300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign driver's licenses in the US

If you pull over somebody from Germany or France for example, how do you guys make sure that person's license is valid and everything is good to go? Lets say he or she just moved here like a week ago and didn't go to the DMV yet.

On the flip side, US expats appear to have it easy trying to get a German license, but I wonder how the polizei can look things up for the US driver in Germany.

"The lucky American expats are those who come from one of the 26 US states (plus Puerto Rico) that have full reciprocity with Germany. They can walk into their local Führerscheinstelle with their US driver’s license and a few other documents and get a German license without any tests at all. But there is another group of Americans almost as fortunate: those who come from the 10 states (and D.C.) with partial reciprocity. They will only have to take the written test for a German license. (Note: The German written test is far more difficult than the typical US written test.) All the Canadian provinces and territories have full-exchange agreements with Germany. (See the full list below.)" - http://www.german-way.com/germany-dr...ciprocity.html
    Last edited by MD11pilot; 11-05-2009, 10:18 PM. Reason: grammer error
    Life is what you make of it

I don't really care, I write them their ticket and have them on there way. It's called good faith. Of course they could always be in this country illegally, but that's another can of worms.

Comment

If they are a tourist, they can get an internationl driving permit.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

There is a document issued by their home country that translates the class of motor vehicle they are allowed to drive. It looks similar to a passport and is stamped by the home country. They are allowed to drive the same class motor vehicle here as they are in their home country (I belive commercial vehicles do not apply). They are to show this booklet along with their home country drivers license. Don't allow them to show you this booklet and tell you its an international drivers license. The booklet only translates what they can drive....it doesnt act as a license.

The above is assuming they are here legally...perhaps visiting here on vacation or business. Most of the people I come across are here illegally and get hooked for driving w/o a license.

Comment

I always ask for their passport so I know how long they have been in the States...that way I can properly hit them off with unlicensed driver if they are beyond the time limits.
          We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

http://www.nothingbundtcakes.com/
            Last edited by Nobody; 12-01-2009, 12:01 PM.

Comment

most of the time these "foreign DLs" are BS and bought off the internet. They mean absolutely nothing to me unless its an international drivers permit (looks like a little white book). If they hand you a BS international license, run them and odds are they will come back as either a no hit, or suspended.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanx for the info guys. I never thought that transferring licenses was this easy, especially considering that German written/practical tests make the US ones look like a total joke. If one can get a German license, they should have no problem in the US getting one if they know English well. I'm glad my state has full transfer rights so I won't even need to take the written exam if I choose to fly for Lufthansa And the autobahn is a nice selling pitch too lol.
                Life is what you make of it

Comment

I've never had a problem with a citizen of places like England, Germany, Italy giving me their license, passport and an international driving document. I've never run one of those and had them come back suspended or never licensed.

Seems that most of the ones I get from Honduras, Mexico, El Salvador, etc are bogus and the holders are typically suspended, revoked or wanted.
                  Originally posted by K40
                  To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                  ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Indiana requires you to have your passport with a temporary visa of some sort (ie: tourist) to drive on a foreign driver's license. If you don't have a passport in your possession I'll summons you for operating motor vehicle without having received a valid license, but it will be dropped if you show up with your passport.

If you are here on a permanent visa or are a resident/citizen than you must get a US driver's license. I cannot drive on my Qatari license and my wife cannot drive on her Jordanian license as we are both citizens.

International Driver's Permits are nothing but translations of your existing driver's license into other languages and conveys no right to drive by itself.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

If they have a license from country X, they should have a passport from country X. You could arrest the driver or cite him for unlicensed and make him go to court, but I would not count on his showing up. In some states, you may be able to make the driver post bail.
                      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6126 users online. 330 members and 5796 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X