Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(California) Advice on my car situation?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (California) Advice on my car situation?

Hello,

My name is Joey. I am a Pro Am Drift driver and recently I was forced to sell my truck and trailer for financial reasons.

As of right now, I am a full time student and drift for recreation and as a side job for my sponsors.

To jump into my question, the only way for me to drive to the track (willowsprings/adams/etc) is to unfortunately drive my track race car.

(I don't street race or do any of that stupid front wheel drive honda crap)

I used to drive it on the street a year and a half ago and once I jumped to pro am, I got a trailer. I know its illegal, but my car is my life basically.

Its the only way at the moment to get a solid budget so I can pay my bills with my schedule.

Basically, I own a nissan 240sx s14. It has a sr20det turbo engine in it, full roll cage, bucket seats, harnesses, gauges everywhere blah blah etc.

My exhaust makes close to no noise (I can't stand a loud exhaust after driving with one for years) I don't drive like an idiot. When I did drive this car I was in the slow lane at 65-70 the whole time, seriously.

My car does pass smog, and has all working lights,blinkers, etc.

Basically, I want to know what your opinion is on me having to drive it on the street/highway.

The only times I will have to drive it, is when I am going to the track and back.

I have friends who have driven their track cars for years with no problems with law enforcement but I also have other friends who have gotten reffed for their engines.

I have a race in about a month and I am contemplating about driving there or not.

Any words of advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and making out communities safer.

Cliffnotes:

Guy sells trailer
    forced to drive track car in public
    ask Leo's for advice on the subject
    Last edited by Sl.n; 11-09-2009, 03:45 AM.

Sell your car, go get an old nova, drop a big block in it and learn to go fast like a man.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

As long as your vehicle is properly registered, licensed, insured and street legal you should have no problems. If the vehicle does not conform, you risk losing it when the nice officer impounds it! That would pretty much eliminate any issues you may have.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Yup, get it registered and insured, out the racing tires in where the back seat would be and throw on a set of street tires/rims for the trip to and from. Other racers should help you out with a floor jack to swap out your tires. Just remember a THICK chain and lock for your street tires....I went racing my street car (2003 Mustang Mach 1) at Irwindale Raceway, and someone cut my cheap padlock and stole my street tires and rims.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Smurfette
        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
        Originally posted by DAL
        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

My car will be insured and all my registration etc. will be up to date. I don't have a criminal past or any warrants.

I am extremely respectable when I do get pulled over.

The only problem basically is that I have a engine that doesn't belong in my car.

It was imported from japan, I run a big front mount intercooler but it was painted black flat black. I have around 50% tint all around but the cage is still visible. My car is low but its very driveable, I can fit a 3/4s of a gatorade bottle under it.

Ive been to other states for competition and the other drivers can drive their cars anywhere but california laws are alot stricter when it comes to car modifications.

I do run 02 sensors/high flow cat and all of that good stuff.

I have only my sponsors stickers, my name on my side windshield and a number stick on my doors.

My car doesn't look " suspicious " compared to a limo tinted honda with chrome rimes and alot of guys in it but it definitely stands out.

My body looks relatively stock minus the widebody, huge rims, and minor modifications.

No I don't have a huge wing or any wings.

I've owned this car for a little over 3 years and this was my first car I ever bought. I learned how to drive with this car, I learned how to work on cars with this car (had to or I would of had to walk to school) and this car is literally everything I have.

Is there any way I can maybe establish that I'm not a " street racer " or any of things I can say or do to maybe prevent myself from getting hood popped and reffed.

Ive had over 10 friends get reffed for having this engine, and a couple more friends who have gotten their cars impounded (but they didn't have insurance and or were doing donuts in parking lots etc so they sort of asked for it)
          Last edited by Sl.n; 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM.

Comment

http://www.nothingbundtcakes.com/
            Last edited by Nobody; 12-01-2009, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sl.n View Post
              My car will be insured and all my registration etc. will be up to date. I don't have a criminal past or any warrants.

I am extremely respectable when I do get pulled over. Yes, but are you respectful?

The only problem basically is that I have a engine that doesn't belong in my car. If the engine is modified and special built it must have a full smog inspection. If not, you are running unlawfully.

It was imported from japan, I run a big front mount intercooler but it was painted black flat black. I have around 50% tint all around but the cage is still visible. My car is low but its very driveable, I can fit a 3/4s of a gatorade bottle under it. As long as your front windshield, driver's door window and right front passenger door window are not tinted, you are good to go. You may need a right hand, side view mirror. Additionally, no portion of the vehicle or attachments are permitted to extend below the lowest portion of any wheel.

Ive been to other states for competition and the other drivers can drive their cars anywhere but california laws are alot stricter when it comes to car modifications. True! We march to a different drummer and expect you to stay in step!

I do run 02 sensors/high flow cat and all of that good stuff. Not sufficient if the engine is not properly equipped with an approved "Smog Device"

I have only my sponsors stickers, my name on my side windshield and a number stick on my doors. No stickers permitted anywhere on the "Windshield" except for the lower right hand corner.

My car doesn't look " suspicious " compared to a limo tinted honda with chrome rimes and alot of guys in it but it definitely stands out. It certainly does if you have sponsor stickers, numbers, etc. plastered all over the vehicle.

My body looks relatively stock minus the widebody, huge rims, and minor modifications.

No I don't have a huge wing or any wings.

I've owned this car for a little over 3 years and this was my first car I ever bought. I learned how to drive with this car, I learned how to work on cars with this car (had to or I would of had to walk to school) and this car is literally everything I have.

Is there any way I can maybe establish that I'm not a " street racer " or any of things I can say or do to maybe prevent myself from getting hood popped and reffed. Yes, take all of the stickers off of the car, remove the souped up engine cowlings, put stock rims on the vehicle and bee cool!

Ive had over 10 friends get reffed for having this engine, and a couple more friends who have gotten their cars impounded (but they didn't have insurance and or were doing donuts in parking lots etc so they sort of asked for it)
              Your operation of the vehicle as a "street racer" in appearance, is totally on you. "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck!"
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqoekHzoKd0

basically, that with a different paint job/tint/silent exhaust and huge roll cage.

Thanks for the response SgtCHP!

also

Ive never understood why a muscle car can have a fully blown engine that pours out crazy emissions and has an exhaust comparable to a motorcycle while a car like mine gets targeted because its doesn't pass the VISUAL part of the smog test since the engine is from a japanese version of the same car.

Its like putting another bigger ford engine into a ford that doesn't come stock with it.
                Last edited by Sl.n; 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5872 users online. 346 members and 5526 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X