300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop shows, etc

What do you all think of the cop shows on tv? Shows like COPS (though that is real, not really a show), CSI, Law and Order, etc?
    Also programs on Discovery and The Learning Channel that are about forensics, medical science, etc? And, of course, the Fox specials-"Real Police Videos", Most Dangerous..."

------------------
    Bike to work, save some money, get in shape.

I tend to watch a lot of the "real" police videos to use as training aids. I do, however, have to turn the volume down a lot of the time, and have people watch the actions of the fleeing suspects and the officers. I was a Communications major in college, and nothing bugs me more than the idiots they dub into the videos to appear they are in the helicopter chasing the suspects ... how does that one guy get to ride in all of those different helicopters all over the world? *lol*

Second to that is watching a pursuit on FOX, and then seeing the same pursuit clip on the Discovery Channel, and having the narrators give totally different stories as to what is happening in the clip.

As for the other "cop" shows, I tend to watch (for entertainment only of course *lol*) CHiPs, Adam-12, Barney Miller, Homicide, Third Watch, The District, and sometimes even Nash Bridges .... I'm sure there are others too, but those are pretty much it ... I can't find 21-Jump Street or Miami Vice anywhere anymore!

Comment

"I can't find 21-Jump Street or Miami Vice anywhere anymore!"

Miami Vice is on TNN network at 1900 and 2300 on weekdays.

------------------
      Niteshift-
      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Gotta love 'Miami Vice'! My favorites are:

CSI
        Profiler

Now for some OLDIE favorites:

Bad Boyz
        Houston Knights
        Miami Vice
        and
        Andy Griffith

Comment

COPS is probably the most realistic of them all...

Comment

I use to be one of those kids who instead of running home to watch scooby doo, was enthralled with charlie's angels, Barnaby Jones, and the rockford files. I really wish they would bring them back but since they don't I have to say Cops and Forensic files are the best in my book.

Comment

If COPS is on, I get the remote!
              Same goes for Adam-12...

Comment

Even COPS is unrealistic to some degree. Because the show only focuses in on those adrenaline-rush moments and unusual situations, the public gets the wrong idea that this is ALL there is to police work.

For COPS to truly show what it's like in the day of a cop, it would take the two 30-minute time slots and make it into one 60 minute show. The first 25 minutes would be of an officer driving endlessly in circles, struggling to keep himself awake. Then, the next 5 minutes would be things like a car chase, or a man with a gun call. The last 30 minutes would be of the officer writing his report.

To further enhance the "realism", you might get an entire 60 minute show where absolutely nothing happens. Or, FOX should constantly keep changing the show's scheduled air time, to demonstrate to the public how our work schedules sometimes play havoc with our personal lives.

Another problem is that sometimes featured officers, perhaps showing off for the camera, become tactically unsafe and/or make legally questionable decisions. At the police academy, and in roll-call, we are often showed excerpts of COPS and asked to critique them.

Comment

I like watching COPS too, so I know what not to do. I think the camera causes officers to stop thinking, and do things they would not normally do.

Also it has shown the criminals a lot of our "tricks" of the trade.

Comment

Originally posted by H8Criminals:
                    I tend to watch a lot of the "real" police videos to use as training aids. I do, however, have to turn the volume down a lot of the time, and have people watch the actions of the fleeing suspects and the officers. I was a Communications major in college, and nothing bugs me more than the idiots they dub into the videos to appear they are in the helicopter chasing the suspects ... how does that one guy get to ride in all of those different helicopters all over the world? *lol*
                    You're likely referring to "Most Dangerous Police Videos" on FOX. It's narrated by ex-Multnomah County Sheriff's Lt. John Bunnell, himself featured on COPS when they were in the Portland, Oregon area. Lt. Bunnell also was the host of a short-running show called "American Detective" on ABC.

Bunnell has a narration style that, well, grates on my nerves. The "experts" he has on his show also have similarly annoying voices, particularly that of the "helicopter pilot." It's the voice of Bob Tur, who used to be the helicopter pilot for KCBS-TV news here in Los Angeles.

You're right, these shows are best viewed with the volume turned down.

Comment

I tend to be more interested in the shows on the Discovery Channel, like the "Real LAPD" and the other few shows they did with the LAPD. Seem better planned and also being longer doesn't hurt.

I also like COPS, and who doesn't like Adam12???!!!??? That is fairly realistic, no shootings every episode for drama...

Comment

I like THIRD WATCH but it gives me the impression that the same (4) uniformed cops make up the entire NYPD. They do everything. I remember one episode when they had to break through a barricaded door for an armed suspect. The uniforms went in first with the SWAT (or is it ESU) following BEHIND them.

I loved Barney Miller, HAWAII 5-0, & HILL STREET BLUES.

I used to love COPS but not so much anymore. Whenever I watch it, a part of me feels like I'm still at work.

Can anyone name a dumber cop show than TJ HOOKER? COP ROCK is a close second.

Comment

Originally posted by BRICKCOP:
                          Can anyone name a dumber cop show than TJ HOOKER?
                          TJ Hooker...You know you're in for a very inaccurate portrayal of cops when you see Heather Locklear THROWING her PR-24 at a fleeing suspect in the opening credits!

Comment

I haven't warched COPS in a while. Sig220, I didn't realize the helicopter pilot narrator was Bob Tur. To avoid being named in a lawsuit for libel I'll just say that I can think of others news pilots that I would pick first

Comment

Anyone remember "High Incident"?
                              There was a show I liked.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6701 users online. 297 members and 6404 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X