300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead-foot deputies!

First off, I'm not complaining and I'm not telling on anyone.

That said, I commute everyday up and down I-35 in central Texas and I keep coming accross a recurring theme: at least twice a week, usually after dark, I, or other motorists, get passed at a high rate of speed by a certain county's SD deputies. I don't usually think twice about it because they're not running code and it doesn't particularly bother me, but lately they've started tailgaiting closely until we (regular motorists) are able to get out of the way. When I say closely, I mean if something happened requiring braking, there would be a collision. I used to think they were just hot-footing persons in custody to the jail, but I looked in the back seat of a few when they were illuminated and they were empty.

I'm just wondering if anybody has an idea what they're doing? If you'd like anymore details to form a hypothesis just ask.
    Last edited by CenTex; 11-02-2009, 01:54 PM.

This applies especially to deputies since they patrol the entire county, but cops often times have to get from A to B in a hurry. Each agencies has their own policies will dictate what type of calls are allowed to be responded to with lights and sirens (Code 3 is what we call it). You'd be surprised how few things fall into "Code 3" categories.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

To tag along on Sarges comments. It is actually faster here to run without lights and sirens. People brains fall out of their rear ends as soon as I hit the lights and sirens.

I mean stopping in the middle of the highway, refusal to yield, stopping across all lanes of traffic. I hate running code because it often is slower and causes more problems than a sane person would imagine. Every time I have a rider they are amazed at the sheer stupidity that ensues after I hit lights and sirens for a long code 3 run.
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Asshattery abounds...
        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by CenTex View Post

That said, I commute everyday up and down I-35 in central Texas and I keep coming accross a recurring theme: at least twice a week, usually after dark, I, or other motorists, get passed at a high rate of speed by a certain county's SD deputies. I don't usually think twice about it because they're not running code and it doesn't particular bother me, but lately they've started tailgaiting closely until we (regular motorists) are able to get out of the way. When I say closely, I mean if something happened requiring braking, there would be a collision. I used to think they were just hot-footing persons in custody to the jail, but I looked in the back seat of a few when they were illuminated and they were empty.

I'm just wondering if anybody has an idea what they're doing? If you'd like anymore details to form a hypothesis just ask.
          Departments don't run code for every call...

-SC
          Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
          - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
          MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
          Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
          Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
          Various Graduate Credits - UoP
          MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
          DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
            This applies especially to deputies since they patrol the entire county, but cops often times have to get from A to B in a hurry. Each agencies has their own policies will dictate what type of calls are allowed to be responded to with lights and sirens (Code 3 is what we call it). You'd be surprised how few things fall into "Code 3" categories.
            I understand completely Sgt. Are they allowed to give us a quick "Bwoop, bwoop" (You know what I mean) or a flash of the blues to convey that they are indeed needing to get somewhere for official business? It seems that would be a much safer and expeditious means to an end, rather than the aforementioned tailgaiting, especially when at night it can be hard to immediately recognise who is behind you.

Comment

That said, I commute everyday up and down I-35 in central Texas and I keep coming accross a recurring theme: at least twice a week, usually after dark, I, or other motorists, get passed at a high rate of speed by a certain county's SD deputies. I don't usually think twice about it because they're not running code and it doesn't particular bother me, but lately they've started tailgaiting closely until we (regular motorists) are able to get out of the way. When I say closely, I mean if something happened requiring braking, there would be a collision. I used to think they were just hot-footing persons in custody to the jail, but I looked in the back seat of a few when they were illuminated and they were empty.

Ok, so you are a "police academy student" right? So you are learing all this new neat things about police work, like using the word "code"?

Why not since you think something is up, call the SO and ask or complain? And please tell them when you call, that you are a police academy student. Or maybe just follow them for a bit and see what they are up too.

One thing you may not learn since you are not a LEO. Is they might have a call they are on. Ever think about that? A Highway is easily accessed for LEO's to respond to calls.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I understand completely Sgt. Are they allowed to give us a quick "Bwoop, bwoop" (You know what I mean) or a flash of the blues to convey that they are indeed needing to get somewhere for official business? It seems that would be a much safer and expeditious means to an end, rather than the aforementioned tailgaiting, especially when at night it can be hard to immediately recognise who is behind you.
                If have a complaint, address it to the SO in question.

-SC
                Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

They can, but normally that just scares the crap out of people. Not a good thing to do when we're driving at highway speeds. If they go off the road, then guess who's fault it is?
                  NRA Life Member

Comment

You don't speed like that when you have a prisoner so that wouldn't matter.

As stated, as deputies we have to get from one side of the county to the next to assist another officer or get to a call. Running lights and siren usually causes more problems than not. The only exception is in a busy city. Then you have to run lights and siren unless the call dictates a silent approach.

