Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much video formatting is permitted for prosecutor approved dashcam requests?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much video formatting is permitted for prosecutor approved dashcam requests?

How much editing is allowed? Does the officer produce the video themselves, or does records pull it without the officer having access to it?

My evidence tech handles it. I doubt there is any editing, as that would be illegal...They get the whole video.
    Now the media WILL edit a dashcam video for their viewers...usually to paint the officer in a bad light
    "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
    The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
    sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
    Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Our video wirelessly uploads directly from our squad to a server that we have read-only access to (and, then, only to our own videos). Video is pulled from the server and burned to disk as needed/requested by the prosecution or defense.
      The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Our program does not allow editing whatsoever...you get the whole thing, or nothing.
        called out by member SOI on 04-19-2010 and he didn't back it up..

Comment

I'm fairly certain that would be akin to walking into a crime scene and moving things around to make your case look better.

Not only unethical, but probably against some obscure legal ruling that would likely land you in jail.
          Originally posted by K40
          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

What percentage of time does a dashcam run out of tape while recording a stop? Is there a generally a procedure in place which requires a tape change when recording time availability hits a certain threshold?

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
              What percentage of time does a dashcam run out of tape while recording a stop?
              Happens all the time..... Especially if you go to a wreck or something like that and forget to turn your camera off since ours were activated when the emergency lights came on.... I always had a spare DVD (read access only) and would put it in when I got back going again and noticed my stuff was down.....

Is there a generally a procedure in place which requires a tape change when recording time availability hits a certain threshold?
              Depends I the Agency......

As for your orginal question......Every place I know has issue/turn in procedures and doesn't allow for editing. The last 3 places I worked for used DVDs and they were record only. No way one could go back over them to edit......

Comment

Most of ours are digitally recorded and the program saves each event as an individual file. I simply burn the file to a cd and turn it over. No editing, no formatting.
                “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

How much editing is allowed? Does the officer produce the video themselves, or does records pull it without the officer having access to it?
                  There is no editing allowed and in my agency, it would come from the custodian of records.

However like a discovery motion, you will only get what you ask for, so you need to be very specific as to what you want. If you are not thorough and specific, you may miss a lot.

I will not help you any further in this respect. However, I will say that when I was custodian of records, a lot of folks did not get information that could have been very beneficial to them because they were not thorough in their discovery motions or public records requests. Had they taken the time to do a little research and be just a little more thoughtful and broad in their requests, they might have gotten a treasure trove of data.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

What do you do when you get a call in the middle of the night from your Sgt wanting to know if there is a way to delete the in-car camera footage?

Sgt took new PV on an assist in a neighboring county late at night. Didn't know his way out of the back roads and the requesting agency PV lead him to the highway. As a matter of saying thank you, Sgt flips on overheads quickly and then back off and starts heading for home since he was called out from bed. Didn't notice that the camera activated until quite some time later. Even later he noticed the funny numbers on the screen that seemed to match the numbers on his speedometer. Just to make sure, he sped up and sure enough the numbers continued to match (use your imagination as you think about the speed of the PV on the road, middle of the night, no other cars, and you had been sleeping before being called out) I asked if he was in the PV at that moment and he was. I let him know that the camera also had a mic in the PV and that his questions had also been recorded!!!!! Then I had to let him know that his response to that had also been recorded!

I don't care who you are...that's funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funniest part is that he order the dang thing and had it put in the car to keep the officers honest.
                    Last edited by BigDog4907; 04-13-2010, 10:25 PM.
                    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

Indiana just passed a law...

It must be the whole tape with no breaks in the time sequence for interrogation. I am stepping on a tiny limb by saying they will probably include dash cams and mic cams or any other cam for that matter in this bill.
                      This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Burned to a CD and turned over. Nothing is edited.

Comment

With my agency, nothing is edited, nothing is deleted.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5578 users online. 386 members and 5192 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X