300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Up Weapon?????

Just want some points of view from other LEO’s based on experience. I go back and forth on carrying a back up gun while on duty. I carry a back up sometimes (ankle holster) and then I stop for a while. The two arguments that I contemplate are; if I get in a foot chase and lose it or if I get into a fight with it on? it’s one more gun for the bad guy to get a hold of. On the other side of the coin, what if my duty weapon fails or something along those lines. Obviously If I need to go to a back up the S**&^& has hit the fan but I’d hate to not have it (back up) when it does. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

find a new place for your BUG. I can PM you but I don't know what you are carrying so I cannot advise on the location. There are your few obvious reasons not to want to carry a BUG which you list. However, there are so many more benefits. I carry mine in a place that I can access if needed, but never worry about a BG finding or losing.

Comment

thanks ill send IM

Comment

sorry PM........................

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
          find a new place for your BUG. I can PM you but I don't know what you are carrying so I cannot advise on the location. There are your few obvious reasons not to want to carry a BUG which you list. However, there are so many more benefits. I carry mine in a place that I can access if needed, but never worry about a BG finding or losing.
          +1
          wherever you go, there you are....

Comment

I always carry a BUG, it's the quickest re-load.
            It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

BUG's are against out SOP but some still carry them. I am for it I just can't find a comfortable way to carry it without it being noticeable.

Comment

I always carry mine. Always. My advice and this is just my own opinion, if you have to supply your own primary get one with a manual safety. Carry a B/U that is safe action or double action no safety. Those preciouos miliseconds when whoever has taken your primary, is fumbeling around with your safety you could be spitting lead. I carry a sub compact slimline 9mm that I wear on my vest. Hand in the shirt and out with the pistol. Dry draw and fire it several times at home. Practice on your feet, on the ground, and practice if you were accually involved in a weapon retention senario. Train how you fight and you'll fight how you trained
                Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

Why would anyone NOT carry a pocket gun? Would you go to work without a vest? Without ife insurance? Without every tool there is to save your life if you need to?

No brainer. Carry a BUG AND a knife.
                  The All New
                  BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                  Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                  - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post

No brainer. Carry a BUG AND a knife.
                    +1. One is none, two is one.

Comment

Originally posted by brad601 View Post
                      I always carry mine. Always. My advice and this is just my own opinion, if you have to supply your own primary get one with a manual safety. Carry a B/U that is safe action or double action no safety. Those preciouos miliseconds when whoever has taken your primary, is fumbeling around with your safety you could be spitting lead. I carry a sub compact slimline 9mm that I wear on my vest. Hand in the shirt and out with the pistol. Dry draw and fire it several times at home. Practice on your feet, on the ground, and practice if you were accually involved in a weapon retention senario. Train how you fight and you'll fight how you trained
                      So you carry your primary with the safety on?
                      NO-LIFER

Comment

Good info. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I qualify with a G23 as my "secondary weapon" which is technically our backup gun. We don't have an off-duty gun policy or qualification so I use that as my OD gun qual. However, I'll often carry my KelTec P32 as a backup gun even though policy stipulates BUG calibers must be .380 or larger. I figure the P32 is at least good enough for contact shots. I carry it a lot when I'm off too.

Comment

We qualified with duty weapons and up to two off duties, but BUGs aren't addressed anywhere in policy. In a life or death situation, anything is fair game. The only question is justification.
                            Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 01-29-2010, 10:13 PM.
                            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

One thing an academy firearms instructor told me once. If you plan on carrying a semi-auto as a backup, be aware that in situations where using a backup would be most likely (like being in a ground fight where you can't access your primary) you're probably going to be in a close contact situation, jamming the gun into the bad guy's midsection and emptying it. If you do this with a semi-auto, you run the risk of the slide going out-of-battery when you push it into the suspect's body. Then nothing will happen when you pull the trigger. He suggested to us that we carry revolvers.

I carry a S&W 442 in my support pocket.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12788 users online. 366 members and 12422 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X