Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do...

Hello again!

Just a quick question. If you were on your first-second day of the job, and your FTO did something that he wasn't suppose to - made a stop he wasn't suppose to, or didn't follow proper protocol for something, what would you do? Being the new guy, you obviously wouldn't just run and rat him out, but if a Sgt. were to get ahold of something, and this Officer had issues with getting in trouble many times at the department, would you be truthful to the Sgt., or would you try to cover-up for the fellow Officer?

I recently encountered this last week, and I had to come clean (isn't that what Law Enforcement is about), but I feel really bad that this might be his strike #3. I had to write a statement about what happened, and unfortunately, his dad works for the same PD, and has been there for like 18 years. So, I'm not sure how to approach this. Again, I didn't want to be "the guy" that ratted him out, but when the Sgt., on the shift before got wind of it and quesitoned me, I couldn't lie about it. Anyway, have any of you ever had a situation like this? Most of my shift knows that I'm the one that wrote the statement, but I still feel bad that I had to write something on my training Officer.

Any thoughts...

"Thin Blue Line" only goes so far. If it was a "minor" policy violation I'd take it up with him. Something major like violation of rights/bad searches/etc. go to a supervisor. Your FTO is not paying your bills and if it's discovered later that you knew this was happening and failed to act-it's your butt too.

Just my opinion....
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by edg103 View Post
      "Thin Blue Line" only goes so far. If it was a "minor" policy violation I'd take it up with him. Something major like violation of rights/bad searches/etc. go to a supervisor. Your FTO is not paying your bills and if it's discovered later that you knew this was happening and failed to act-it's your butt too.

Just my opinion....
      Ok, that's EXACTLY how I felt, but I still felt bad being the new guy, but like you said, you have to cover your own *** too!

Comment

You don't lie to cover someone else's ***. If you are asked a question, you tell the truth, because now it is YOUR reputation (and career) on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          You don't lie to cover someone else's ***. If you are asked a question, you tell the truth, because now it is YOUR reputation (and career) on the line.
          I whole heartedly agree, but it was still hard being that this occured on day 2.

Comment

Someone with a history of disciplinary problems should not be a field training officer. The recruits don't need to learn the wrong way to do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
              Someone with a history of disciplinary problems should not be a field training officer. The recruits don't need to learn the wrong way to do things.
              I couldn't agree more, however, my Sgt. is the laziest person in the world. We only have 3-4 Officer's on at night (3rd shift). Right now we're short, so it's only 2 Officer's including the Sgt. and me. Anyway, the one Officer has only been on the job for about 4 months, and the other (lazy guy) for a year. Furthermore, the Sgt. has only been on the job for 5 months (brought him in from outside the dept.). He's the one who is suppose to be training me, but he likes to delegate all of his responsibilities off onto everyone else. He spends most of his time in dispatch dozing off. So, it's kind of a crappy situation, but it's a foot in the door, and I'm hoping to move onto a bigger and better department. This is a temporary thing until the economy turns around, and or I get a call from other PD's that I'm testing with.

Comment

Personal integrity is a long established requirement for candidates who wish to become a LEO. That integrity must remain steadfast and solid in your commitment to your oath of office. To lie, fabricate or intentionally deceive is a violation of all that you, as an individual, have placed in the trust of your community, your agency, your fellow officers and your family.

During an investigation of wrong doing you do not know what the investigators know. Their questions may be formulated to see how much you know and how far you are willing to go to protect another. When it comes down to violating the law, placing yourself in harms way, creating a position of distrust, err on the side of truth, fact and do not step over the line.

Good luck!
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

When I was on FTO I got pulled into an investigation because of something I witnesses and my sergeant got demoted out of the deal. It happens. He never held a grudge and knew that he got demoted because of what he did.

Comment

The integrity aspect of the question has been well replied to. My personal addition to the discussion has to do with the "FTO" in question. FTO training by an FTO who is not certified, amounts to no FTO training at all. The stated laziness, and inattention to duty, only exacerbate an already bad situation.

Comment

What was the stop that the FTO made that he shouldn't have?
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

NEVER go out of your way to tell on an officer. If he beats down someone because of their race, makes a cute girl flash him or else he will write her a ticket etc then definately do it.

but if its a matter of "he took 5 minutes extra on his break" or he "stopped at home without marking himself there to grab something"

then keep ur mouth shut.

good luck on the new job!
                        sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                        Rocky Balboa
                        Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

what did he do?
                          wow..5 months and a Sgt??? Transfer or not...you gotta work your way up around here
                          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

If you ever want to reach retirement, always do what is right.
                            As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

How about this: I was the FTO and did something outrageously stupid...we all have bad days. Not malicious, only slightly illegal (would constitute a violation, not a crime), but definitely wrong for a uniformed individual in a marked vehicle. I would not bring this up if it was taking a few extra minutes on break, swinging by the house, etc. and would not expect another officer to report same.

I told the rookie "not only will you report this to the Chief, but I want to see your report in to him before I get mine in to him." This set the precedent that, as noted above, one doesn't 'tell' on minor stuff but when another officer no matter how senior does something incredibly wrong one has a duty to report same. Also, that I would in the same case take responsibility for my actions and do the right thing, too. As it was, I called the Chief to let him know he could be expecting the rookie's report, and as FTO I wanted feedback on the quality of that report.

I cannot think of anything worse than me doing something insanely stupid, and the Chief finds out about it from someone else other than me. By the same token, this set the standard for the rookie who is now my employee that if he does something dumb at work I expect him to be able to frankly discuss it and let me know a.s.a.p.

Integrity cannot be bought, it has to be earned every day.
                              The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4146 users online. 242 members and 3904 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X