Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 questions

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2 questions

    Hello... first off I want to say that I have the utmost respect for all LEO, I myself am hoping to become employed by a local agency at sometime in the future (when they start hiring ) I also understand that the few unfortunate run-ins that any civilian has with one particular officer doesn't allow for having a negative attitude with ALL of LE; there are bad apples in every bunch, in every profession.

    On to my questions:

    #1: In your department in Anytown, USA, are the motorcycle patrols only seasonal, or do they work in inclement weather as well?

    #2: I recently had a fix-it citation given to me by CHP, and it was for a few vehicle code violations on my motorcycle, but upon going to pay the fine, I realized that the officer had checked the 'non-correctable' box on all my offenses. I was then told I had to go to court, and upon doing so, the officer had also added that I didn't have my registration and that I was also 'playing word games' with him. All that aside, is it legal to add to the citation after I've signed it and left on my way?

    As a side note, and if you want to take my word for it; I was in no way disrespectful to the officer, and I thought the whole event had gone on quite normally. He asked me questions, I answered them all truthfully- I wasn't going to give him any flack over something I was obviously guilty of (no exhaust/blinkers, license plate not clearly visible).

    Any feedback is appreciated; I'm just curious, and any ribbing or comments you guys give is only taken as professional opinion. I've been lurking on the forums for a while and see how some people take quick offense to the answers and criticism they come here for.

    Thanks,

    CDM

  • #2
    Originally posted by thea_nonymus1 View Post
    Hello... first off I want to say that I have the utmost respect for all LEO, I myself am hoping to become employed by a local agency at sometime in the future (when they start hiring ) I also understand that the few unfortunate run-ins that any civilian has with one particular officer doesn't allow for having a negative attitude with ALL of LE; there are bad apples in every bunch, in every profession.

    On to my questions:

    #1: In your department in Anytown, USA, are the motorcycle patrols only seasonal, or do they work in inclement weather as well?

    #2: I recently had a fix-it citation given to me by CHP, and it was for a few vehicle code violations on my motorcycle, but upon going to pay the fine, I realized that the officer had checked the 'non-correctable' box on all my offenses. I was then told I had to go to court, and upon doing so, the officer had also added that I didn't have my registration and that I was also 'playing word games' with him. All that aside, is it legal to add to the citation after I've signed it and left on my way?

    As a side note, and if you want to take my word for it; I was in no way disrespectful to the officer, and I thought the whole event had gone on quite normally. He asked me questions, I answered them all truthfully- I wasn't going to give him any flack over something I was obviously guilty of (no exhaust/blinkers, license plate not clearly visible).

    Any feedback is appreciated; I'm just curious, and any ribbing or comments you guys give is only taken as professional opinion. I've been lurking on the forums for a while and see how some people take quick offense to the answers and criticism they come here for.

    Thanks,

    CDM
    #1 - ours are seasonal.

    #2 - Depends on the area I would guess. Once I've given a violator a citation, our policy states that I am not to change it unless to void out the citation entirely. If I need to amend the citation, then I am to complete a second citation, hand deliver it to the accused's address (if in the city), send it certified mail to the accused, or submit it to the court so that they may enter it into the record and the accused will be notified that way.
    Originally posted by K40
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

    Comment


    • #3
      1 - Motors around here are year-round. We have year-round riding weather.

      2 - A citation can be amended at any time after issuance right up to the start of trial.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

      I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you both.

        @ateamer, thanks; this explains it, as I am in CA as well.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by thea_nonymus1 View Post
          #1: In your department in Anytown, USA, are the motorcycle patrols only seasonal, or do they work in inclement weather as well?
          Seasonal. Of course its hard to ride a motorcycle when you've got 6 feet of snow and a -50 degree headwind.

