300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexus - White lights to the rear

Do you guys stop those lexus' for having White Lights to the Rear? I feel bad as it is a factory issue but good/easy PC for a stop... just wanted to see what you guys thought...
    ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Don't guess I've seen it. Not a lot of Lexuses around here.
    sigpic
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

I haven't noticed the white rear lights. The California Vehicle Code gives strict standards for lighting. Factory or not, if it doesn't fit the vehicle code's standards, it's a cite.
      God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Pimpiest... stop... ever.

I'm certainly not against finding creative reasons to stop a car that seems suspicious, but if you're stopping Joe Citizen for this, take some stock of how and why you do your job.

I'd have to double-check, but I'm pretty sure that the white light is OK in Illinois, although we do have a nice catch-all section that basically prohibits any lighting not specifically allowed.
        "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Comment

I was always under the impression that the specific coloring of lights was a national standard (NHTSA) not state.

A vehicle should not have a light that illuminates a white light directly at rear traffic. The only exception is the reverse light. A white light is the standard for reverse so if some nitwit see's the white light they may think the car is attempting to reverse. This could cause an evasive move that may result in a crash.

Maybe it's different from state to state.

Are you sure that white light is factory?
          Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Please post a picture. None in my neck of the woods and there are a lot of Lexus vehicles around here. I have seen the after market lense coverings that look white in the day light but are red at night when lighted. They are illegal because they inhibit the minimum light emission standards.

But, de looks cool and pimps the ride sweet!
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenheit View Post
              Pimpiest... stop... ever.
              I'm certainly not against finding creative reasons to stop a car that seems suspicious, but if you're stopping Joe Citizen for this, take some stock of how and why you do your job.
              I'd have to double-check, but I'm pretty sure that the white light is OK in Illinois, although we do have a nice catch-all section that basically prohibits any lighting not specifically allowed.
              White lights to the rear are not legal in IL. The only legal lights to the rear are red and amber colored turn signals except for the license plate light which has to be white.
              I've never seen a factory Lexus with white lights on the rear. I've seen clear lense covers on the rear but the lights under the cover are either the red or amber. Some LED lights look white when they're off but will be either red or amber when lit.
              183 FBINA

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
                White lights to the rear are not legal in IL. The only legal lights to the rear are red and amber colored turn signals except for the license plate light which has to be white.
                I've never seen a factory Lexus with white lights on the rear. I've seen clear lense covers on the rear but the lights under the cover are either the red or amber. Some LED lights look white when they're off but will be either red or amber when lit.
                The lights the OP are talking about are LED license plate lights which are BRIGHT white like xenon headlights instead of the normal yellow-white of an incandescent bulb.
                "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Comment

The lights the OP are talking about are LED license plate lights which are BRIGHT white like xenon headlights instead of the normal yellow-white of an incandescent bulb.
                  As long as it's the license plate light then there's nothing in IL law which prevents it.
                  I've heard some IL LEOs try to claim that the clear, unlit LED taillights are a violation of IL law even tho when lit they are red. I've also heard some try to claim the LED lights are illegal because they don't "blink" but "flash". Some guys try to over reach way too much and lack any type of common sense.
                  Last edited by ISPCAPT; 11-24-2009, 09:23 AM.
                  183 FBINA

Comment

License plate lamps in CA are required; however, they cannot be too bright or emit a light the is blinding or distorting to other drivers.

License Plate Lamp

24601. Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. When the rear license plate is illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times.

Amended Ch. 1313, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

Lighting Equipment Requirements

24252. (a) All lighting equipment of a required type installed on a vehicle shall at all times be maintained in good working order. Lamps shall be equipped with bulbs of the correct voltage rating corresponding to the nominal voltage at the lamp socket.

(b) The voltage at any tail, stop, license plate, side marker or clearance lamp socket on a vehicle shall not be less than 85 percent of the design voltage of the bulb. Voltage tests shall be conducted with the engine operating.

(c) Two or more lamp or reflector functions may be combined, provided each function subject to requirements established by the department meets such requirements.

(1) No turn signal lamp may be combined optically with a stoplamp unless the stoplamp is extinguished when the turn signal is flashing.

(2) No clearance lamp may be combined optically with any taillamp or identification lamp.

Amended Ch. 723, Stats. 1979. Effective January 1, 1980
                    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

[http://forums.officer.com/forums/for...hp?f=23justify
                      Last edited by Nobody; 12-28-2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Ive checked all 5 of my 2010 Lexus' POVs and they all appear to be in accordance with the law
                        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                          - but I think the owner can be allowed a pass here - no reason they should not expect a brand new, major manufacturer's vehicle to be built legally......
                          they'll sell cars with blacked out windows too though

Comment

I've sen a few, looks like they pull the amber bulb and replace it with a white LED bulb so it 'winks' rather than flashes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                              based on the law you cited, the only requirements are that it be visible from at least 50' away, and that the voltage reaching the socket is at least 85% of what the bulb is rated for - so you can pretty much use whatever you want to illuminate the plate (as long as it is pointed at the plate)

citing a driver for OEM installed items (not dealer installed) is weak... take issue with the OEM, or state vehicle inspections if you need to - - but I think the owner can be allowed a pass here - no reason they should not expect a brand new, major manufacturer's vehicle to be built legally......
                              Not quite. A person has the responsibility to ensure that what they are buying is legal. Just because a manufacturer has installed a feature, such as rear facing white lights, dark tinted windows, loud mufflers, doesn't mean that they're not still against the law. A vehicle buyer still needs to ensure that their vehicle meets applicable state and local laws.
                              Originally posted by K40
                              To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                              ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2452 users online. 156 members and 2296 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X