300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top speed during emergencies

I was just curious if your department has a set speed to go when heading out to an emergency. For example:

If the speed limit is 35 mph is the max speed your allowed lets say 70mph?
    or
    Does it depend on if it is a two lane road versus a 4 lane road?

The reason I am asking is because around here, most of the city roads are 35 mph, it appears as though a lot of times when emergency vehicles pass me it seems like they aren't doing much more than 50 or 55 mph. While at some other times they appear to be going in excess of 70 mph or so. I was just curious if your department sets a max speed your allowed to go during emergencies.

Thanks
    Shane
    Stupid is as stupid does. Sometimes people win the Darwin Award.

Don't set max speed policies

Setting up a maximum speed policy would leave the agency open to civil litigation and $$$ damages if the policy were violated and something unfortunate (accident) occurred.

Maximum speed is determined by the officer, based on his abilities, road and weather conditions, and the severity of the offense.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

As fast as it's safe.

Comment

Fast enough to get there, slow enough to not crash.
        Originally posted by K40
        To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
        ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

We drive with "due regard" at all times.
          All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Thanks for the responses, that's what I was thinking, but I was mainly just being curious.

Comment

user banned permanently
              Last edited by Nobody; 04-22-2010, 01:55 PM.

Comment

The trip time difference between you driving to an emergency and an EMERGENCY is about 10-15 seconds. Risking your own life, a fifty thousand dollar cruiser, the risk to the public, etc. just isn't worth it because somebody else didn't shoot somebody else soon enough. Until your cape allows individual unassisted flight, just try to remember that you can't swoop in and save your buddy if you're sideways in a ditch, cussing a blown up motor or providing first aid to your victims.
                Expect nothing but conjecture, tall tales, partially true war stories, speculation and biased, irrelevant information- but it's all FREE for a limited time!

Comment

user banned permanently
                  Last edited by Nobody; 04-22-2010, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                    We drive with "due regard" at all times.
                    Exactly.
                    “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

for things were know are probably bogus, like "man stabbed by grandmother with fork" ( ) we roll "firefighter code", meaning quick, but slow enough not to wreck and stopping at intersections...

All other code 3 calls we are limited to around 20 over. But if it's an officer assist, there is no limit, and even if there was, we'd ignore it.
                      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

We are held to XXX over the posted limit, do I like it? NO, do I understand why? YES. We are trying to push for the same as Fire and EMS in putting us at "a speed that is reasonable and prudent for the existing conditions". No need for my speedometer to go from hero to zero when responding to a call.
                        It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Our cars (ford's) are governed at 125 I think... but most aren't safe in terms of maintenance past 110. So that's my answer.

Comment

We have no policy, just the standard due regard to safety. My car is only good to ~110 due to a dated and worn suspension. And that is just in a straight line. It handles like a pig in the turns.

Comment

Sounds like some of you are limited then, but either way I definitely understand you must drive with "due regard". A lot of your responses have been educational, for me at least.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4161 users online. 233 members and 3928 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X