Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paramedic License

Hello,

Is being a paramedic beneficial to the position of a police officer? I'm currently an EMT in southern california and a full time college student. I am debating whether to take a year off to get my medic license or just continue with classes towards my degree. Once hired and after my custody and patrol time, I would like to be a part of a specialized unit.

To all the Officers, would becoming a medic be a smart career move and put me ahead of other applicants in a hiring process? I am 23 years old and giving myself a few more years to have my educational goals completed. What suggestions do you guys have?

Thank you to all for the advice and words of wisdom.

Jonathan

Didnt you already post this???
    It sounds familiar.
    It wont hurt you, thats for sure
    "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
    The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
    sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
    Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
      Didnt you already post this???
      It sounds familiar.
      It wont hurt you, thats for sure
      no you're thinking of me, i posted a thread about en EMT basic cert last week

Comment

There's no straight answer for this. It will depend on the agency involved. Most standard police departments do not have Medical Directors or oversight that will allow you to work as a true Paramedic. Unless they need a medic for the SWAT team, I don't see how it's going to be beneficial. Some agencies may like it and it's beneficial. Others like mine are dual-certified where all police officers are cross-trained as FF's and about 1/3 of us are EMTs/IVs. You get extra money per month for holding an EMT license and it's definitely attractive on one's resume.
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by IrightI19 View Post
          To all the Officers, would becoming a medic be a smart career move and put me ahead of other applicants in a hiring process?

No, it should not help.

Most of California is civil service. It's hiring process tends to be very structured, You are rated on the number of correct answers you give to written and oral questions that measure your ability to perform the duties of a police officer. Because those test questions must be closely related to the job you are seeking, it would be unusual for them to address or award points for things like paramedic skills, which are traditionally fire department responsibilities.

FWIW, a lot of people come here thinking that having management experience, or having served in the Rangers, or speaking a second language, or having a degree, or an EMT certificate, or being in great physical shape, or being a pilot, or a locksmith or a gunsmith, or computer guru, or having martial arts training, is somehow going to give them an advantage over all the other applicants. Any of those skill sets are handy to have, but as a patrol officer working the street, the times in which you might be called upon to actually use them may be few and far between and have little to do with your overall duties of law enforcement. They really don't add any significant value to an applicant. .

What will put you steps ahead is to give more correct answers to the test questions than other applicants. For every test there is usually an exam announcement. Buried in the fine print of that announcement there is usually an explanation as to what you will be tested on. For example, the exam announcement for an upcoming state peace officer position says applicants will be tested on the following:

Knowledge of:
          Investigation techniques and procedures, rules of evidence, and court procedures; laws of arrest; search and seizure and legal rights of citizens; service of legal process; duties of Federal, State, and local law enforcement agencies; civil, narcotic, and criminal investigation techniques; interview and interrogation techniques, processes, and procedures; provisions of the California Penal Code and the Code of Civil Procedures; California Penal Code sections frequently used in the enforcement of Alcoholic Beverage Control laws; sources of information used in locating persons; procedures of the Office of Administrative Hearings; techniques of identifying, securing, preserving, and presenting evidence; disclosure laws, banking, escrow, and loan laws and procedures; laws and practices of business structures, such as corporations and limited partnerships; partnership and stock arrangements relating to the manufacture and sale of alcoholic beverages; effects of foreign ownership and/or controlled businesses upon license applications; California financial codes and regulations governing the financial activity being investigated, such as complex financial schemes in the area of real estate, escrow transactions, banking, loans, stock arrangements, limited partnerships, and corporate law (multinational and conglomerate); California Vehicle Code sections pertaining to drinking and possession in motor vehicles; disciplinary procedure as it relates to the types of actions which can be taken against licensed premises; functions of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Appeals Board and its related procedures; provisions of the laws, rules, and regulations enforced or administered.

Ability to:
          Develop techniques, methods, and skills required in the conducting of civil, narcotic, and criminal investigations; participate effectively in surveillance investigations and interviews; determine the age of persons in and about licensed premises; interpret and apply laws and regulations to specific situations; gather and analyze facts and evidence and present such evidence as required; analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action; exercise good judgment; follow instructions; communicate effectively and prepare reports in clear, concise form; operate standard office equipment, including computers; deal with law enforcement problems tactfully and effectively; deal effectively with members of the public and co-workers; establish and maintain effective working relationships with Federal, State, and local law enforcement and district/city attorney agencies; work independently; assume the full responsibilities of a law enforcement officer; act in the various roles necessary to conduct undercover investigations in a variety of settings; make physical arrests; appear as an expert witness; analyze the effects of city and county ordinances on the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act or applicable Business and Professions Code sections on application for licensure; analyze potential negative and positive effects of location of the premises on the community; interpret police records; train and maintain liaison with other law enforcement agencies; analyze circumstances and recommend consistent actions in the approval or denial of applications or discipline against licensees; review the work of others; give guidance; counsel in work methods and procedures.

Clearly, paramedic skills would offer no significant value to the performance of this job.

Everyone ignores the fine print except the smart ones. Read the fine print and you will know what to study for. That should put you ahead of the others.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

It's kind of like volunteer work, it's good for the resume but it's actual use on the job would be minimal. Even if you roll up on something like a bad traffic crash, you just won't have the supplies needed to do real medical work, and most SWAT medics are full time FD guys.

Comment

In general I don't think it would be that helpful. You are also going to have to run somewhere if you want to keep up on your skills and pass you annual tests. Unless the city you work for has tactical medics I wouldn't waste my time or money getting anything higher than an EMT-B cert.--and that isn't going to mean much in most hiring processes either.
              Last edited by just joe; 04-20-2010, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I was a paramedic before I got hired. It helped in that I had experience dealing with people in stressfull situations. My EMS experience also helped me when I finally got on the job for the exact same reasons. I had several years of expereince working for a 911 service, so it was a little more applicable.
                "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

I know this is late, but I am dual certified as a Paramedic and LEO, and truthfully, the benefit of being a paramedic is nada for my LEO job. Your medical skills faaaarrr outreach what you can/should be doing as a first responder/police officer. An EMT licence is beneficial in your line of work... I've used trauma dressings and a C Collar a few times on bad accidents and shootings, but otherwise, Im more concerned with keeping my EMS folks safe when I'm working in blue, rather then messing with the patient.

In the end, if you are going to take the time/money/effort to be a paramedic, then be a paramedic, and let the LEO thing go. If LEO is where your heart is, then focus on that. As far as the hiring process, its irrelevant, as people have said prior. Hope this helps, and good luck!
                  Laws are like sausages. It's better not to see them being made. ~Otto von Bismarck

Comment

Two words:
                    SWAT MEDIC.

Other than that, great knowledge to have, and maybe a little pay incentive over non- EMS trained officers.

On a funny note, my wife is a Paramedic/Firefighter and says she could never be a cop- says she would shot some as%^^^ the first day.
                    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8058 users online. 430 members and 7628 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X