Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the point of a CJ degree?

Title says it all.

And, am I wasting my time if I choose to get a Certificate of Completion in CJ Studies (30 cr. hrs.) on top of an AS of Business? I hear differently, but it just seems like I should have coursework in the career I'm getting into...

Inregards to the relation of a CJ degree and Law Enforcement... None.

To be cop, a CJ degree does nothing for you. It doesn't hurt having it though... Someday it could come in handy. I say get all the degrees and education you can.

Comment

Short answer, yes, you are wasting your time. You already have an AS. A certificate isn't going to do anything for you. Your next logical step is to put those 30 credits towards getting a BA in business. A lot of cops with degrees don't have CJ degrees, so it is really nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        Short answer, yes, you are wasting your time. You already have an AS. A certificate isn't going to do anything for you. Your next logical step is to put those 30 credits towards getting a BA in business. A lot of cops with degrees don't have CJ degrees, so it is really nothing to worry about.
        I know yours is the right answer, I just loath business coarsework. Yes, I spelled it that way on purpose CJ coursework actually piques my interest for a change.

Comment

Some will answer yes; some will answer no. I will say that a degree, any degree, would be beneficial to you and your career advancement. The main issue is a CJ degree would really not help you if you find that LE is not for you and you apply for a job elsewhere.

Bottom line is to get an education, choose your agency well and make the best career that you can in the time the Creator has allotted to you. Good luck!
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Currrently, my BA in CRJ is an expensive paperweight. However, despite the general consensus, I have had it come in handy one or twice. Thats about it. The extra 8% is tempting, too.

Comment

This seems to be just about our most frequently asked question. A CJ Degree is a degree. Earning it is evidence of hard work and study. The "problem" most of us on the forum have with a CJ Degree, is it's lack of real marketability. In other words, it's probably not as valuable/useful as a Business degree. I know you don't like them, and I'm merely making a point. If a CJ Degree is want you want,,,,great. It's certainly one you can build on as you continue your education.

Comment

Yes and no...However, any degree can benifit you to some extent.
                Religion is flawed, because man is flawed.

Comment

My college also offers a Homeland Security/Emergency management Degree/Program/Certificate... would this have the same limited-marketability as CJ?

Comment

Originally posted by CenTex View Post
                    CJ coursework actually piques my interest for a change.
                    Which is what makes it a good major. Other than giving me a head start on case law, I can't think of a single thing that I learned in the University that I directly apply on the street. That said, if I wanted to do some statistical analysis, troll the open source intel briefs, or apply for grants, I'd have a heads up in that too. If you ever want to be an inside mouse, you may use more of what you learn.

The homeland security/whatever just seems kind of trendy to me, but if its got interesting courses, go for it.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Getting a degree in anything is better than not having a degree.

Comment

Originally posted by CenTex View Post
                        My college also offers a Homeland Security/Emergency management Degree/Program/Certificate... would this have the same limited-marketability as CJ?
                        There will probably be more jobs in that area, but I would say that the answer is no. I suggest that you look at federal job openings in those fields and see what bachelor's degrees they will accept, and get one of those. Pretty much any bachelor's degree will do for a job as a police officer.
                        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

The biggest problem with a CJ degree is it is a specialized degree, so it has limited transferability. It would be like a person with an astrophysics degree applying to be a high level manager at a national business. It really isn't applicable to any job outside of physics. If you like CJ take those courses. If in the mean time you find you like, psychology, sociology, math, or any of the other more generally applicable subjects, change to that major and keep CJ as a minor.

All education is graded on a curve in the job market. Many CJ majors will get a minor in psych, or soc, so if you do the same you will not stand out. If you get your 4 year degree and have a minor in something else it will make you stand out a little bit more. It will also make you stand out to have a major in something other than psych, soc, or business. LE is a job that does not require a degree to do the job, so any degree with pretty much any major is a good degree.
                          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Agree. A CJ degree is about worthless except that with the VSP if you don't have a degree you don't get any points for promotion. It doesn't have to be a CJ degree. Any worthless degree will do. So maybe it's not completely worthless but probably not worth the time and effort to get for a small 10% raise.

Comment

The cert is a good idea to go along with your business education.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2577 users online. 131 members and 2446 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X