Clear All

• LAChief
    replied
    ^^^^Makes perfect sense, thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Smurfette_76
    replied
    Originally posted by LAChief View Post
    Around here a Detective and Investigator are the same except a Detective works for PD and Investigator is SO.

What is the difference in your neck of the woods?

Nothing now as the Chief did away with Investigators. It was set up that Investigators stayed with a team and oversaw anything they needed to, be it helping rookies learn the ropes or taking over on the felonies to free up the road Officers. In the case of a murder, CID would still be called in to handle it and the Investigator would turn everything over to them. Detectives were your M-F 8-5 deal. Chief moved things around, created two Detectives positions with flex hours and did away with the Investigators. Its a shame because a lot of the newer Officers benefited from it AND it took the load off the shift Sarge when he could free up peeps and let an Investigator handle it.

Leave a comment:

• irishlad2nv
    replied
    Originally posted by LAChief View Post
    Around here a Detective and Investigator are the same except a Detective works for PD and Investigator is SO.

What Parish? Most of the ones I know and deal with, Detectives are both the PD and SO.

Leave a comment:

• LAChief
    replied
    Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    I picked up Investigator in under two years. Detective within two years of that.

Leave a comment:

• LAChief
    replied
    My wife has been an Officer with her Department for 10 years. She has been approached with a Detective position several times but each time the plans fell thru and she is still on the road.

You are still in college, have you thought about getting into the forensics part of investigations? This requires no "road experience".

Leave a comment:

• ktsueren
    replied
    Sure. Anytime. Most likely what you saw on television (nothing wrong with that, btw...i wanted to be an archeologist because of Indiana Jones ) and what you see portrayed the most on TV are police (sheriff) detectives, not so much boot Agents with a federal agency. The reason experience is so valued [in this field] is because the job is nearly impossible without it. Yes, I'm sure someone could solve a few cases as a Detective with no experience, but a "Detective" is still an Officer and an Officer is where it all begins. Nothing teaches you how to interview a person than working the road and learning. It's not just asking the right questions [strictly], it's about the mind game, the body language, the psychology, the closeness, understanding human nature...it's about knowing when to physically move in, when to let off, when to be serious, when to just chat. Detective work...interview and interrogation is an artform...and yes, I love it. Why not consider working your way up? The time it takes to make rank/Detective is equivalent to the agency you work with. I had six years experience when I cam to my current agency. I picked up Investigator in under two years. Detective within two years of that.
    dahh! you just described it perfectly!! That is exactly what I want to work up to. I love a challenge and I am ready for anything and everything I have to do. But where to go from college is the next step

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
    Spanish is gold. Major in something you enjoy, not what you think people want to see. Else its just a slog that'll bring down your mood and your grades. Pick something, stick with it. Keep the Spanish.

It sucks and it rocks. Sometimes on the same shift.

There are no typical days.

Depends on your family. My family life is great, mostly because my wife is the sweetest woman on the planet and doesn't realize she could do better.

Worry about getting on first, worry about special assignments later. You need to want to be a cop to be a cop first, then decide where you want to go. It may change from what you originally thought.
    kudos to your wife

and i love math and am very good at it as well. I love how it is the ONLY thing in the world that is perfect... it is just so intriguing. So I'm thinking I might do that. And of course I will keep spanish. I love it. This is my 7th years taking spanish and I have been on missions trips to the DR 6 times and have become quite fluent in the language. So I have something going for me there

thank you for your insight as well!!

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    replied
    Spanish is gold. Major in something you enjoy, not what you think people want to see. Else its just a slog that'll bring down your mood and your grades. Pick something, stick with it. Keep the Spanish.

It sucks and it rocks. Sometimes on the same shift.

There are no typical days.

Depends on your family. My family life is great, mostly because my wife is the sweetest woman on the planet and doesn't realize she could do better.

Worry about getting on first, worry about special assignments later. You need to want to be a cop to be a cop first, then decide where you want to go. It may change from what you originally thought.