          Originally posted by thea_nonymus1 View Post
          #2: I recently had a fix-it citation given to me by CHP, and it was for a few vehicle code violations on my motorcycle, but upon going to pay the fine, I realized that the officer had checked the 'non-correctable' box on all my offenses. I was then told I had to go to court, and upon doing so, the officer had also added that I didn't have my registration and that I was also 'playing word games' with him. All that aside, is it legal to add to the citation after I've signed it and left on my way?
          Its not uncommon for an officer to make notes on a citation as a reminder down the road. We have a place for just such a thing on our cites. Remember, we have many contacts a day and a court date might not happen for months. A little note helps refresh the stop.

          I remember an officer who used to put a little smiley face in box if the person was cooperative or a little frowny face when the person was less than cooperative.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

          Comment


          • #6
            #1 our motors are year round.
            #2 our citations can be amended in court.........
            as an aside, I will write comments made by the violator on the section provided on the citation, especially profanity. Looks really nice in court.
            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

            Comment


            • #7
              User Banned
              Last edited by Nobody; 04-22-2010, 01:17 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                regarding your "side note" - some officers are a55hats (not saying this one was or wasnt) so ANYTHING you say other than "yes sir" or "no sir" they consider to be argumentative. Sounds like you realize there are various personalities behind that shield, so learn from it (read: if you one day are wearing that shield, don't forget you are a civilian for most of your life...and the person you are interacting with is still a fellow human being)

                Thank you again.

                Understood; it's obvious he, as well as you all, come in contact with both rude/confrontational & cooperative subjects in your line of work as well. Perhaps what I thought was a respectful & cooperative attitude didn't come across the same to him.


                Originally posted by SRT936 View Post

                I remember an officer who used to put a little smiley face in box if the person was cooperative or a little frowny face when the person was less than cooperative.

                Guess I didn't get a smiley, lol.

                Comment


                • #9
                  If someone gets an attitude I can add the additional fines to the original citation while on the stop. Most of my stops can carrying multiple fines, however, I usually just remind the driver of the problem, and direct him/her towards the proper correctable action. The only thing I change on a citation after leaving the scene is if I messed up on their court time. At that point I will go to their residence (if in town) and correct their copy for them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If CHP amends their citations prior to going to court, they must do so on a particular form, a copy of which is sent to you. However, if the officer testifies according to the notes he wrote on the back of his copy of the citation, that is not considered amending the citation. He is merely refreshing his memory as he testifies.

                    If an officer feels a driver has been uncooperative, he may make a notation of "AH" on the back of his citation to denote Angry and Hostile.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                      If CHP amends their citations prior to going to court, they must do so on a particular form, a copy of which is sent to you. However, if the officer testifies according to the notes he wrote on the back of his copy of the citation, that is not considered amending the citation. He is merely refreshing his memory as he testifies.

                      If an officer feels a driver has been uncooperative, he may make a notation of "AH" on the back of his citation to denote Angry and Hostile.

                      Not Adam Henry?
                      "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"


                      The real deal

                      Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                        Not Adam Henry?
                        Well counselor, it meant angry and hostile to me. Of course, you know your client better than I do.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                          Well counselor, it meant angry and hostile to me. Of course, you know your client better than I do.
                          LOL sounds like a line you might use on the witness stand
                          "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"


                          The real deal

                          Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            #1 : Year-round, however if there is a significant chance of rain, Risk Management dictates that a car will be taken out on patrol vs. a motorcycle.

                            #2: We can amend a citation after the fact, but must fill out a "Citation Amendment" form - it's in triplicate. One copy is mailed out, certified, to the defendant. The original goes to the Court and the third gets attached to the station copy of the original citation.

                            Honestly, I think adding violations after the fact makes the officer look petty and vindictive. The only thing I will amend after the fact is if I find out when I get back to the station that there was a license restriction or suspension that I was unaware of when issuing the original cite. Sometimes the radio is busy or something is going on, so I don't have the opportunity to check the license status until I get back to the computer at the station, but this only happens maybe once every few months...
                            LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Our use of motorcycles is not so much "seasonal" as it is weather-related.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 10059 users online. 479 members and 9580 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X