Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Spanish is required for LE work in the American Southwest?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long until Spanish is required for LE work in the American Southwest?

With illegal and legal immigration trends as well as high fertility rates among Hispanics, will knowledge of the Spanish language go from being an optional pay incentive to a requirement at law enforcement agencies in certain parts of the country? Is it a requirement in any areas now? The reason I ask this is because I'm debating whether or not I should take some Spanish classes, I took Spanish back when I was in high school and could probably pick it up rather easily now.
    Last edited by caseypj; 11-03-2009, 10:52 PM.

A modified Spanish class is mandatory for all cadets attending the California Highway Patrol Academy. It is call "enforcement Spanish" by officers. They learn how to ask specific questions in the language and the replies that will most likely be forthcoming.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Spanish is REQUIRED if you want to be an Agent with the Border Patrol.

Comment

The correct question should be how long until these spanish speaking people that come to live in our country will learn English

Comment

Not anytime soon. Im sure the unions and most of the officers in the southwest would fight it. But at the rate that spanish speaking people are coming to the country...there should atleast be a quick class in commands. If its already given forgive me. I dont know if Spanish really warrants incentives anymore. My girlfriend makes an extra 1.50 an hour at her bank, and its a requirement at my job.

Comment

Never. It is hard to get just a few qualified people out of every 100 applicants. If you add Spanish to the list of requirements that number will go down to below 1 per 100.
            I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

I'd say Spanish still warrants incentives, especially in the South where the Hispanic population is consistently increasing (Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador). I spend many weekends during night shift doing nothing but translating FST's for other officers. Should I get paid more for it? Probably. Do I whine about it? Of course not. I see it as a part of my JOB and as a specific skill I bring to the table for my department.

Comment

It says "1846-48". What it doesn't say is 2048 and that we will LOSE!

sigpic
                Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Do you mean how long ago was it a good idea to start learning?

M-11
                  “All men dream...... But not equally..
                  Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                  but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                  for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

It has been a requirement with my job for decades. You do not have to know how to speak it when you get the job but you must learn it to keep the job in the academy. I do not see it being a requirement with many jobs. Lawsuits will hammer any job that tries to pull that crap. I work on the border and the vast majority of people I arrest are spanish speakers only so it is absolutely needed where I'm at in order to function.

Comment

TCLEOSE just added 'survival spanish' as part of the academy curricula.
                      Originally posted by crass cop
                      Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Never, as others said above, it's already too hard to find qualified applicants. And there would tons of lawsuits. I learned a little in the academy, but have forgotten most of it and just call for a translator now. If no translator is available, tough, I can't do much. If you're here and can't speak English, you just run that risk.

Comment

Last time I looked, I was driving in my beat in a state in the US. This is just another example of the bull **** that we have to put up with. Hell, they won't even make English the official language? WTF is up with that? Pansy *** politicians who can't figure out why this country is spiraling down in flames.

Where TF is Teddy Roosevelt now??
                          Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
                            It says "1846-48". What it doesn't say is 2048 and that we will LOSE!

Unfortunately I agree with you on this, irredentism appears it will be unavoidable.

I appreciate everyone's responses, thanks. Hopefully you guys will still get your pensions if you're policing a state that may one day break away . I didn't take into account the police unions fighting measures such as these in the mean time.
                            Last edited by caseypj; 11-05-2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                              Last time I looked, I was driving in my beat in a state in the US. This is just another example of the bull **** that we have to put up with. Hell, they won't even make English the official language? WTF is up with that? Pansy *** politicians who can't figure out why this country is spiraling down in flames.

Where TF is Teddy Roosevelt now??
                              True, but you better know enough to be able to tell if a couple of ******bags are conspiring to kill you. "Oh no officer, I was telling my friend to listen and be respectful..."
                              "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4548 users online. 312 members and 4236 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X