Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinion is important here (Dash Cam Video)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awww, I missed the show!
    summer - winter - work

Comment

Radar- try a writing class!

Radar,

If you make any money from your B.S. video, take a writing class!
      Fed
      Upstate New York

Comment

Sounds like to me the officer even tried to get ahold of your daddy to verify your story..I would say thats above and beyond.
        I'll be watching for your multi million dollar lawsuit out of Dallas
        toolbox
        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Stick a fork in this thread (and bull's eye...err, radar)...it's dead lol!

I am soooo mad at myself for missing the crash and burn as it happened.
          Those who stand for nothing often fall for anything.

Comment

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I thought perhaps some of you would want to see at least what the media calls the rest of the story.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Posse...-70591582.html

Comment

He lost $6,200 in expenses related to the arrest and hiring an attorney, he said.
              I imagine a civil suit will cost him more with the same results.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

High five for the chief stepping up for the officers and explaining to the public their actions.

Thats a good chief right there!!

Comment

Originally posted by damode1985 View Post
                  High five for the chief stepping up for the officers and explaining to the public their actions.

Thats a good chief right there!!
                  +1

I would not say the Officers were out of line, they were being proactive and doing their jobs. However if everything checks out ok and the person I'm dealing with is cooperative I'm not going to arrest them on a petty arse charge, thats just me though.

Comment

Couldn't resist:

CRYBABY

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito007 View Post
                      +1

I would not say the Officers were out of line, they were being proactive and doing their jobs. However if everything checks out ok and the person I'm dealing with is cooperative I'm not going to arrest them on a petty arse charge, thats just me though.
                      your correct, keep in mind your from the 305 and this case is in Texas i believe, different states handle same situations differently.

It may seem petty to us but a felony is a felony.

i understand discretion but i wouldn't agree letting a felony go no matter how "petty" it is.

Comment

Sorry, but I can't side with the officers in this case. They were wrong. End of story.

Under_the_radar might be a troll, and he might even be a wannabe with all of that stuff in his vehicle, but the arrest was not legit. Plain and simple. The traffic stop was good. I would've stopped him too. And everything about the stop was suspicious. I would've questioned him and called for another officer too. But they ended an otherwise good stop and good investigation by arresting him for possessing an absolutely 100% completely legal substance in a completely legal container. Anyone can buy it and anyone can carry it. It seems they just wanted a reason to hook him up because everything they did lead to a dead end. Sometimes good people do things that appear suspicious. And sometimes bad people defeat us at their "game" on the side of the road. It's how it works. But when things aren't going our way we are not free to simply charge someone randomly for no reason other than we don't want to lose.

If I had done that as an officer and had that little knowledge of the Penal Code, I would've been suspended if I was lucky. If I did that now as a patrol sergeant or stood by while another officer did it, I would be suspended for the few days it took them to get a disciplinary panel together to fire me. We don't take this kind of thing lightly.

That officer was an idiot when it came to the Penal Code and the practical application of it, and the sergeant was worse. What kind of sergeant stands by and lets an officer tell him what is and what isn't legal and then doesn't even take the time to confirm it or at least call a higher ranking supervisor?

Arrest like this **** me off. It makes us all look bad. It's ignorant officers like this that I'm worried my wife will run across some day carrying her legal concealed handgun. I bought her a new knife a few years ago and told her to stop carrying a Kershaw assisted opening knife, even though they are 100% legal, after I personally saw an officer try to arrest someone for carrying one. And I know of more than a few arrest where officers did arrest someone for carrying a Kershaw. They didn't know the law and made their own interpretation of it.

It's crap like this that leads to us being sued. And in this case, deservedly so.

Originally posted by SleepyCop View Post
                        Okay? The officers in your video were professional, and knowledgeable. What is the problem?

-SC
                        They were professional, but hardly "knowledgeable" since they didn't know that "police grade" pepper spray is not defined under law as being illegal and has little to no difference in it's composition compared to "regular" pepper spray. It's no different than "law enforcement only" handgun ammunition that is available in the exact same configuration, but in a different box, in any sporting goods store. If it isn't armor piercing in it's design, it's legal, "law enforcement only" or not.

