Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is diabetes a DQ?

Hey all,

I have a quick question for the hiring process. I've been in the process for Deputy for about 5 months, and I just did my Medical and Psychological eval's this past week.

I had my medical eval kicked back today because my blood tests came back with low blood sugar. I don't think I ate dinner the night before my blood test and I didn't eat that morning, so I think that might have been why it came back like that. I also used to drink a lot of soda and about a month ago I pretty much stopped drinking sugary drinks altogether and have been drinking a lot of water, would that cause my blood sugar to drop at all?

I've never had any problems with low blood sugar or diabetes. I just got out of the Army in November, and I had to get all these medical tests done and I was clear. So, I think and hope it was just that day. So they want me to go to my Doctor and be tested again to find out the reason for the low blood sugar. So if it turns out bad, and say I have diabetes, is that something that is usually a DQ? I think I'll be okay, I'm just curious. I'm this far along, so I'm probably just worrying a little too much. Thanks!
    Last edited by OCEnforcer29; 04-21-2010, 01:15 AM.
    CHICKS DIG IT!!!

It would depend on the department. I work for a very large urban department and I know 3 officers that are diabetic, does not effect their job performance.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

me and Mikeymedic are both diabetics... haven't hurt us at all. I haven't heard of anyone being DQed for diabetes.

btw, HYPOglycemia (low blood sugar) isn't typically an indicator of Diabetes. HYPERglycemia (high blood sugar) would be an indicator as well as protein or sugar in your urine.

because of the army physical and all that, sounds like a fluke to me. best of luck.

Comment

I know several officers who are diabetic.
        I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

Diabetic here as well with no problems. As long as I take my Metformin, everything is good to go.

Comment

Thanks all. I'm having my tests redone tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.
            CHICKS DIG IT!!!

Comment

California's take on endocrine problems can be found here

http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Endo.pdf

It will give a feel for the implications of diabetes and blood sugar related issues for law enforcement.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Yeah I got type 1, insulin injections and all. If you are in your 20's your chances are either: Type 2 (pills and diet), or hypoglycemia. Either way like mentioned above it hasn't hurt us and as long as you can control it then it is no problem. I have not heard of a dept. axing a potential applicant due to diabetes yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                  Yeah I got type 1, insulin injections and all. If you are in your 20's your chances are either: Type 2 (pills and diet), or hypoglycemia. Either way like mentioned above it hasn't hurt us and as long as you can control it then it is no problem. I have not heard of a dept. axing a potential applicant due to diabetes yet.
                  Actually one of my co-workers was told by another agency that he applied to that they wouldn't say they would not hire him because he is a diabetic but would find another reason not to hire him. Their loss as he's one of the best DT instructors at our Academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                    Actually one of my co-workers was told by another agency that he applied to that they wouldn't say they would not hire him because he is a diabetic but would find another reason not to hire him. Their loss as he's one of the best DT instructors at our Academy.
                    Thier loss, your gain. Problem with diabetes is there are a lot of people out there that don't understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                      Thier loss, your gain. Problem with diabetes is there are a lot of people out there that don't understand it.
                      The irony of that situation is that he's probably, no, not probably, is, healthier than I am in terms of diet----he doesn't eat the greasy, fatty food that I do and doesn't drink either.

Comment

As vfm already mentioned, it's hyperglycemia that normally flags someone to be evaulated further for diabetic-related issues. You say you had low blood-sugar. How low was it? If you were alert, oriented, and coherent during your physical, I doubt it was low enough to cause concern. The average adult is between 70 and 110. From the sounds of your health, I doubt you are developing Type II unless there was some illness/injury you recently sustained that is affecting your pancreas.
                        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4133 users online. 194 members and 3939 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X