300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on future L.E. officer

Hey, my name is Derrick, I'm 18 years old, live in Ohio and am currently attending a community college to obtain my associates degree majoring in criminal justice/ police science. I have a clean record and do not do drugs.

So basically what I'm asking is if i am on the right track, and if not what should i be doing?

I have obviously picked school to further my experience and knowledge in this field. This path has proved sufficient to me but, I have visited and set up (interviews) with multiple branches of the military. They have gone well and all branches of the military would be happy to have me. would a military back round look better then a 2 year degree? should i drop my major and pick something a little more broad? I basically want to know how to obtain a solid resume quickly and sufficiently?

I was also wondering when i should get started in on the academy, and if there are other classes outside of school i should take? And is it possible to set up an orientating at a local agency?

Thanks. any advice is appreciated

Why not stay in school and go reserve? ORRRRR do a tour of duty and have your GI bill? You're young. what do you WANT to do because neither one is bad. The hiring of a competent Officer is a varied affair. Some have military experience and no education. Some have education and no life experience. It is impossible to tell who will be the better Officer...but now days, I can tell you who will promote (LOL). Many agencies won't let you promote beyond X rank w/o a degree. At my agency you can't make Sarge w/o a two year and you can't make higher w/o a four.

What do YOU want to do?
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by derrick09 View Post
      Hey, my name is Derrick, I'm 18 years old, live in Ohio and am currently attending a community college to obtain my associates degree majoring in criminal justice/ police science. I have a clean record and do not do drugs.

So basically what I'm asking is if i am on the right track, and if not what should i be doing?

I have obviously picked school to further my experience and knowledge in this field. This path has proved sufficient to me but, I have visited and set up (interviews) with multiple branches of the military. They have gone well and all branches of the military would be happy to have me. would a military back round look better then a 2 year degree? should i drop my major and pick something a little more broad? I basically want to know how to obtain a solid resume quickly and sufficiently?

I was also wondering when i should get started in on the academy, and if there are other classes outside of school i should take? And is it possible to set up an orientating at a local agency?

Thanks. any advice is appreciated
      Life isn't about building a resume. It's about living, and hopefully doing something you enjoy. If you happen to build a resume along the way, that's a good thing.

When I was 18, I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life. When I finally decided what I wanted to do, I was certain I wanted to work with computers. That is why I got my degrees in Computer Information Systems, and a Bachelors in telecommunications. I then worked in the telecom industry for 3 years when I realized that all I ever wanted was to work in law enforcement.

So while still working in telecommunications, I joined the sheriff's office as a reserve deputy sheriff. I lost my job in telecom due to a layoff, and joined the Kansas DOC full-time. Then one day the Bureau of Prisons calls me and here I am.

I never knew this was where I was headed when I was 18. I never could have even guessed. I thank God every day for not letting me give up.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Do both. I was in the National Guard and went to college, but don't be the guy who signs the dotted line giving your @zz to Uncle Sam, and complain when he calls ya to do what you signed up for.The contract doesn't say "sign here for free education" it says You'll protect and serve your country, and receive benefits for doing so. (Sorry about the short rant, its something I've been coming across lately, Soldiers complaining about deployments, when they know full well, thats what they signed up to do, drives me nuts!)
        Anyway, doing them both will get you some life experience, meet people from all walks of life, and make you more responsible and confident. A win/win IMO.
        Also, just a suggestion. I'd study something other than CJ. If you get hired, you'll learn all you need to know in an academy. I'd make CJ a minor, and go with Business Management or something like that. That could help you in the future if you ever move into the upper ranks of a PD and need to manage things. There isn't a whole lot of things to do with a CJ degree if you were to become injured or for some reason forced off the job.
        Just my .02
        I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, and then questions the manner by which I provide it. I'd rather you just said thank you, and went on your way!

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But I find it somewhat... distasteful. To be given credit for work that's not mine. Especially inferior work.

sigpic

Comment

All are correct. Military is GREAT, ( i thought it was 4 years, though?), AND they will pay your college. ALWAYS have something to fall back on, (different degree or at least a double major or different minor), Youre young so you may find another interest ina year or 2
          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Thanks everyone. I feel allot better with all of this useful information.

I think i will switch my degree. I do not know what to yet. Ill see what my college has to offer

After I'm done with my degree i am thinking about the marines.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6257 users online. 346 members and 5911 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X