300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I offend an officer?

I graduated from the academy in July, and about a month later I got a "fix it ticket" from a local sheriff for mudflap on my truck. No big deal, I understand why I got it and I deserved it. I read up on the V.C. that I was cited on and built mud flaps on my truck to meet the requirements. I had to take it down to the CHP inspection station to have it checked off, and the officer came out and looked at it and declared I didn't meet the requirements. He started to quote me specific numbers such as how many inches past the lip of the tire and and what percentage of the tire must be covered. I told him I didn't want to be argumentative but I would like an opportunity to plead my case with him. He smirked and said... give it a try kid. So I pulled out my V.C from my truck and opened it to the code I had been cited on and showed him that my flaps met the requirement and the numbers he had quoted did not even exist in the code. He got flustered and said I knew nothing and had no business trying to "school" him about his "bible". I remained very respectful and polite the whole time. I went home and talked to a friend who is a local sheriff and he came over and inspected my truck and promptly signed off on my ticket. I feel kind of bad like I shouldn't have even tried to plead my case with the chp. Do you guys think I was out of line? The guys was really nice except for our disagreement and I would hate to think that I offended an officer that I may one day have to work alongside.

Who cares? He's probably some jerk that got stuck at an inspection station and is now mad at the world and exercising his "authority." Then again, he may have been having a bad day. I don't know. I just wouldn't let it bother you.

Even if you find yourself working alongside him take this to heart, as I was told and have found to be true both as a coworker and a supervisor, "if you're doing your job right you're going to pyss somebody off." That is meant to apply to others you work with and not the general public since many of them will naturally be huffy with you just because of what you represent.

Comment

Nope, not at all. If I wasn't sure on an offense, or it changed without my notice, as much as it is embarassing, I'd say I appreciate it and go on... Some cops are just embarassed to say or have a pride issue to say, "I apologize."

Comment

He will get over it. I wouldn't worry about it more than a minute or so.
        Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Nope, you won. Nothing wrong about bringing something to someones attention when you know that they are mistaken.

Comment

Do you realize how many officers I've offended in my career? More than I can count.

We are brothers, but brothers fight... so don't worry, it'll be fine.

-SC
            Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
            - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
            MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
            Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
            Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
            Various Graduate Credits - UoP
            MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
            DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

I cant believe you got a ticket! are you a LEO??? or are you looking for a job???
              If you are LEO, did the citing officer know this and STILL wrote you??
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                I cant believe you got a ticket! are you a LEO??? or are you looking for a job???
                If you are LEO, did the citing officer know this and STILL wrote you??
                I'm not LEO yet, I have completed backgrounds with three agencies and would have a job right now but for some budgeting snafus.
                The officer who cited me knew I was recently out of the academy and thats why he gave me a fix it ticket and not a cite. I fully accept that I was in the wrong on that. The chp asked if I was in an academy and after confirming I was, he told me not to lecture him about the "bible" he has spent his entire career studying. At the time I shrugged it off as more of a nuisance in the process of getting the fix it ticket cleared up.

My friend who signed it off looked at my truck and was flabbergasted that I had been cited in the first place, but I live up in the mountains and fully understand why a leo would be concerned about the mud flap issue. I have written it off as "male pms"

Comment

Youll understand one day.

Everyone in this job has gone off on a person that they shouldnt have gone off on.

It happens, to many variables to assume anything.

You got your ticket fixed, be happy, and get used to it. Co workers are sometimes a holes, deal with it.

Comment

ARGUING

easier than admitting that you're wrong

Comment

He's already forgotten about the incident and probably the fact you exist. I wouldn't worry about it.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                        He's already forgotten about the incident and probably the fact you exist. I wouldn't worry about it.
                        Until he ends up being on the Oral board or your BI! Why did you even bring it up to him that you "grad" a Police Academy? What was the point there?
                        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Assuming that you were right and the officer was wrong, it is called "Contempt of Cop". Some guys get their feelings hurt anytime a citizen challenges thier authority. I wouldn't worry about it.
                          I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshCushing View Post
                            ...he told me not to lecture him about the "bible" he has spent his entire career studying.
                            Heh...you should've replied, "it seems you haven't studied enough" and then ducked for cover

When you're right you're right, and when you're wrong you're wrong. You were right, nothing to feel awkward about.

Comment

cops and lifted trucks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5884 users online. 348 members and 5536 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X