300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• entering a home

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I need some info from someone in law enforcement. I need to know if for some reason you enter a home, you are looking around for some idea of what happened there, what would you look at? What would stand out for you? What kind of things as a law enforcement professional would stand out for you. Any help you can give me would be really appreciated. Thanks.
    Kellie

Originally posted by kellie856 View Post
    Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I need some info from someone in law enforcement. I need to know if for some reason you enter a home, you are looking around for some idea of what happened there, what would you look at? What would stand out for you? What kind of things as a law enforcement professional would stand out for you. Any help you can give me would be really appreciated. Thanks.
    Kellie
    Err... I'll let my brethren decide, but I'm fairly certain that's not allowed here. That's pretty much a tactics question, which I don't want to answer on an open forum.

-SC
    Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
    MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
    Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
    Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
    Various Graduate Credits - UoP
    MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
    DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Not going to get an answer here. Tactics are a no-no. Let me guess writing a book?
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

yeah, writing a book, thanks anyway though. Not a law enforcement book, just one of the characters is a law enforcement officer and I don't really know how to approach this one particular aspect. Thanks for your time.
        Kellie

Comment

Try getting a little more specific with what exactly your asking. The original post was so broad reaching no one wants to touch it and give up any information that could effect an officers safety or could hinder an investigation. Zero the question in a little and if the answers are not giving up any trade secrets you'll probably get some answers.
          There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men. - Edmund Burke

Comment

Okay, thanks. The situation is someone is sick and the staff at the hospital does not know what has made this person so sick so fast. The sick person is unresponsive so they cannot speak for themselves. The officer is requested to look around the house with a family friend to see if anything stands out to them. What I need to know is would you look in the fridge? Would you just take a quick look around or would you mostly let the family friend look around ? Thanks for any help.
            Kellie

Comment

If your asking about the rights of the police to enter ones home, I always went with this from my training: A warrant is required, or one of the 3 basic exceptions known as the three E's: 1) ESCAPE of a fellon in fresh pursuit
              2) EMERGENCY involving life and death or
              serious harm to a person
              3) Evidence - being destroed

It's been a while since I was in the academy but that's what I was taught. Check with others. I might be rusty and some things may have changed or been updated, but I doubt you'll go wrong with those basic rules of thumb.

Comment

Go find an Officer in person and ask them. You might find the answer that way.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                  Go find an Officer in person and ask them. You might find the answer that way.
                  x2

Your local PD should be willing to help you out. Go on a ride along and ask some questions. Ask them very nicely.

-SC
                  Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                  - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                  MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                  Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                  Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                  Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                  MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                  DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

thanks. I'll try that.
                    Kellie

Comment

Originally posted by kellie856 View Post
                      Okay, thanks. The situation is someone is sick and the staff at the hospital does not know what has made this person so sick so fast. The sick person is unresponsive so they cannot speak for themselves. The officer is requested to look around the house with a family friend to see if anything stands out to them. What I need to know is would you look in the fridge? Would you just take a quick look around or would you mostly let the family friend look around ? Thanks for any help.
                      Kellie

I just caught your follow up post before my last post which still stands, but based on that update I would say as long as you could articulate that you had reasonable grounds to enter anywhere and everywhere because you thought that a persons safety was endangered you should be fine. Quick story: I pulled a guy over for speeding once, and he said he was responding to his mothers house because she had a heart condition, a history of heart failure, wasn't answering the phone but should be home and answering. It was near 100 degrees that day. In any case I thought he was full of it. He had been driving about 20 minutes and still had at least 30 minutes of travel to his moms. I gave him another opportunity to tell me the truth if he was just nervous and concocting a story to get out of a ticket, but he stuck to it.
                      I then notified the desk and requested them to have EMS units respond to his moms residence. I kept him pulled over during this response which only took a few minutes. If it was true and she was dead he might of needed aid and might not of been able to drive. The EMS units rang the bell and knocked but got no response. Then they forcibly entered and thoroughly searched and found no one. My lieutenant was monitoring this from the station and was first to get the report back from EMS that it was unfounded and likely to be a bogus report. He immediately told me to hold the individual because he wanted to respond and personally deliver the news that he was full of poop, and that the front door of his mothers house had been reduced to saw dust and no longer existed. After discussing this with the lieutenant we decided that he had punished himself enough by lying and that we wouldn't charge him with filing a false report, but rather impounded his vehicle for motor vehicle violations and packed his sorry ***** into a taxi with a fist full of heavy duty motor vehicle summons's. EMS had no problem with that either because they got the chance to use a few fancy new rescue tools. Point is: it was all totally justified to enter the home based on the circumstances, and he's lucky that we didn't criminally charge him.

Comment

Originally posted by coach1299 View Post
                        I just caught your follow up post before my last post which still stands, but based on that update I would say as long as you could articulate that you had reasonable grounds to enter anywhere and everywhere because you thought that a persons safety was endangered you should be fine. Quick story: I pulled a guy over for speeding once, and he said he was responding to his mothers house because she had a heart condition, a history of heart failure, wasn't answering the phone but should be home and answering. It was near 100 degrees that day. In any case I thought he was full of it. He had been driving about 20 minutes and still had at least 30 minutes of travel to his moms. I gave him another opportunity to tell me the truth if he was just nervous and concocting a story to get out of a ticket, but he stuck to it.
                        I then notified the desk and requested them to have EMS units respond to his moms residence. I kept him pulled over during this response which only took a few minutes. If it was true and she was dead he might of needed aid and might not of been able to drive. The EMS units rang the bell and knocked but got no response. Then they forcibly entered and thoroughly searched and found no one. My lieutenant was monitoring this from the station and was first to get the report back from EMS that it was unfounded and likely to be a bogus report. He immediately told me to hold the individual because he wanted to respond and personally deliver the news that he was full of poop, and that the front door of his mothers house had been reduced to saw dust and no longer existed. After discussing this with the lieutenant we decided that he had punished himself enough by lying and that we wouldn't charge him with filing a false report, but rather impounded his vehicle for motor vehicle violations and packed his sorry ***** into a taxi with a fist full of heavy duty motor vehicle summons's. EMS had no problem with that either because they got the chance to use a few fancy new rescue tools. Point is: it was all totally justified to enter the home based on the circumstances, and he's lucky that we didn't criminally charge him.
                        That was quick? I fell asleep half way through that...lol
                        Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Originally posted by leesrt View Post
                          That was quick? I fell asleep half way through that...lol

Yeah sorry it was a little on the long side but it wasn't directed to you anyway. It was for the guy who asked, and BTW the last time I remember hearing anything about Georgia cops it was a training film from a Georgia's trooper dash cam about all the mistakes made and what not to do LOL

Comment

Originally posted by coach1299 View Post
                            Yeah sorry it was a little on the long side but it wasn't directed to you anyway. It was for the guy who asked, and BTW the last time I remember hearing anything about Georgia cops it was a training film from a Georgia's trooper dash cam about all the mistakes made and what not to do LOL
                            There you go again.

My detector is pegged.
                            sigpic
                            Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                            And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

I was thinking detector with that comment
                              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2791 users online. 158 members and 2633 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X