If it were me, I would have flashed my blues real quick if you weren't moving over. If you couldn't move over I'd wait but would be behind you in a manor that let you know I wasn't just admiring your bumper stickers.

Our jobs dictate that we need to get places fast. People need to understand this and stop thinking we're just doing it because the dunkin donuts is about to close.
                    We would run blue lights for that
                    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Then someone would be posting on here that officers do it just to get through traffic while not responding to a call. Much like citizens complain we do it to get through stop-lights etc.

Prior to becoming police, I never thought much about officers going down the road at a high rate of speed...in fact, I was quite happy about it. There is nothing more nerve wrenching then having an officer follow you for 20 miles down the highway. If they zip on past me, then I can go back to what I was doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor1430 View Post
                        Then someone would be posting on here that officers do it just to get through traffic while not responding to a call. Much like citizens complain we do it to get through stop-lights etc.

Prior to becoming police, I never thought much about officers going down the road at a high rate of speed...in fact, I was quite happy about it. There is nothing more nerve wrenching then having an officer follow you for 20 miles down the highway. If they zip on past me, then I can go back to what I was doing.
                        Let me piggy back on what you said.

When we drive down a highway at the speed limit guess what happens behind us? The entire interstate is lined up behind us like we're the pied piper because no one wants to pass. Having everyone stacked up like that is more dangerous than just having a police car on your tail waiting for you to move.

Unless I'm alone on the highway, I always go about 10mph over so that I'm passing traffic. This helps space everyone out.
                        Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                          Ok, so you are a "police academy student" right? So you are learing all this new neat things about police work, like using the word "code"?
                          With all due respect, sir, I feel that there is no need to berate me for advancing my knowledge and taking the initiative to pursue a career which I am very interested in. In addition, yes, I am a student at Central Texas College in their basic peace officer academy. I can change my original post to include the phrase "Lights and sirens" if it would appease you.

Why not since you think something is up, call the SO and ask or complain? And please tell them when you call, that you are a police academy student. Or maybe just follow them for a bit and see what they are up too.
                          I don't necessarily think "something is up" in a negative way, nor do I want to complain, as I previously stated, I simply wondered about this practice. Furthermore, I have no intentions of calling to bother the Sherriff's Office when this public forum with a section devoted to questions is readily available. But if I do, I'll be sure to tell them that I'm a Police Academy student and that I'm onto them.

One thing you may not learn since you are not a LEO. Is they might have a call they are on. Ever think about that? A Highway is easily accessed for LEO's to respond to calls.
                          Yes, the thought did cross my mind. However, since I'm not a police officer, I thought it reasonable to ask for a more informed answer than my own hypothesis, in a place where such questions are permitted. Thank you for your time, kind sir.

Originally posted by SleepyCop View Post
                          If have a complaint, address it to the SO in question.

-SC
                          As stated, I have no complaints on the matter and was only looking for general insight into the possibilities of what the deputies were doing, which you provided, and I thank you, SC.

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                          They can, but normally that just scares the crap out of people. Not a good thing to do when we're driving at highway speeds. If they go off the road, then guess who's fault it is?
                          Excellent input, Sgt. I hadn't thought about the liability thing. Thank you for your constructive and positive input!

Comment

A few things come to mind that you mentioned. Your thread is titled "Lead foot deputies" So us LEO's do wonder what you might be up to. Second, you mention that they are tailgating you and other drivers. Not once, but a "at least twice a week, after dark..."

This is the internet and since you are most likely paying for your "police academy", why not bring this subject up in your class. Just a thought obviously.
                            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

A few things come to mind that you mentioned. Your thread is titled "Lead foot deputies" So us LEO's do wonder what you might be up to. Second, you mention that they are tailgating you and other drivers. Not once, but a "at least twice a week, after dark..."

This is the internet and since you are most likely paying for your "police academy", why not bring this subject up in your class. Just a thought obviously.
                              The thread title is just a common colloquialism that I applied to the deputies since they frequently travel at higher than normal rates of speed. I had no idea that would be suspicious to police officers.

About your second point, yes, they do tailgate myself and other drivers in situations when we really don't have any place to go. For instance, if I'm in the left lane, there is a car ahead preventing me from speeding up, a car to the right preventing me from getting over, and the Deputy on my bumper. I-35 is busy in this county at all times of day and night and situations of not being able to get out of the way are common.

With regards to police academy, my main instructor is not exactly the Q&A type unless it pertains specifically to what we're learning about that day, otherwise I would've asked by now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4742 users online. 261 members and 4481 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X