300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off duty, witness a crime

I was wondering what you as a LEO would do or what you are required to do if you are off duty and witness a person selling drugs.

If I notice a repeated action at a specific location, I will call the local agency that has jurisdiction. If it is a one time deal that happens to take place, I ignore it! Off duty is off duty. Unless there is an immediate threat to life or limb, I make a terrific witness.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Yep. I've probably got a gun on me, but not much else. What happens when you approach Mr. Drug Dealer and he decides he wants to fight? Now what? You have no radio, no cuffs, no less lethal devices and no way to call for backup.

It's just a drug deal. No one's life is in immediate danger. I would only act to protect myself or someone else from the immediate threat of death or serious bodily injury. If not, it's just like Sarge said. Be a good witness.

Comment

I'm gonna piggy back off of the OP's question. How many of you HAVE made off-duty arrests? And what were they for?
        "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by novelwriter View Post
          I was wondering what you as a LEO would do or what you are required to do if you are off duty and witness a person selling drugs.
          I report it if I'm known to the area. If not, I just go on like any other person would.

Comment

I could call the local police department like every other citizen and let them know what's going on or just ignore it. I only get involved off duty when someone's life is at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
              Off duty is off duty. Unless there is an immediate threat to life or limb, I make a terrific witness.
              Beautifully stated. I'm armed off-duty 90% of the time (Probation Officer in a small, rural county...I run into too many felons that I've sent to prison off-duty). The weapon is for the protection of myself and my family. I make a great witness as well!

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
                I'm gonna piggy back off of the OP's question. How many of you HAVE made off-duty arrests? And what were they for?
                Once a long time ago (about twenty years). I was leaving my attorney's office (NO! Not a criminal attorney!) when I see this guy running down the street carrying an armful of obviously new clothes (suit jackets, slacks, etc). Another guy chasing him yelling something to the effect the first guy jacked the clothes from a nearby retail store.

I recognized the first guy as one of our regulars anyway so I knew what was wrong with this picture. I gave chase. Only lasted about two blocks before first guys drops on his own (dopers aren't in the best of shape), says my name and "you got me". Patted him down and walked his scrawny arse back to the attorney's office (this was before cell phones and he wasn't about to buck. I was 30ish and in good shape), called the on duty guys to hook him up.

Would I do the same now? Yeah.....probably. Just hasn't happened again since.
                sigpic
                Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

I've got a take home car, so its a little different for me. I've at least got my radio, one set of cuffs, and a marked police car if I have to get involved.

The only off duty arrest I've ever made was a DUI, and I turned him over to a DUI task force car to process so technically I was the stopping/assisting officer and not the arresting officer on that one.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

1. I carry this marvelous little device called a cell phone - and, I know how to use it!

2. If I insert myself into the middle of this, I may just find out I messed up a UC operation by the locals/SO/DEA, making me VERY unpopular.

No lives at risk, I can be a wonderful witness.
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Felony DUI and attempted hit and run. He was half way into a 3 point u-turn after rear ending me when he got ripped out his open window
                      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                        If I notice a repeated action at a specific location, I will call the local agency that has jurisdiction. If it is a one time deal that happens to take place, I ignore it! Off duty is off duty. Unless there is an immediate threat to life or limb, I make a terrific witness.
                        I actually noticed a drug deal on the side of the road just a few weeks ago. The location was out of state and in a city of +50k so I just kept on driving.

I've made one a number of yrs ago. There was this kid that bragged to me off duty that he drives around while suspended and doesn't get caught. Sure enough about a week later I was heading to my mother's house to mow her grass when I see this kid driving. As we pass each other he recognizes me and waves. So I wave to be polite then I pick up the cell and call the PD. Marked units find him at a family reunion, arrest him and transport him to the PD to where I was to hand him his citation.

Comment

Frankly, the only crimes I've ever seen off duty are small misdemeanors, that I may ignore even if I'm on duty. In case of an emergency, I'll dial 911. If my family is with me, I'll get them to a safe location, and then dial 911. But really the only things I've seen are people urinating in public, or public intoxication.

One time I was in line at the store, and the cashier was shortchanging a blind woman. Since I hate ****ies that take advantage of the weak, I just walked up to the guy and put my wallet badge on the counter. He got an oh **** face, and gave the woman the correct change.

-SC
                          Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                          - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                          MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                          Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                          Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                          Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                          MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                          DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Every so often when I am off-duty I will get someone trying to see me pills. I just tell them to f off and go about my business. Like posted above the last thing I want to do is screw up an operation that my be going on over some stupid pills. Sometimes I will call it in....just depends on my mood.

Comment

Only off duty arrest I've made is domestic violence. I watched a guy strike his girlfriend four times in her face with his fist. She fell to the ground and was screaming. I called our dispatch and advised what I had. I then walked over, identified myself, and detained him. He wasn't combative with me, which was good because I didn't have any equipment except my duty weapon. When the on duty guys got there, I asked for a ticket and booking slip. They were more than happy to transport him to jail.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2571 users online. 139 members and 2432 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X