300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essay for School

Hello Officers, I am currently doing an essay for my english class on a topic of my choice and it must be a current issue so I have chosen gun violence. I am required to interview some people so I have decided to interview one of my professors who is also a police officer, however I also thought this was a good place to ask some questions and see how the answers vary throughout different locations in the United States. If anyone will take the time to answer some of these questions I will appreciate it a lot. Here are about six questions or so, you can either post them in here or PM me, that is all up to you. (For question 4 you do not need to go into detail if you do not want to.)

1) How many years have you been a law enforcement officer?

2) Do you think gun violence in your area is a problem? If so, why? If no, why not?

3) What can we as citizens do to suppress gun violence?

4) Have you or someone you’ve known ever been affected by gun violence?

5) Should there be more requirements in order to legally obtain a firearm? If so, what? If no, why not?

6) Should punishments be harsher for those who are found illegally possessing a firearm (especially convicted felons)? If so, what? If no, why not?

Thank you to anyone who responds to these questions!

Stay Safe
    Last edited by NextGenOfc; 10-29-2009, 02:36 PM.

1) Not Needed
    2) 30+
    3) Unnecessary for your purposes. Retired Sergeant
    4) No (Don't need to know Why Not? I guess you don't care. )
    5) Nothing. Guns don't in and of themselves cause violence. They are tools, which can be used by people to facilitate acts of unnecessary violence, or for lawful and good purposes.
    6) No, but I've known people who have been harmed by violent people using a variety of weapons.
    7) No. Many current restrictions have no impact other than to misdirect attention from the real causes of violence to an irrational fear of on inanimate object.
    8) Stiff penalties already exist, but aren't sufficiently enforced. What good is enacting more of them, if society doesn't have the means or will to enforce them either?

If you have your own agenda and don't really have the facts to support it, why not just write your paper based on your "feelings"? There's no real need to solicit the opinions of others on "feelings", since the feelings themselves are real, no matter what misunderstandings or fallacies their based upon.

Hope you make out with lots of goodies since Halloween is your birthday too!
    Last edited by pulicords; 10-29-2009, 10:42 AM.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

If you have your own agenda and don't really have the facts to support it, why not just write your paper based on your "feelings"? There's no real need to solicit the opinions of others on "feelings", since the feelings themselves are real, no matter what misunderstandings or fallacies their based upon.

I'll definitely introduce my opinion towards the end of the paper but I understand your other points you are making. And yes, some candy for me is in the forseeable future . Thank you for the response!

Comment

1. No officer will give you a name on a public forum.
        2. 18.5 years
        3. Same as #1, not on a public forum. My rank is "officer".
        4. Gun violence is not a big problem in my city, which is a suburb of Denver. We have about one murder per year with a firearm, some years we have none. There are many other crimes in which firearms are used such as robbery, felony menacing, ect...
        5. There is little an average citizen can do to supress gun violence. Another weapon, other than a firearm, can be used if a criminal is going to commit a crime. I feel that every responsible home owner should SAFELY and SECURELY store a firearm for use as self defense in the home.
        6. No, other than victims of crime I meet as part of my job.
        7. I would support a longer and more complete background check process.
        8. Those laws already exist in most states. We should just enforce the laws that we already have.
        Last edited by PRESSHRD5COPIES; 10-29-2009, 02:40 PM.
        I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

^ Thank You! I edited the questions a tad as some questions may not be answered due to this being in public view.

Comment

1) How many years have you been a law enforcement officer? 22

2) Do you think gun violence in your area is a problem? If so, why? If no, why not? Yes. The courts reduce/drop the charges too often, allowing offenders to continue in their pursuits.

3) What can we as citizens do to suppress gun violence? 1. Vote irresponsible judges out of office. 2. Keep your weapons properly secured when not on your person so they are harder to steal.

4) Have you or someone you’ve known ever been affected by gun violence? Yes.

