300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexual Harrasment IA

I was a non-sworn supervisor for a small police department. Several years ago I got popped on a IA for sexual harrasment. Basically, I put my hands on the shoulders of a female employee. She did not like it, but never told me to stop. That was all that happen. It was a touchy feely work place, I did it to other females, it was no big deal. She told a female supervisor but she never told me anything. Admin found out and got the female employee to to file sexual harrasment chargers against me. The other females refused to file. One female quit because she said it was a BS IA. The female supervisor got in deep trouble for not saying antything. I got 30 days off without pay and I got to go to a harrasment class. No problems since then. Several years later I get laid off from the department. I am planning on getting back in to law enforcment as an officer or some other non-sworn position whithin a police department.

My question is. Do you think this IA from 5+ years back will bite me in the butt? Could I get a DQ from this ?

Did you only do this to the female employees. Or did you do it all co-workers regardless of sex?

Comment

The final answer is going to have to come from a department. I will say that it looks bad to have been involved in sexual misconduct... especially when you were employed by an agency.

-SC
      Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
      - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
      MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
      Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
      Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
      Various Graduate Credits - UoP
      MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
      DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Do you realize that you used the word "female" 7 times in your post, where the only time it is relevant to the situation is the first one? Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
          Did you only do this to the female employees. Or did you do it all co-workers regardless of sex?
          Both male and female.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
            Do you realize that you used the word "female" 7 times in your post, where the only time it is relevant to the situation is the first one? Hmmm...
            You kind of lost me there........I did not want to use any names.

Comment

It's going to depend on what's in your personnel file, the internal affairs investigation and what your BI turns up.

A 30 day suspension for sexual harassment is a huge, huge hit by LA County standards for merely placing your hands on someone's shoulders, Similarly, terminating the other supervisor for failing to act in such a matter seems disproportionate for the scenario you describe. I suspect that your personnel file and the internal affairs investigation may say the incident was a lot more than simply placing your hands on the shoulders of another person. If that's the case, you may have a problem with the background. It's going to depend on what the involved parties now say to your background investigator.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

You wouldn't get past the background with me.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

You wouldn't get that kind of discipline hit here unless there was a lot more to the story. At a minimum, expect to answer a lot of questions about it. We would also review the entire investigation. You might have a shot, you might not. I will say this, we hired a guy who was terminated from another agency for sexual harassment. We read the investigation, witness statements, etc. and I actually talked to a number of the people involved. When it was all said and done, it was apparent that the chief had a hard-on for this guy and terminated him without cause. We hired him as a part-timer and he wasn't with us too long before the state board of appeals gave him his full time job back with seniority and back pay.

Comment

Your story lacks something in its content. Personally, I don't see a simple touching as justification for thirty days off. Additionally, as others have stated, another supervisor being terminated for not speaking up is a bit much.

In any event, it would depend a lot on your behavior post incident and the reasons for your termination from the agency. You might be able to overcome just an IA, but further conduct of a similar nature would definitely be a deterrence to hiring you.
                    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I have taken a BI for one agency. They did ask for my version of the IA. Apparently the IA was no longer in my file. I told them the truth. They had no problem with it. I got a DQ becuse of my credit.

A couple of things I did not mention; I went in without any union rep, I know it was a dumb move. The IA investigator even told me I should have gotten a rep. The 30 days off was a reduction in salary to amount up to 30 days off. After that my pay went back to normal. My evals have always been meets and/or exceeds expectations. The employee remained on my team and we have always been on good terms, before, during, and after the incident.

Comment

We had an incident termed the million dollar BJ, long story employee was caught giving her boss a BJ in a smoking shelter, they had been dating for well over two years, however when it all hit the fan she stated that he coerced her, in the end the agency paid her over a million in damages, he was moved to another position, she was moved, and is currently dating??..........................her old boss. I tell this because this is a hard issue, and sometimes the accusations are false and simply not true, but somehow are founded I guess to avoid any issues or whatever, without seeing the facts in the case, and getting BOTH sides of the story it is hard to say what way the department is going to go, we can only speculate based off of our experiences but that’s about it, don’t know what to tell you other than that.
                        It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                          You wouldn't get that kind of discipline hit here unless there was a lot more to the story. At a minimum, expect to answer a lot of questions about it. We would also review the entire investigation. You might have a shot, you might not. I will say this, we hired a guy who was terminated from another agency for sexual harassment. We read the investigation, witness statements, etc. and I actually talked to a number of the people involved. When it was all said and done, it was apparent that the chief had a hard-on for this guy and terminated him without cause. We hired him as a part-timer and he wasn't with us too long before the state board of appeals gave him his full time job back with seniority and back pay.
                          Thats pretty much all there was. Nothing "sexual", no quid pro quo, nada. I admitted to it because I did it. The only thing I can think of was that there were several IA's going on for the same thing, along with a lawsuit or two. The dept could have been covering their butt. The IA sgt was looking to make Lt. After my IA he was transferred out of Admin and a Lt. took over IA. He never made it to Lt. The dept is still in litigation from all the IA's the sgt was involved in. Other than that, I learned my lesson well. I am about as much fun as a wall when I am at work.

Comment

On the bright side, you may be management material.

In the last two agencies I worked for, so many Assistant and Deputy Chiefs had sustained sexual harassment complaints against them that it seemed like you needed two in your file as a minimum qualification for the job.
                            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by DACP View Post
                              We had an incident termed the million dollar BJ, long story employee was caught giving her boss a BJ in a smoking shelter, they had been dating for well over two years, however when it all hit the fan she stated that he coerced her, in the end the agency paid her over a million in damages, he was moved to another position, she was moved, and is currently dating??..........................her old boss. I tell this because this is a hard issue, and sometimes the accusations are false and simply not true, but somehow are founded I guess to avoid any issues or whatever, without seeing the facts in the case, and getting BOTH sides of the story it is hard to say what way the department is going to go, we can only speculate based off of our experiences but that’s about it, don’t know what to tell you other than that.

Wonder if he was in on it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7767 users online. 448 members and 7319 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X