300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "HEY. Turn the camera off NOW!"

Is this a legal/reasonable order at a fatal accident scene?

What a nice open ended question.

The answer to your question would depend on who is doing the filming and where they are at.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
      What a nice open ended question.

The answer to your question would depend on who is doing the filming and where they are at.
      And what they were filming.
      “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Let's assume for the purposes of this exercise that it's a cameraman from a local television station positioned in a public right of way adjacent to the roadway wearing the appropriate safety vest outside the marked perimeter of the scene.

Comment

Again, what's he filming? The bodies? The idiots rubbernecking? The plane flying overhead?
          “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Originally posted by junpkutz View Post
            Let's assume for the purposes of this exercise that it's a cameraman from a local television station positioned in a public right of way adjacent to the roadway wearing the appropriate safety vest outside the marked perimeter of the scene.
            If you were zooming in on the victim's face still mangled in the wreck, when I know that family has not yet been notified, then yes, the statement is appropriate. If you have been in photo journalism for any period of time, you will know quickly that it's a good idea to work well with others, particularly the public safety agencies in the area that you are paid to cover. Running around the scene like a squirrel capturing as much as you can before you draw too much attention to yourself is a bad idea. Although something isn't illegal, doesn't mean it's right. The officers, FFs, EMS workers can file complaints on media personnel just like anyone else. Good or bad reputations can be built quickly in your line of work just as it is in ours. Keep that in mind.
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

what Sgt Scott said....
              News channels wont dare show that stuff on TV though, (the dead victim), they know it will result in lawsuits and problems...Usually LEOs and Medical personell will have blocked the victim somehow, if possible...ecer see the news where a few cops and firefighters are holding up a large tarp?
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

As far as I care, you could keep filming. Don't be surprised if I decide your tape might have some evidentiary value. If so, I will take your tape as evidence and you will have to petition to get it back.
                God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                  what Sgt Scott said....
                  News channels wont dare show that stuff on TV though, (the dead victim), they know it will result in lawsuits and problems...Usually LEOs and Medical personell will have blocked the victim somehow, if possible...ecer see the news where a few cops and firefighters are holding up a large tarp?
                  Hmmmm...someone training to work for KCTV5 perhaps...?

Comment

If you want to work in media then take a course in media ethics.

Comment

Deleted.......
                      Last edited by wirefire2; 01-15-2010, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Deleted.....
                        Last edited by wirefire2; 01-15-2010, 05:06 AM.

Comment

If you should be in the area of an incident in CA, you may film anything you wish as long as you stay outside the police investigation lines, do not interfere with the investigation and are reasonable in your approach.

As was stated above, a nice officer might ask you to provide your name and address for their investigation; because, what you film may become valuable to the investigation or have some evidentiary value.

What ever you do, do not use a strong illuminating device that will blind others in the area.
                          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

What's the difference between "appropriate" and "legal" or "reasonable?"
                            What's the difference between "my safety zone" and "my crime scene" and "outside the marked perimeter?"

Comment

Originally posted by junpkutz View Post
                              What's the difference between "appropriate" and "legal" or "reasonable?"
                              What's the difference between "my safety zone" and "my crime scene" and "outside the marked perimeter?"
                              How do you like my new tie?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8846 users online. 387 members and 8459 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X