5) Should there be more requirements in order to legally obtain a firearm? If so, what? If no, why not? NO! Punish the guilty, not the innocent.

6) Should punishments be harsher for those who are found illegally possessing a firearm (especially convicted felons)? If so, what? If no, why not?
            The penalties exist; they need to be enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
              1) Not Needed
              2) 30+
              3) Unnecessary for your purposes. Retired Sergeant
              4) No (Don't need to know Why Not? I guess you don't care. )
              5) Nothing. Guns don't in and of themselves cause violence. They are tools, which can be used by people to facilitate acts of unnecessary violence, or for lawful and good purposes.
              6) No, but I've known people who have been harmed by violent people using a variety of weapons.
              7) No. Many current restrictions have no impact other than to misdirect attention from the real causes of violence to an irrational fear of on inanimate object.
              8) Stiff penalties already exist, but aren't sufficiently enforced. What good is enacting more of them, if society doesn't have the means or will to enforce them either?

+1

I'm a retired Trooper, and I have never met, nor do I know of any other officer that has ever met a "violent gun".

I think you should mention in your "paper" that police officers use "guns" for good, every single day in the US and around the world.

Our soldiers have been using guns to insure your freedom since the revolutionary war.

I have never heard the terms "baseball bat violence" or "knife violence" or "knuckle violence" to refer to those items hurting or being used to hurt people. I have heard the term "gang violence" when a bunch of violent bangers get together and hurt someone. I have never heard of "alcohol violence" when someone gets drunk and beats up their wife or children. When someone is raped, is that "penis violence"?

The term "gun violence" was made up by people who are anti-firearm and actually believe that if all the guns are taken away from the people, and only the police have them, this will turn into a flower filled utopia with no more crime or bad people. The media use the term whenever possible, as they are rabidly anti-firearm. (which is very interesting when you consider how much they fight for their right of the press...) When you use the term, most officers that read your post, will believe you are exactly that type, and are looking for justification of your feelings.

We can't justify what isn't a true statement. Your question is faulty, and your paper will be based on a faulty premise. Good luck with it.
              As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

^ I believe citizens should have the right to possess a firearm unless something else prohibits it (psychological disorder, being a felon, etc.) I believe in people defending themselves when serious bodily harm may be present or they are in grave danger. Absolutely. My paper is based on those who do not use their guns properly and go out and commit violent acts against those who are living their normal lives. It is also about how guns influence crime by giving power to the person in which it is possessed by, or - the bad guys. This isn't an anti-firearm paper but I can see now by reading my questions how you came to the assumption.
                Last edited by NextGenOfc; 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenOfc View Post
                  Hello Officers, I am currently doing an essay for my english class on a topic of my choice and it must be a current issue so I have chosen gun violence. I am required to interview some people so I have decided to interview one of my professors who is also a police officer, however I also thought this was a good place to ask some questions and see how the answers vary throughout different locations in the United States. If anyone will take the time to answer some of these questions I will appreciate it a lot. Here are about six questions or so, you can either post them in here or PM me, that is all up to you. (For question 4 you do not need to go into detail if you do not want to.)

2) Do you think gun violence in your area is a problem? If so, why? If no, why not?

5) Should there be more requirements in order to legally obtain a firearm? If so, what? If no, why not?

Thank you to anyone who responds to these questions!

Stay Safe
                  1. Approximately 13.5 years, and hopefully I'll put my 30 in.
                  2. Gun violence is but a symptom of the real problem. People.
                  3. If you want to effectively reduce the amount of people killed every year by guns, you have to look at the root of the problem. People won't stop killing others if they had no firearms. Back when Cicero was murdered, did the assassin use a gun? No. Unfortunately there will always be violence of every kind.
                  4. I'm a cop in a big city... I see it almost everyday.
                  5. Texas law seems to have it worked out just fine.