Leave a comment:

• Smurfette_76
    replied
    Sure. Anytime. Most likely what you saw on television (nothing wrong with that, btw...i wanted to be an archeologist because of Indiana Jones ) and what you see portrayed the most on TV are police (sheriff) detectives, not so much boot Agents with a federal agency. The reason experience is so valued [in this field] is because the job is nearly impossible without it. Yes, I'm sure someone could solve a few cases as a Detective with no experience, but a "Detective" is still an Officer and an Officer is where it all begins. Nothing teaches you how to interview a person than working the road and learning. It's not just asking the right questions [strictly], it's about the mind game, the body language, the psychology, the closeness, understanding human nature...it's about knowing when to physically move in, when to let off, when to be serious, when to just chat. Detective work...interview and interrogation is an artform...and yes, I love it. Why not consider working your way up? The time it takes to make rank/Detective is equivalent to the agency you work with. I had six years experience when I cam to my current agency. I picked up Investigator in under two years. Detective within two years of that.

Leave a comment:

• ktsueren
    replied
    Let me clarify: You stated you wanted to be a Police Detective, that's not a State or Federal job. With regards to a state or federal job, without road experience, you're just another college graduate (unless you have uber military experience) and nothing to really offer, especially with only a four year degree.

It sounds a bit like you've seen Detectives on television and thought "Oh, I want to do that" which is all well and good, but you don't walk into that. You cannot find it in a book. I would even venture to say most of it cannot be taught to you; its a job you must experience to be any good at it. Therefore, if you want to be a POLICE Detective you are going to have to put your time in and learn something about something before that will EVER happen. If you want to be an AGENT, you better have more than a four year degree (string pulling, multiple languages, etc) to even get your foot in the door. Therefore, if you want to be anything in LE, you're going to have to start at the bottom. You write a bit like a female and while that would help a bit on the minority end of it, you're up against fierce competition from women that got their hands dirty to get where they are.
    Ahh I see. Alright well I guess I'm not sure which road I want to take at this point, but I have had a passion for detective/investigation work for a good 4 or 5 years. Of course it started out by seeing detectives on television and wanting to do what they do, but I understand there's a lot more to it than what the wonderful tv portrays. And I know I can work my A** off to get to where I need to be because I am finally happy with making the decision to go after what I truly want to do in my life. Now it's just the matter of deciding whether to aim for being an agent or a police detective... and I think so far being an actual agent has appealed to me the most.

I am in contact with one of our local police officers who was previously a detective and I am supposed to have a meeting with him some time this week because I asked him to discuss his job, how he got there and etc with me. So maybe once I speak to him I will have a better understanding on what it is all about.

Thank you for all your advice!!

Leave a comment:

• Smurfette_76
    replied
    Let me clarify: You stated you wanted to be a Police Detective, that's not a State or Federal job. With regards to a state or federal job, without road experience, you're just another college graduate (unless you have uber military experience) and nothing to really offer, especially with only a four year degree.

It sounds a bit like you've seen Detectives on television and thought "Oh, I want to do that" which is all well and good, but you don't walk into that. You cannot find it in a book. I would even venture to say most of it cannot be taught to you; its a job you must experience to be any good at it. Therefore, if you want to be a POLICE Detective you are going to have to put your time in and learn something about something before that will EVER happen. If you want to be an AGENT, you better have more than a four year degree (string pulling, multiple languages, etc) to even get your foot in the door. Therefore, if you want to be anything in LE, you're going to have to start at the bottom. You write a bit like a female and while that would help a bit on the minority end of it, you're up against fierce competition from women that got their hands dirty to get where they are.

Leave a comment:

• ktsueren
    replied
    Well, I told you what it takes to be a Detective...which would be why agencies require the road to be a Detective. It only makes sense to have experience, otherwise how do you intend on doing the job?
    ok, i just wasn't sure if you were advising I be a street cop if I decide to go either a fed/state agency or police officer

Leave a comment:

• Smurfette_76
    replied
    Well, I told you what it takes to be a Detective...which would be why agencies require the road to be a Detective. It only makes sense to have experience, otherwise how do you intend on doing the job?

Leave a comment:

• ktsueren
    replied
    Originally posted by MethBuster View Post
    If you're interested in math, I'd go for something like accounting instead, and still minor in Spanish. Fed agencies love accountants and people who are bilingual, so it'd be a great course of study for you.
    ahhh very good idea

w/o street experience, you're just another applicant with a four year degree (with regards to state and federal agencies).
    okk, so you would suggest I do street work no matter what I decide?

Leave a comment:

• Smurfette_76
    replied
    w/o street experience, you're just another applicant with a four year degree (with regards to state and federal agencies).

Leave a comment:

• MethBuster
    replied
    If you're interested in math, I'd go for something like accounting instead, and still minor in Spanish. Fed agencies love accountants and people who are bilingual, so it'd be a great course of study for you.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3227 users online. 171 members and 3056 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X