Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning the territory!

Hello!

I recently got hired on with a PD, and I'm having a hard time remembering all of the territory that I've been shown. I've gone on my days off and explored myself, but unfortunately my training Officer is pretty lazy and doesn't do more than he has to to explain/show me anything. So, I was just wondering what the best way to learn the lay of the land is.

Also, I've only done 1 week there, and so far I'm pretty comfortable with part of the area, but the one area, including the huge college building (campus police) is kind of confusing me a bit.

Lastly, how do all of you LEO's feel about campus police - fully sworn, police officer's? From what I've heard, a lot of the municipal and state LEO's think that we don't do "real police work." Anyway, I was just curious how campus police are viewed by you LEO's.

Thanks!

Make a small laminate "cheat" map.

As far as the "campus cops" your LE license says the same thing mine does. Who cares where you work....better than being unemployed.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by JLH81 View Post
      Lastly, how do all of you LEO's feel about campus police - fully sworn, police officer's? From what I've heard, a lot of the municipal and state LEO's think that we don't do "real police work." Anyway, I was just curious how campus police are viewed by you LEO's.
      Thanks!

From your post I assume you work for a Campus Police Dept??? Correct me if Im wrong.

Second, they are the exact same as city, county, state cops in my book. Their cars say police, the have a badge, gun, handcuffs, and will take you to jail if needed. They will cite you when needed.

Just because who you work for them doesnt make you anymore less of a COP, Every LE jobs will handle different calls and what not.

I have a friend that works for a Sheriff dept, the road deputies dont carry ticket books in their patrol cars, and they dont do traffic, basically all they do is answer calls and serve warrants. Does that make them anyless of a cop? The answer is "NO"

Hope that rant helped you.

Comment

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
        From your post I assume you work for a Campus Police Dept??? Correct me if Im wrong.

Second, they are the exact same as city, county, state cops in my book. Their cars say police, the have a badge, gun, handcuffs, and will take you to jail if needed. They will cite you when needed.

Just because who you work for them doesnt make you anymore less of a COP, Every LE jobs will handle different calls and what not.

I have a friend that works for a Sheriff dept, the road deputies dont carry ticket books in their patrol cars, and they dont do traffic, basically all they do is answer calls and serve warrants. Does that make them anyless of a cop? The answer is "NO"

Sounds good

Comment

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
          It was a good rant. Couldn't agree more.

One way to learn the lay of the land, other than by continued circulation/familiarity, is to get a blank map of your city, county, beat, campus, etc. One without the street names on it. Test yourself. Start with the major roadways and work your way through penciling them in.

A little self imposed cartography can go a long way.
          sigpic
          Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
          And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

ride around and say the names out loud as you go, when your're turning dictate that your're turning on ABC road from DEF St. etc.
            you might be surprised how quickly it registers...
            It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
            Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by oneoldcop View Post
              ride around and say the names out loud as you go, when your're turning dictate that your're turning on ABC road from DEF St. etc.
              you might be surprised how quickly it registers...

Good Info...

Buddy your gonna do fine, I came from side of the state policing to the other side and never been to the area i work in, so i feel yah on learning where things are.

Here is my tip to you, if you have a GPS put it in the patrol car, it will help you learn where your at, I have several counties that I drive through on a daily basis and couldnt tell where im at sometime but if i have to stop someone I can look down and see where im at and such.

Good Luck

Comment

Flashcards worked for me...hundred block on one side, street name on the other
                "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

When I went through my ride time with the Chief, he would randomly pick an address and I'd have to travel to that location. Kinda like a mock dispatch call. That helped out with the street names. Also most towns have a pattern like the obvious 1st, 2nd, 3rd Street ect, names of States, and some label their street after types of trees or link to the geographic site. I have a Bench St. which travels along the bench of a hill side, Valley St. that travels along the bluff valley, Front St. which runs along the river, Diagonal St. which is obviously the only diagonal traveled road.
                  Last edited by ice_tre; 11-10-2009, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Hey man, I appreciate what campus cops do. They go to a bunch of calls that I don't want to go to. I hate breaking up fraternity parties and the like. Also, you've gotta deal with all the BS from college kids all the time, I don't.

As for learning the territory, it'll come, don't fret it. You've only been on a week, after my first week I was still waiting intently for a serious call so I could use my lights and siren (ok, i still do that...). Once you've been dispatched to, or responded to assist in, a number of calls, you'll start to catch on to the geography of the area.
                    Originally posted by K40
                    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                      As for learning the territory, it'll come, don't fret it. You've only been on a week, after my first week I was still waiting intently for a serious call so I could use my lights and siren (ok, i still do that...).
                      x2.

How'd you memorize the layout of your home town? You just got familar with it over time. Same'll happen for where you work. Pretty soon you'll be able to close your eyes and "see" the entire layout of intersections, which businesses are there, and if you've got a "problem child" location you'll probably remember the street numbers for that one.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Do you want your FTO to hold your hand and show you every little thing, or are you going to take some responsibility for your own progress and explore? Push yourself outside your comfort zone. Part of training is that you are evaluated on how much of the initiative you take. Do you just do what the FTO tells you to do and wait for him to tell you every detail about everything, or are you willing to step out, take the lead and learn through doing?

This isn't the first post on here from a rookie complaining about his FTO. Get it through your heads, boots, you don't know more than the FTO. There is a method to our madness, and it's all oriented toward getting you out on your own. That is best started from Day 1 - get the trainee doing as much as possible without assistance, get the trainee to self-evaluate and let them expand their natural curiosity and desire to always be in the front. (And if you aren't pretty Type-A and don't want to be in the front and out of your comfort zone, it might be time to re-evaluate your career choice.)
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4448 users online. 297 members and 4151 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X