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_tx.htm

6. See below:

§ 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM. (a) A person who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he possesses a firearm: (1) after conviction and before the fifth anniversary of the person's release from confinement following conviction of the felony or the person's release from supervision under community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is later; or (2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at any location other than the premises at which the person lives. (b) A person who has been convicted of an offense under Section 22.01, punishable as a Class A misdemeanor and involving a member of the person's family or household, commits an offense if the person possesses a firearm before the fifth anniversary of the later of: (1) the date of the person's release from confinement following conviction of the misdemeanor; or (2) the date of the person's release from community supervision following conviction of the misdemeanor. (c) A person, other than a peace officer, as defined by Section 1.07, actively engaged in employment as a sworn, full-time paid employee of a state agency or political subdivision, who is subject to an order issued under Section 6.504 or Chapter 85, Family Code, under Article 17.292 or Chapter 7A, Code of Criminal Procedure, or by another jurisdiction as provided by Chapter 88, Family Code, commits an offense if the person possesses a firearm after receiving notice of the order and before expiration of the order. (d) In this section, "family," "household," and "member of a household" have the meanings assigned by Chapter 71, Family Code. (e) An offense under Subsection (a) is a felony of the third degree. An offense under Subsection (b) or (c) is a Class A misdemeanor. Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Renumbered from V.T.C.A., Penal Code § 46.05 and amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 23, § 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2001; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 836, § 4, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Section: Previous 43.251 43.26 43.27 46.01 46.02 46.03 46.035 46.04 46.041 46.05 46.06 46.07 46.08 46.09 46.10 Next

Last modified: August 10, 2007

Note: I really wouldn't call any of this good information for a paper. What you should do, is call your local department and see if you can get an interview. Not only will you get better information that you can cite, you can also get your name in.

-SC
                  Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                  - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                  MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                  Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                  Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                  Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                  MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                  DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

What the heck is "gun violence?" Is it different from "knife violence" or "club violence?" There is no thing as "gun violence," people are violent, a gun just will sit there and rust.

25+ years

No, it is the people who are violent. There are many of those around.

Hold crook accountable for their actions.

I have dealt with violent offenders who were armed, but I don't blame the gun any more than the car that drove them to the scene of the crime. I had a great uncle commit suicide, but the gun didn't pull the trigger, he did.

A law abiding citizen has to go through a "instant" background check and answer inane questions on a form. What else do you need? Crooks don't go through this to obtain weapons, why would we restrict law abiding citizens their right to self protection? The "instant" background check has stopped a number of felons from obtaining weapons, but few have been prosecuted for trying to obtaining firearms illegally. So why add more laws when the ones on the books are not being enforced now?

See #5. They don't enforce the laws they have now, why add more?
                    Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

It is also about how guns influence crime by giving power to the person in which it is possessed by , or - the bad guys.
                      Therein lies your problem. You are assuming firearms somehow influence crime or criminals. They do not. Criminals will use whatever weapon of choice is available to them to exert their will on a victim. A Knife in the hand of a criminal gives them the same "power", so does a baseball bat. If a criminal wants to kill, they will. Think about 9/11. No guns used, and over two thousand people killed. Box cutters. Saddam used mustard gas. Criminals use knives every day to rob, rape, murder... Before guns were invented, people still killed people. Sometimes, in the thousands, or millions. Power is created when the victim submits to that power. The pilots and air crews aboard those two aircraft that hit the twin towers submitted to that power, the aircrews and passengers of the third aircraft did also, and the aircraft was flown into the Pentagon. The people in the fourth aircraft however... did not submit to that illusion of power (or did, then thought better of it), and at least prevented the terrorists from accomplishing their mission.

Firearms CAN be the great equalizer, giving victims the power to resist criminals and defend themselves. (Isn't that why LEO's carry?)

