No announcement yet.

airport police

300x250 Mobile

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airport police

Does anyone have any info on airport police like what kind of job that would be,they have a class starting right about when I retire from the military?

At our airport, mostly retired law enforcement guys get hired on. Being retired military, your chances are probably increased, as long as you can get certified.

As far as what they do: They handle almost all the calls that are generated within the airports jurisdiction.

Ohmygod, I can't imagine dealing with all of those "tourons!"

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if you can't shoot them?
      6P1 (retired)

I think it would be worth considering, especially since you'll get the entry level training. In the DC areas, airport police forces do not have the highest opeational tempo, but they are well-funded and professional agencies. They also have specialized units that add to the appeal.

Good luck and be safe. Thank you and congratulations on completion of your military career.

Here in California, airport police officers are no different than any officer you'd find patrolling the streets. They have to meet the same requirements for hiring, training, and retention. They have to attend a minimum of 650 hours of academy (like a city cop), and after the academy must have a minimum of 24 hours per year of continuing training, again like the city cops.

While their roles are somewhat different than that of city cops, they have a lot of the same types of calls: traffic control details, traffic collisions (particularly at big airports like LAX), vehicle burglaries and thefts, and robberies of individuals.

The airport police officers may be employed by an independent police agency such as the Los Angeles International Airport Police Department (though there has been talk of them being absorbed by the LAPD).

Or, they may be part of that city's police department and merely assigned to the airport detail; such is the case with the officers at San Francisco International Airport, who actually work for SFPD. Interestingly, SFO is located OUTSIDE the boundaries of the City and County of San Francisco (it's actually in San Mateo County).

Our airport police are considered ROD. Retired On Duty. If you want any action at all take a pass on that one.

Here in Anchoarge our Airport Police have a really neat job. The do a lot of drug stuff with the DEA and Troopers. Whats really neat is that they have a dual role. The are trained as Firefighters and Police. They split thier months changing hats. Yeah they do not have tons of action but having the ability to work both sectors is great enough, I think anyway. I think if you work a major Airport it would be fun too but The airport guys here get paid really good.

Originally posted by Sig220Man:
                Interestingly, SFO is located OUTSIDE the boundaries of the City and County of San Francisco (it's actually in San Mateo County).
                Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the City actually "owns" the property that SFO is located on even though it is geographically in San Mateo County.

Here in NJ New York Area...all the airports are policed by the Port Authority or New York and New Jersey...Some units are proactive..some places you are at dont want you to do anything...They are also responsible for the Bridges and Tunnels ..however they are one of the highest paid police Departments in the US...It was in the paper last year that one Port Officer with overtime made more than a New Jersey Senator...they were not happy to hear that lol

You bring up an interesting subject. That is one of private police. Michigan has provisions for private police such as airport, railroad and campus police. Evidently, and I have seen the documentation, anyone can apply to start a police department and the officers only need 200 hours of training. I worked for a security guard agency that considered at one time evolving into a police department for an apartment complex. It didn't happen though.

I wanted to relay an interesting situation. We have railroad police nearby. They are Michigan certified police officers who work for Grand Trunk Railroad which -- now let me get this straight -- was bought out by CSX. A Canadian railroad company, any way. I was at a seminar with some of them and they were complaining that they were constrained because their bosses and headquarters were in Canada and that they had to comply with restrictive Canadian rules and regulations yet were Michigan police officers. They were particularly bitching about their uniform badge which they had to get rid of because it had the American eagle on it which was against Canadian law.

The seminar, by the way, was actually radar certification. I could never figure out why railroad police needed to be certified with the radar. They didn't know either.

What's Going On

There are currently 8132 users online. 321 members and 7811 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad