300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student with questions about employment

As the title states, I am currently in college majoring in CJ and minoring in Psychology and Sociology. I am starting to think about employment and such.

question #1: Even when I graduate with a CJC degree, I will still need to go to a Police Academy (before/after) I am "unofficially hired" by the department?

question #2: A couple years ago, I was involved in a hit-n-run (automobile) accident, but eventually came clean to the authorities (it actually got me interested in the field because of how the officers handled the situation). I am no longer on probation and it was wiped off my record. I have heard about the lie-detector test in the hiring process. I am pretty sure it is a misdemeanor and like I said it was taken off my record. Will this effect the hiring process and how should I approach the lie-detector test? I hear they ask "have you ever committed a felony?" and i would say no, but I would be thinking about that incident and it might go off.

I am a very good student in college and good kid overall. I am in top physical condition. I am just worried that incident might come back to haunt me and it was just a dumb mistake out of fear on my part.

Are you Defender77?

Comment

no, I do not even know who that is. I just posted like anyone would when they have questions.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcstudent View Post
        As the title states, I am currently in college majoring in CJ and minoring in Psychology and Sociology. I am starting to think about employment and such.

question #1: Even when I graduate with a CJC degree, I will still need to go to a Police Academy (before/after) I am "unofficially hired" by the department?
        Yes you will still need your state level LE certification. Unless the school you go to has some kind of program that joins the state certification with your education. (Usually an A/S degree). Don't stress it though the degree just makes you a more desirable candidate.

question #2: A couple years ago, I was involved in a hit-n-run (automobile) accident, but eventually came clean to the authorities (it actually got me interested in the field because of how the officers handled the situation). I am no longer on probation and it was wiped off my record. I have heard about the lie-detector test in the hiring process. I am pretty sure it is a misdemeanor and like I said it was taken off my record. Will this effect the hiring process and how should I approach the lie-detector test? I hear they ask "have you ever committed a felony?" and i would say no, but I would be thinking about that incident and it might go off.
        Just tell the truth, lying and then getting caught in the lie will pretty much end your career in LE. Agencies talk to each other and once one finds out you have been denied for lying they won't even consider you.

The record still exists so that LE can see it. Nothing is ever erased so that 1. LE knows who they are dealing with. 2. Previous crimes need to be taken into account if you do something else. They are only removed for really employment with the exception of LE.

There is no "setting off" a lie detector. It's not like some kind of device that makes a buzz when you don't tell the truth. It's a combination of several physical factors that your body creates under certain stress of questioning. I've been assured by the state law enforcement lie detector operators (who are police officers) that they are 99% accurate or at least more accurate than the Minnesota multiphasic personality inventory which is around 50%.

I am a very good student in college and good kid overall. I am in top physical condition. I am just worried that incident might come back to haunt me and it was just a dumb mistake out of fear on my part.
        That's good. Keep your grades up and don't become a couch potato. Some places might let some people that are out of shape in but most will give you a fitness test as part of the hiring process.
        Last edited by wirefire2; 11-05-2009, 10:15 PM.

Comment

The answer to your first statement (it is not written as a question) is YES! You will have to attend the approved academy for the agency that hires you.

The answer to your second statement (again, no question) has been addressed by a number of forum members in your other post. For those replies, go to:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...52#post2063052
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

still wanna kno if you were drunk when the hit n run occurred
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5496 users online. 313 members and 5183 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X