Just an FYI, in my prior profession I have witnessed many an armed person disarmed by someone using stealth and only a knife, or bare hands. A firearm only gives the illusion of power, not real power. I've had a firearm pulled on me twice in my lifetime, and in both instances, the power shifted in my favor very quickly. Does a firearm even have to be present for a victim to submit to the fear? As an example I propose the finger in the jacket pocket. No firearm is even there, but as long as the victim believes there is one, and submits to that belief, the illusion of power exists.

Don't believe everything you see and hear on TV.

Genghis Kahn never owned a gun.

If you magically were able to somehow remove every single firearm from the entire world today, people would still be getting robbed, raped, and murdered by criminals tomorrow. Crime does not exist because of a gun. It exists because criminals are criminals.
                      Last edited by grog18b; 10-30-2009, 07:47 AM.
                      As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

hmm, maybe I'll switch the topic over to gang problems in urban areas? Seems like there can be a lot to write about on that topic such as violence, drugs/drug trafficking, etc. Also narrows it down to urban areas as opposed to the United States like the gun topic.
                        Last edited by NextGenOfc; 10-29-2009, 07:04 PM.

Comment

1) How many years have you been a law enforcement officer? 18+

2) Do you think gun violence in your area is a problem? If so, why? If no, why not? no problem at all - we seem to have plenty to go around

3) What can we as citizens do to suppress gun violence? try not to isolate and/or discriminate between types of violence; violence is a human condition, guns do not cause violence any more than forks cause obesity or pencils cause misspelling

4) Have you or someone you’ve known ever been affected by gun violence? yes

5) Should there be more requirements in order to legally obtain a firearm? If so, what? If no, why not? no. however, there should be a requirement that every household not only own a firearm & ammunition, but that everyone in the houselhold be trained to use same. seems to work in Sweden, Switzerland, and other such civilized & more peaceful countries

6) Should punishments be harsher for those who are found illegally possessing a firearm (especially convicted felons)? If so, what? If no, why not? harsher? the legal punishments are already pretty harsh; how about they actually be imposed? places where laws are enforced instead of plead away or ignored seem to be making progress in this regard; cities where private citizens are discouraged and/or prohibited from owning firearms consequently seem to be the most violence-prone (compare any place in Vermont to Chicago or Detroit)
                          The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

Originally posted by THE BRONZE View Post
                            1) How many years have you been a law enforcement officer? 22

2) Do you think gun violence in your area is a problem? If so, why? If no, why not? Yes. The courts reduce/drop the charges too often, allowing offenders to continue in their pursuits.

3) What can we as citizens do to suppress gun violence? 1. Vote irresponsible judges out of office. 2. Keep your weapons properly secured when not on your person so they are harder to steal.

4) Have you or someone you’ve known ever been affected by gun violence? Yes.

5) Should there be more requirements in order to legally obtain a firearm? If so, what? If no, why not? NO! Punish the guilty, not the innocent.

The penalties exist; they need to be enforced.
                            +1 Just change the years to 23 and you have my answers as well.
                            Lighten up Francis!

Comment

EXCELLENT RESPONSES! All are correct!

DAs looking for a quick win will drop damn near any charge to get the guilty plea....laws are not being enforced/followed through as they should be.

Stricter laws will not help...criminals dont follow gun laws.

We all know soneone who has been affected by "gun violence"..be it family, neighbors or someone we contact on a call. We need to eradicate the problem...which are the criminals doing the illegal things with the gun.

No more life sentences...cut out the middle man and go staright to the chair..or hanging..or call me, as I will happily donate my own time and bullets to imposing the death penalty. Start getting some vacancy in the prison system to cure the "overcrowding" problem, thus eliminating the fear that there is no room for the bad guys.

got off on a rant for a bit...sorry

as you have surely ascertained by now, guns are never a problem, only a tool which dirt bags use to impose violence, intimidation and death on others...much like swords and axes in the middle ages.

hopefully you dont have an obama sucking lib for a professor and you will get an A
                              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6281 users online. 367 members and 5914 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X