Originally posted by SleepyCop View Post
                        Notice that the above mentions that a "small" chemical dispenser. "Small" refers to key chain sized amounts, not "police grade pepper spray", which was mentioned by the officers in your video multiple times.

Sorry, but it was a good stop and arrest.

-SC
                        There was nothing good about this arrest. A good stop, but a very bad arrest.

"Small" is not defined anywhere.

But "small" versus "large" or "personal size" that isn't the issue. It is well established in case law that "chemical dispensing device" does not refer to pepper spray, as pepper spray is not a "chemical". People are free to run around with the big cans of bear spray if they want and pretend to be Dog the Bounty Hunter, as long as they don't use it to assault someone.

I can cut you some slack if you aren't from Texas or don't work in Texas because you wouldn't be familiar with our laws. But if "South" does refer to Texas, please do some more research before you try to enforce this law.
                        Last edited by SOI; 11-23-2009, 04:13 PM.

Comment

You're an officer and you actually took an edited video and made a decision about what was and wasn't right to do? Seriously? You couldn't tell that was edited?
                          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by SOI View Post
                            But they ended an otherwise good stop and good investigation by arresting him for possessing an absolutely 100% completely legal substance in a completely legal container. Anyone can buy it and anyone can carry it. It seems they just wanted a reason to hook him up because everything they did lead to a dead end.
                            No, he clearly states the arrest was based on a if-y charge at best, it has little to do with the video really. Is it right to arrest someone on a felony charge when the statue is ambiguous at best? I agree with SOI.

Comment

Well, congrats. I'm sure from your place you have all the facts of the case. I never did get that crystal ball issued to me when I became an Officer. *I* am not willing to participate in bashing a cop and calling into question their stop from the point of view of the accused.
                              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                                You're an officer and you actually took an edited video and made a decision about what was and wasn't right to do? Seriously? You couldn't tell that was edited?
                                Of course not. I watched the video but I already knew the details of the case. This case is making the news down here. I am in Texas after all so I've heard about this from a few different sources, including numerous media outlets and other law enforcement officers in the area.

I came to my conclusions based on the FACTS of the case, including the details the arrested officer put in the publicly released arrest report and the statements made to the media by the chief.

At first he was supposedly arrested because "law enforcement grade" pepper spray wasn't legal to own for anyone but law enforcement. Then when they realized that didn't fly, they tried to say he was arrested for the size of the container of spray that he carried and tried to say that anything bigger than keychain size wasn't "small" and tried to claim that since the word "small" is mentioned in the Penal Code, that anything they didn't deem to be small, was illegal. Which also doesn't fly.

No matter how they spin it, or how the try to justify it, they made a bad arrest. They can try to defend it, but it is indefensible. They arrested a man for a FELONY for something that is 100% legal to own and carry.

I saw some people saying how it was cool that the chief was standing up for his guys. I always love to see a chief do that when it's appropriate. But this guy is just trying to save a sinking ship. He would have been a lot better off just issuing a public apology, saying that the officers made a mistake and will receive more training in this matter, and moving on and hoping the guy either doesn't sue, or settles for a reasonable amount. The more they try to justify this the worse it's going to be for them if they get sued.

This issue is already being added to the training curriculum around here just to make sure some of our new guys don't do something this stupid and have a basic grasp of the Penal Code.

And as much as I complain about our DA, I can't believe the Collin County DA didn't shoot this down at light speed. It makes me feel a little bit better about the fact that our DA has no clue what constitutes a DWI in our state.

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                                *I* am not willing to participate in bashing a cop and calling into question their stop from the point of view of the accused.
                                That's good. And you shouldn't. However when a department is craw-fishing and backpedaling like this one is, and it's a simple cut and dry case of arresting someone for not breaking a law, I have no problem calling into question the arrest. As I said, the stop was justified, and so was the roadside investigation. But they crossed the line when they placed a man under arrest for doing absolutely nothing illegal.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3431 users online. 205 members and 3226 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X