300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medical question

i have just recently been informed that i have scoliosis. it is very very minor but has been giving me back pain lately. after some physical therapy, the back pain should go away but i will always have scoliosis. does anyone know if this is a bad thing if you want to pursue being a police officer? even if it is I'm still going to try to become one no matter what. but i would like to know if I'm going to be fighting an up hill battle or not. i assume however its very much depends on the agency.

thanks in advance

It's really difficult to give you a definitive answer. The key will no doubt be your ability to perform the physical duties required of an Officer. Each department pretty well establishes the medical standards which will apply to it. Examining Physicians will examine applicants and report their findings to the Agency. I would suggest you do some research, including speaking to a Recruiter at an agency which interests you. Determine if it's in your best interests to apply. If you're in California, you might check with CAL POST.I believe they publish a list of medical standards which are applicable statewide. Good luck in your research and your efforts.

Comment

L-1 should be along shortly to give you the link on medical standards governed by CA POST.

Comment

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/medical.asp

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
          L-1 should be along shortly to give you the link on medical standards governed by CA POST.
          Until he arrives, you can pass the time reading Washington's standards:

415-104-700
          Spine and sacroiliac joints.
          The report of the medical history by the examining physician requires a full back X ray (cervical-dorsal-lumbar-sacral). See WAC 415-104-588. The following conditions of the spine and sacroiliac joints are causes for rejection of membership:
          (1) Arthritis, see WAC 415-104-588(1);

(2) Complaint of disease or injury of the spine or sacroiliac joints either with or without objective signs and symptoms which have prevented the individual from successfully following a physically active vocation in civilian life. Substantiation or documentation of the complaint without symptoms and objective signs is required;

(3) Deviation or curvature of spine from normal alignment, structure, or function (scoliosis, kyphosis, or lordosis, spina bifida acculta, spondylolysis, etc.) if:

(a) Mobility and weight-bearing power is poor;

(b) More than moderate restriction of normal physical activities is required;

(c) Of such a nature as to prevent the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life;

(d) Of a degree which will interfere with the wearing of required equipment;

(e) Symptomatic, associated with positive physical finding(s) demonstrable by X ray;

(4) Disease of the lumbosacral or sacroiliac joints of a chronic type and obviously associated with pain referred to the lower extremities, muscular spasm, postural deformities and limitation of motion in the lumbar region of the spine;

(5) Granulomatous diseases either active or healed;

(6) Healed fracture of the spine or pelvic bones with associated symptoms which have prevented the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life or which preclude the satisfactory performance of required duties;

(7) Ruptured nucleus pulposus (herniation of intervertebral disk) or history of operation for this condition;

(8) Spondylolyssis or spondylolisthesis that is symptomatic or is likely to interfere with performance of duty or is likely to require assignment limitations.

Comment

What Do You Mean Wait For L-1???

You guys have been around long enough to know what links to point him to.

HCknights, whether or not your situation is medically disqualifying will depend on the degree of its severity. Below is a link to the recommended California standard, which explains the implications and risks posed by such a condition. Again, while this is the California standard, the principles are fairly universal throughout the US.

http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Musculo.pdf
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses, they were all very useful

Comment

Originally posted by hcknights View Post
                Thanks everyone for the responses, they were all very useful
                I see you are in California. One of the additional problems you ill be faced with is the generosity of California's workers compensation laws. Under California law, if your are hurt on the job, you employer can be required to pay for treatment of those injuries for the rest of your life. Similarly, if a preexisting condition is made worse by a work related injury, under California law your employer may be required to pay to fix your preexistingn injury, if doing so is necessary to fix your work related injury. Then, lifetime medical is awaded on everything that was worked on. Additionally, the criteria for disability retirement is extremely liberal, making candidates with such conditions who get injured, high risk for a costly pension.

As a result, applicants with preexisting illnesses or injuries that have a high tendency for reinjure or exacerbation (ortho, heart, hypertension, diabetes. etc.) are often rejected on the medical because the strenuous duties of the job preclude reasonable accommodation and pose unreasonable fiscal liability for the employer.

Now having said that, don't be discouraged. A lot of smaller departments are not that thorough on their physicals. They may not look that hard or may use the local doctor who just tells you to take off your clothes, grabs your junk, tells you to cough and sends you on your way. Don't give up until your have at least tried it with several agencies.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I have it, didn't effect me getting hired by two different agencies..........
                  Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

He could do that medical marijuana thing if the pain gets too bad.

Starting off with back problems in this profession is not good. Not that you cannot do it, just letting you know that it might only get worse.
                    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                      I have it, didn't effect me getting hired by two different agencies..........
                      this is really encouraging to hear!

L-1 thank you for your information. I can see why agencies in California would not want to take a risk on people who are likely to have reoccurring injuries. Hopefully it wont be a problem for me, but even if it is I will still try as hard as i can to become a cop. Nobody said life was easy.

Oh and L-1 I am definitely looking for the doctor to grad my junk then send me on my way, just the way i like it
                      Last edited by hcknights; 04-26-2010, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hcknights View Post
                        I am definitely looking for the doctor to grad my junk then send me on my way, just the way i
                        just the was you get your big grins? nevermind
                        Last edited by luckydog; 04-26-2010, 06:18 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4994 users online. 314 members and 4680 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X