300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A" Type Personality

Do you think its necessary to have an aggressive, assertive personality in order to perform your duties as a police officer?

Aggressive and assertive are two different things. Assertive, absolutely. Aggressive, when needed.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

She always beats me to it. What Smurfette said.
      MAC

Comment

Yep. What Smurfette said.
        Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

You don't need to be a Type A person 100% of the time, but when you need to be one, you need to be able to flip the switch and do what the situation calls for.

Comment

What the blue chick said.

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I have been told that I am to laid back and not assertive enough for this career. People also tell me I am too nice. Is there anything I can do to be more assertive?

Comment

Yes you do, but you have to know how to control it.
                Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

This will give you an idea as to the personality they are looking for

http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...cal-traits.pdf
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I know some outstanding officers who are very laid-back, easygoing types. They might not make the most car stops, but they are also the ones who stay calm when the **** hits the fan, and can talk with anybody and get a lot of cooperation (and information). Not saying that Type A people don't, but the smooth-and-easy types are great to work with and definitely have their place.

FWIW, I'm a mix of both, but trying to bring out more of the laid-back side.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                      I know some outstanding officers who are very laid-back, easygoing types. They might not make the most car stops, but they are also the ones who stay calm when the **** hits the fan, and can talk with anybody and get a lot of cooperation (and information). Not saying that Type A people don't, but the smooth-and-easy types are great to work with and definitely have their place.

FWIW, I'm a mix of both, but trying to bring out more of the laid-back side.
                      +1
                      The problem with a lot of Type A's is they don't see the train wreck coming because they are busy dealing with moment. The guy that's assertive when necessary, but laid back the rest of the time usually has a better chance of defusing things when they start to go bad.

Comment

I was one of very few non type A in my academy class a few years ago. Every instructor told me that I was going to have an interesting career. They were right.
                        What Is A Veteran?
                        A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by jdavi76 View Post
                          Thanks for your responses. I have been told that I am to laid back and not assertive enough for this career. People also tell me I am too nice. Is there anything I can do to be more assertive?
                          I'm curious, are the 'People' that tell you you are too laid back etc. LEOs?
                          I ask because people will make judgements based on what they think LEOs should be and their perception is almost always skewed. The way I behave with friends, family etc is very different from the way I conduct myself on the job. I also behave differently with regular citizens vs criminals. Once hired, you'll learn what you need in the academy. YOU are the one that needs to decide if this career is right for you. No one else. Good Luck.

Oh, and what the 'blue chick' said!
                          Last edited by Zeitgeist; 05-16-2010, 05:27 AM.
                          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I used to work with a guy who was one of the most laid back people you'll ever meet, but when the crap hit the fan he could transform himslef into the Hulk and pick you up and break you in two. Once everything was calmed down, he was back to his easy going self.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                              I used to work with a guy who was one of the most laid back people you'll ever meet, but when the crap hit the fan he could transform himslef into the Hulk and pick you up and break you in two. Once everything was calmed down, he was back to his easy going self.
                              ^^ Pretty much the way I am... I don't know about turning into the Hulk, but when it's time to get down and dirty, I don't mind a bit. I actually like fighting, so when the bad guy rings the bell to start the round, it's ON!!
                              Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12371 users online. 465 members and 11906 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X