model 38 here, with the "Barami hip grip"
                effing LOVE IT
                Last edited by crass cop; 07-23-2010, 08:52 PM.
                "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

You try a G23, (40 cal)??? Comparable to a 9mm, with a lil more knockdown. You can get a used one relatively cheap and theyre great little guns.
                  "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                  The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                  sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                  Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by msalva2 View Post
                    I've talked to a few officers who hate carrying the p229 on our department. They say it's just way too bulky and isn't easily worn. The G19 I wouldn't mind I just thought it may be a little big. I have to try and find a good holster for it. Any suggestions?
                    I really like www.highnoonholsters.com I prefer the Slide Guard line. Of course, they are a bit on the pricey side. Lots of guys have success with the Comptac holsters. Often overlooked is your belt. Get a quality belt, designed for CCW. It can make all the difference in the world. I have the High Noon - I've been using it for 5 years now, and its the best belt I've ever worn. I've also had good success with the blackhawk dress belt when wearing a suit.

The P229 is not very different size wise from the Sig P245, which coincidentally is my primary off duty weapon in the winter monts. I successfully conceal it behind jeans and an untucked shirt..
                    Last edited by SoCalSheriff; 07-23-2010, 09:07 PM.
                    --Winston Churchill--

Comment

I carry my Beretta 92FS 9mm duty weapon in a CrossBread inside the waistband holster. Even though that gun is relatively huge, that holster conceals it very well. Crossbreeds customer service and service after the sale cannot be beat.

I also bought a Sig p238 .380 as an off duty weapon. I love it. Although some can't get behind carrying a .380. I carry this if i am going to tuck in a shirt or something like that that makes the Beretta a bit less practical.
                      If you can't convince them, confuse them
                      Harry Truman

For every thousand hacking at the leaves of evil, there is one striking at the root

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by msalva2 View Post
                        I carried both for several years. The difference in "bulk" in a Sig versus a Glock is about 5mm or so. And fully loaded the weight difference is about 4-5 ounces, which is hardly noticeable. I carry a P226 on and off duty each and every day by choice and I can't tell the difference between size and weight from when I carried a Glock every day. The Glock won't be any easier to conceal than the Sig will.

Comment

Give Crossbreed Supertuck holsters a look. They make almost anything comfortable to carry...

Comment

Msalva2, I bet you can find 'a couple of officers' who love carrying the P229. I have carried a SIG 220 concealed on and off duty - it's all what you are used to.

I say again, one size does not fit all!
                            Last edited by Sleuth; 07-24-2010, 08:26 PM.
                            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                            John Stuart Mill

Comment

I still have my Colt Python 4" that I carried on duty for years....................it was a bit bulky to carry off duty on a 5'7" 150lb frame...But I managed except during the summer
                              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2434 users online. 148 members and 2286 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X